Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you call yourself an SJW?

Sals

(edited)

What exactly is the "gender gap"? Last I heard, there were more females than males in most developed countries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sex_ratio ( see fig. 1)

That's not the gender wage* gap.. or related at all. The gender gap is a difference in wages between women and men. Furthermore, if you read the rest of my post, you'd understand I also stated that it exists for both sides. 

Edited by ARagY
  • Brohoof 1

No, I am not an SJW I am a libertarian which is as far from a SJW as you can get. I strongly believe in the constitution and bill of rights, I believe that while racism, sexism, homophobia ect... are still here and still problems that identity victimhood politics that SJW's advocate makes these problems worse instead of better and needs to be stopped before it gets any worse. They have this idea that everything is political and everyone that disagrees is a bigot which only creates more hatred and division by poisoning the wells and radicalizing what are otherwise good causes. A philosophy that emphasizes subjective feelings over logic, reason and freedom and obsesses over first world problems is a philosophy that embraces intellectual and ethical mediocrity at best and outright authoritarianism at worst. The backlash against SJW's is one of the main reasons why Donald Trump who actually has rather shamelessly appealed to racist sentiments with this is the presumptive Republican Party nominee, let that sink in for a moment. 

As much as I hate SJW's and wish they would shut up and go away, they do actually have legitimate points on some issues even if their approach and reasoning is horrid. I agree that institutional racism is a serious problem in the criminal justice system, blacks and hispanics are considerably more likely to get harsher sentences for the same crimes as whites. Does this mean that white people have it made when it comes to criminal justice? No, everyone is having their rights violated this police state nonsense is out of control and is threat to everyone but blacks and hispanics are especially vulnerable. I also agree that societal gender roles are outdated and need to be re examined, and there are probably a few other things I can think of. I wish they would get rid of the bad ideas and keep the good ones they do have.

• Brohoof 5

That's not the gender wage* gap.. or related at all. The gender gap is a difference in wages between women and men. Furthermore, if you read the rest of my post, you'd understand I also stated that it exists for both sides. 

Oh, I did read your whole post (I'm not one of those guys). I was just confused by your use of the term "gender gap". If you meant some dipairity between the earnings of different sexes, that's usually referred to as the "wage gap".

Furthermore-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWBXbGVyQU

But that's besides the point. Your nonpartisian stance is appreciated.

• Brohoof 1

Being an active and regular Tumblr user, I see people like this all the time. But, I view it as the lesser of two evils. Have you ever actually read the stuff in any other part of the internet? youtube comments will make you lose your faith in humanity pretty quick if you're at all faint of heart. People being vehemently for social justice just seems less threatening to me than people being vehemently for racism and homophobia. And sadly, I see a ton of people who are. 

Are you one? Do you consider yourself to be one? Do you know anyone like this? Do you think their philosophies are right or wrong? Do you think they are crazy? 

1) Hell no!

2) Again, Hell no!

3)  Not that I know of.

4) Wrong. I mean they're trying to limit free speech and get into the business of everything. I say, let people do whatever the buck they want. I've always been a believer in that.

5) Not sure if I consider them crazy to be honest.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Being an active and regular Tumblr user, I see people like this all the time. But, I view it as the lesser of two evils. Have you ever actually read the stuff in any other part of the internet? youtube comments will make you lose your faith in humanity pretty quick if you're at all faint of heart. People being vehemently for social justice just seems less threatening to me than people being vehemently for racism and homophobia. And sadly, I see a ton of people who are. 

However, you then run into a situation where the people for social justice are racist, sexist and/or heterophobic and have a victim complex. I've long been aware that people on the internet can be toxic and have gotten used to it. But I perceive SJWs to be a new form of toxic.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 4

However, you then run into a situation where the people for social justice are racist, sexist and/or heterophobic and have a victim complex. I've long been aware that people on the internet can be toxic and have gotten used to it. But for me, SJWs are a new form of toxic.

The majority of people are heterosexual tho. These are people who probably feel victimized and threatened as a minority group... I'm bi myself, although I'm not "heterophobic" I don't think the people we're talking about necessarily are. It's probably just them taking out their anger on the people they feel oppressed by, so they probably do plenty of exaggeration about injustices etc. Sjws aren't the majority of people. In fact, their opponents are probably the majority, which is why they feel the need to make a ton of noise. Inasmuch as you hear any other group of people pushing something aggressively, I don't really see them as a threat. A lot of what lies behind their misguided rage are worthy causes and important issues too. Or, often enough, just making fun of people "on the outside". 

Don't get me wrong, I know what's wrong with them, but if I had to choose, I'd rather side with them than their direct opponents, who are very much alive, active, and often just as loud. 

I read an article once I thought had a really interesting quote that would pertain to this discussion.

"The occasional overly pedantic Tumblr user targeting white men in power is dwarfed by the thousands of racist, sexist, and homophobic tirades which flood online comments sections every single day. Who’s the real problem here?"

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I read an article once I thought had a really interesting quote that would pertain to this discussion.

"The occasional overly pedantic Tumblr user targeting white men in power is dwarfed by the thousands of racist, sexist, and homophobic tirades which flood online comments sections every single day. Who’s the real problem here?"

Answer: the overly pedantic Tumblr user.

A person may act completely inappropriately online, because they know they can get away with it. They know what they're doing, and 'most' are not dumb enough to act that way in the real world. SJWs, on the other hand, actually believe what they are doing is for the good of humanity, and often congregate to force their beliefs to be accepted. Just type "SJW protest" in YouTube, and you'll understand.

Edited by TopQuark
  • Brohoof 2

Yes, I am an unashamed SJW. People throw around words like "freedom of speech" and "censorship" despite not knowing what they mean. "Freedom Of Speech" means the government can't silence you. It does not however mean that privately owned forums can't ban you for saying something offensive. Or to put it in more real world terms, it does not mean that I can't kick someone out of my home for calling me "a f*cking tr*nny"

• Brohoof 3

Answer: the overly pedantic Tumblr user.

A person may act completely inappropriately online, because they know they can get away with it. They know what they're doing, and 'most' are not dumb enough to act that way in the real world. SJWs, on the other hand, actually believe what they are doing is for the good of humanity, and often congregate to force their beliefs to be accepted. Just type "SJW protest" in YouTube, and you'll understand.

Really? Because if I recall correctly, there has been a sharp rise in white nationalist/neo nazi activity in Europe. Parties such as the Jobbik party in Hungary and Golden Dawn in Greece are becoming more popular by the day, and more often than not they congregate online in some of the.......weirder corners of social media, such as that one board on 4chan I'm not even going to utter the name of, some parts of youtube, and /r/european, which was so popular the site staff had to quarantine it. So I'd argue that the racist moron in the youtube comments section is much more harmful, because, unlike a pendantic tumblr user, his beliefs are so much more represented IRL in the form of all these nationalist, neo-nazi political parties.

Being an active and regular Tumblr user, I see people like this all the time. But, I view it as the lesser of two evils.

Actually there are several extreme SJW's that are just as racist, sexist and bigoted as many of the people traditionally viewed as such. Have you heard some of the things the Black Lives Matter Movement has said? All you need to do with many of their statements is switch around a few words and you would think they were the KKK. It is because their definition of equality stems from cultural marxism which says that there are certain groups with privilege (usually white males) which benefits them and that to have true equality you need to get rid of this so called privilege to secure "equality" for oppressed groups. It is a flawed strawman argument based premise that speaks to humanity as if it were a collective of groups that function like some hive mind which is completely contrary to how things actually work. Once you place collective rights over individual rights, it results in a rather dangerous situation where the rights of individuals and in many cases even groups are violated in favor of others resulting in a de facto mob rule.

The majority of people are heterosexual tho. These are people who probably feel victimized and threatened as a minority group... I'm bi myself, although I'm not "heterophobic" I don't think the people we're talking about necessarily are. 

True, I don't think heterophobia is all that common, but there is a lot of self hatred among many SJW's which is particularly bad with all the white guilt. Yes some racist people did some horrible things in the past, but I fail to see how anyone alive is responsible for that today. It seems to make it more difficult to take the proper lessons from the past and apply them to today. If everything is racist, sexism, homophobic ect... than how are people supposed to confront actual examples of bigotry when everything is painted with such a broad brush? I will admit that I engaged in a little bit of self hatred myself many years ago.

Yes, I am an unashamed SJW. People throw around words like "freedom of speech" and "censorship" despite not knowing what they mean. "Freedom Of Speech" means the government can't silence you. It does not however mean that privately owned forums can't ban you for saying something offensive.

True, private forum owners and other property owners have the right to their own policies even if some of them may be a tad draconian. But some SJW's have gone much further than this and have used authority in many public spaces like universities for example to silence people which since public universities receive taxpayers funds is just as bad as the government silencing people and are becoming an increasingly strong presence in politics with many politically correct pro censorship policies having an increasingly disturbing effect on public policy.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

1.Are you one?

2.Do you consider yourself to be one?

3.Do you know anyone like this?

4.Do you think their philosophies are right or wrong?

5.Do you think they are crazy? 

1.Not ever would I be one, calling a right-winger an SJW is like calling fire cold.

2.Not at all, I would consider myself a tree or a doorknob before I would an SJW.

3.Not in the circle of friends I have however I have encountered SJWs before on of course sites like tumblr and 4chan.

4.I think they are just hopping on the bandwagon just like the urbandic article makes out perfectly for their own personal gain. So I think they are wrong and I also do not agree with them over analyzing every single word that people say just to get "offended" especially pronouns and adjectives. They look into every single thing and try to find problems that don't exist, like freedom of speech has different definitions publicly and privately. Publicly, you can criticize something within the boundaries of the law. Privately, the freedom of speech or possibly "freedom of opinion" to make it clearer, is designed for the owner of the private organization, enterprise, whatever. SJWs use the private saying that entitled whites use it to discriminate. When in fact it's not its to protect your views and the views of the other.

5.Yes I think they are crazy, they attack freedom of speech which is the only thing that allows them to exist at all, it's like trying to tear your brain out, completely irrational. 

Edited by Rainbow Dashe
  • Brohoof 1

Ok. Now that I see people who agree with me I will add my two cents. MY only two cents.

I am not an SJW. I believe that they are regressives, they want to push the world back into the the stupid mindset it had. They don't know that the "mountains" that they step on are smaller than tiny ant piles. I encounter them everyday and I even live with one. I am glad we have people who understand these people and what their problem is.

• Brohoof 1

Ok. Now that I see people who agree with me I will add my two cents. MY only two cents.

I am not an SJW. I believe that they are regressives, they want to push the world back into the the stupid mindset it had. They don't know that the "mountains" that they step on are smaller than tiny ant piles. I encounter them everyday and I even live with one. I am glad we have people who understand these people and what their problem is.

You have no idea what an SJW is. I am an SJW because problems like racism. sexism, transphobia, etc, are serious problems, and we can't solve them by simply "ignoring them until they go away". We are progressives.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You have no idea what an SJW is. I am an SJW because problems like racism. sexism, transphobia, etc, are serious problems, and we can't solve them by simply "ignoring them until they go away". We are progressives.

Solving said problems by blocking college students from getting to their classes that they pay to go to is not the way to fight problems. You also do not solve problems by having "safe spaces" where violence is used to get anyone out that isn't allowed in said safe space. Besides, racism is very very miniscule in America. The owners of newscasts and such just make it seem like such a big deal when an African American gets shot because they were doing a crime. If you want me to fish out some evidence of this happening I will do it for you. I am just saying from personal experience that SJWs are very regressive minded and I am not sure you have our head on right looking at an issue like this.

Edit: Plus, come on. There were so many other posts you could have commented on. Also. I think I would know how it feels to be discriminated against, my life is waaay different from the average joe

Edited by Sals
  • Brohoof 1

Now, I just want to know your thoughts.

Are you one?

Do you consider yourself to be one?

Do you know anyone like this?

Do you think their philosophies are right or wrong?

Do you think they are crazy? 

1.No

2.No.

3.Yes.

4.Wrong. Too extreme.

5.Mostly yes.

• Brohoof 1

@@Sals, You CANNOT deny the racism of America's police force. Police brutality is a problem.

I don't doubt that there are racist cops out there, but watching the news makes this appear as though it is a black and white issue, when it isn't. I see no outrage over Latinos or Asians being shot by police. On the flip side, I see no outrage over the unwarranted brutality that is committed by black cops.

Police brutality is a problem, I agree. But so is the race bating that has caused these great tensions between black and white communities today.

• Brohoof 3

Who would call themselves a SJW? In fact lot of the SJWs are calling others that aren't SJWs SJWs. Dafuq?

Maybe a few of them are, but a lot of them do and have used the term "social justice" forever tainting it the mockery of which gave birth to the term. There are many movements on the left that are trying to "take back" certain terms and phrases that can sometimes be disparaging meaning that it wouldn't surprise me if a large number of SJW's tried to do the same thing with the term "SJW".