Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you call yourself an SJW?

Sals

(edited)

Jeric answered these questions the best I think, but allow me to toss in my ten cents. 

Are you one?

No, but  I have been called an SJW a few times since I enjoy pointing out the witch hunting mentality that's been going on. 

Then again I've also been called a Libertarian, No good Capitalist,  Communist, Leftist, Far Rightist, Liberal, Conservative and an internalized Misogynist. I'm always interested in what people will label me next. 

Do you consider yourself to be one?

I consider myself to be a person who's opinions change depending on the amount of information provided. I may lean more towards one side or the other all depending on a variety of factors. So no I don't consider myself to be one. I don't consider myself to be a part of almost any group.

Do you know anyone like this?

Yes, but my group of comrades vary in ethical, political and social views so there's that.  I tend to surround myself with those who I can have a good debate with rather than people who stick their fingers in their ears and not listen. This is my inner circle though, outer circle I have some extremists but nothing too serious. 

Do you think their philosophies are right or wrong?

What Philosophy? Is there an SJW book I'm not aware of? It depends on what it is, some can be considered right some can be considered wrong. This question is far too black and white on an issue that isn't.

Do you think they are crazy? 

As in clinically insane? No. I'm sure some are extremists that do make others who are more on the activist side look bad, but as I've stated many times before those come on all sides. Like Jeric, I do believe that tribalism is certainly at play here but that also goes for those who believe they're the scourge of the internet that must be destroyed. 

Edited by Seraph

@@Sals, You CANNOT deny the racism of America's police force. Police brutality is a problem.

It is literally not as big of a problem as people make it! In fact we should focus on more tougher challenges like, human trafficking, cartels, people selling illegal drugs, and guess what, the Black Market! You are making one tiny ant hill turn into a giant mountain taller than Everest. This is not another Civil RIghts movement, it is a parody of a bunch of people who have to much time on their hands.

• Brohoof 1

@@Sals, Those are also problems, but the fact that you don't think police brutality is a problem worthy of fixing shows how privileged you are. You don't think its that big of a problem because you never experienced it. Not everyone who is killed by police is a criminal. Did those police officers REALLY need to choke out that man? And Treyvon Martin did not deserve to die for "looking suspicious", and of course he would defend himself, he was being followed by a strange man. Lets not forget Sandra Bland, who was killed in police custody. And many more.

And more recently, there is this: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/beautiful-22-year-old-mom-symone-marshall-dies-police-custody-article-1.2639562

• Brohoof 1

I do believe that tribalism is certainly at play here but that also goes for those who believe they're the scourge of the internet that must be destroyed. 

For some of them yes, but many of them are people like me are just pissed off because we don't like authoritarians no matter what their motivation telling us what to do and interfering in our lives. Simply put I despise SJW for same reason I despise the religious right, because they are trying to impose their will on others and push for their own flavor of collectivism which is nearly always based on collectivism rather than individualism. It is not selfish to not like it when people think they can run your own life better than you can, there are examples of course when bigotry can threaten the rights of others and those should be dealt with but there does need to be some acknowledgment that America is no longer the Jim Crow South and that government cannot and should not be made to solve every single problem.

The internet "witch hunt" as you put it started because some particularly extreme SJW's like Anita Sarkeesian kept pushing the whole "video games are sexist and oppressive to women" narrative no matter how much that was completely and thoroughly debunked by actual gamers and industry insiders. It was the Anita Sarkeesians of the world that started are continuing to wage a witch hunt and this has resulted in a very powerful backlash, one where I will admit some are going a tad too far (Donald Trump getting as far as he has is a sad indication of this). Most people don't like it when things that were never meant to be political get politicized, a lot of times people want to pop in a game and forget the world for a while and messing with the personal like that tends to result in yet even further political polarization as well as actual problems with bigotry getting ignored because it becomes nearly impossible to tell if it is extreme SJW's being extreme SJW's again or if it is the real deal this time.

• Brohoof 1

@@Shanks, How is the gaming industry not sexist? BTW, you can be sexist without meaning to be sexist. Also gaming people saying "the gaming industry isn't sexist" is like a police officer saying "the police are not racist".

That is a big fat generalization. Not every police officer is racist. That is like saying every person who is happy with their gender is transphobic. It is clearly not true. There are games that make females look powerful and then there are games that are made for there to be knight and princesses. Think of Metroid, you didn't even know she was a female but she still kicked butt! How are you not going to say that isn't a feminist jab at the gaming industry? How are you going to say that in Beyond Two Souls, the main character, Jodie is not powerful? And don't you even say Aiden is a guy because we don't know that. I think you look at the negative too much because that is what SJW like minded people do. Because they are regressives and will forever be, regressives.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I am an unashamed SJW. People throw around words like "freedom of speech" and "censorship" despite not knowing what they mean. "Freedom Of Speech" means the government can't silence you. It does not however mean that privately owned forums can't ban you for saying something offensive. Or to put it in more real world terms, it does not mean that I can't kick someone out of my home for calling me "a f*cking tr*nny"

Very true, many people feel like they have their freedom of speech violated when someone criticizes them for saying something. When somebody uses force or threats to silence you, whether they're government or anybody else, that's where the line is drawn.

(edited)

@Shanks

You and I already discussed this exact thing in a previous thread that had been locked and cleaned up by the mods. This was when I was accused of purposing a false Equivalency when I provided more than enough information to prove otherwise.  I'd rather not get into another in-depth discussion that doesn't progress that would require a mod clean up for going off topic. 

Edited by Seraph

@@Shanks, How is the gaming industry not sexist? BTW, you can be sexist without meaning to be sexist. Also gaming people saying "the gaming industry isn't sexist" is like a police officer saying "the police are not racist".

How the fuck is it?

Besides "muh gold bikinis," I have yet to hear even a solitary reason for why anyone would believe this tripe.

And if you honestly believe that the entire industry is sexist simply because fantasy RPGs depict women (who are statistically just as powerful as male characters) in skimpy clothing, then I don't even know what can be said.

No, but  I have been called an SJW a few times since I enjoy pointing out the witch hunting mentality that's been going on. 

This is actually an extremely good and important point.

I have very outspoken anti-SJW views, yet even I have been labeled an SJW at times for a variety of petty reasons. Witch hunting is the real deal, and despite my feelings on the matter, it is something I refuse to take part in

• Brohoof 4

How is the gaming industry not sexist? BTW, you can be sexist without meaning to be sexist. Also gaming people saying "the gaming industry isn't sexist" is like a police officer saying "the police are not racist".

Gamers have a bit more credibility on this because they actually understand what they are talking about because they actually play the games that are supposedly sexist and therefore understand them. The same isn't the case for police because while only a cop knows what it is like to be a cop, they are authority figures and are thus capable of abuse of power and part of that is some good old fashioned white washing. In this case a game having sexually suggestive content dosen't mean it is oppressive to women and suggesting otherwise is a bit insulting because it treats women like children that need to be shielded and codled.

You and I already discussed this exact thing in a previous thread that had been locked and cleaned up by the mods. This was when I was accused of purposing a false Equivalency when I provided more than enough information to prove otherwise.  I'd rather not get into another in-depth discussion that doesn't progress that would require a mod clean up for going off topic. 

Yes, we had but that was then and this is now and you being a backseat moderator dosen't count as ignoring me or diffusing the situation, it is just being smug and self serving. I am not perfect but at least I am no white knight.

• Brohoof 3

This is actually an extremely good and important point. I have very outspoken anti-SJW views, yet even I have been labeled an SJW at times for a variety of petty reasons. Witch hunting is the real deal, and despite my feelings on the matter, it is something I refuse to take part in
It should be behavior, not political, social, or economic stances, which identify people with this pejorative. I've had reasonable discussions with communists and the like, without either party resorting to ad hominem (various -ists and -phobes) or censorship (b&).

Just don't be a trigglypuff and I'll have a discussion with you. :D

Yes, we had but that was then and this is now and you being a backseat moderator dosen't count as ignoring me or diffusing the situation, it is just being smug and self serving. I am not perfect but at least I am no white knight.
Damn. Shanks bringin the heat.
  • Brohoof 2

Alright guys, time to step back and chill out. I can already see where things are going so Im only going to say this once, keep things respectful.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
Yes, we had but that was then and this is now and you being a backseat moderator dosen't count as ignoring me or diffusing the situation, it is just being smug and self serving. I am not perfect but at least I am no white knight.

How is me saying:

You and I already discussed this exact thing in a previous thread that had been locked and cleaned up by the mods. This was when I was accused of purposing a false Equivalency when I provided more than enough information to prove otherwise.  I'd rather not get into another in-depth discussion that doesn't progress that would require a mod clean up for going off topic. 

Any of those things you stated above?

How is it smug? Is it because I brought up an example of a false equivalence, and how I provided evidence proving I wasn't making a false equivalence after being accused of that?It was the clearest example of the post I could think of at the time, so I used it as a reference point. If me bringing this up sounded smug, that wasn't my intent at all. 

Self-Serving? Is it because I didn't want to debate with you about the same thing ad-nauseam? Since if that's why you used term, that's not what it means. It means "concern for one's self over others," and that's not at all what I was doing.

I am not perfect but at least I am no white knight.

What does the “white knight”-thing have anything to do with it? Why are you using that term? Are you saying "at least I'm not some guy who comes to a girls aide for no reason"? Or "I'm not going to stop debating you all because you're a girl"? Because I certainly wouldn't want you to and I don't know why you even said that. It has almost to do with this conversation. I just don't want to repeat myself to you over and over again about the same thing.

It's not that I wouldn't want to have a discussion, just not the same one we have already had, that the mods already knocked down once. 

This is actually an extremely good and important point.   I have very outspoken anti-SJW views, yet even I have been labeled an SJW at times for a variety of petty reasons. Witch hunting is the real deal, and despite my feelings on the matter, it is something I refuse to take part in

That's good; people get whipped up into the witch hunting frenzy fairly quickly when it comes to outing "those pesky SJWs" and "those misogynistic trolls", to the point where it gets me quite concerned. It reminds me more and more of the witch trials every time I see it pop up.

Edited by Seraph

No, i'm not a SJW and never will be. I've seen some of the things they have said like kill all men, male tears and more, i don't know anyone who is a SJW and i will never associate myself with those nasty people.

• Brohoof 2

That's good; people get whipped up into the witch hunting frenzy fairly quickly when it comes to outing "those pesky SJWs" and "those misogynistic trolls", to the point where it gets me quite concerned. It reminds me more and more of the witch trials every time I see it pop up.

Such is the dark side of any movement or counter-movement. I can't speak for anybody else, but I chose the side of free speech and free thought, and I intend to practice what I preach.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Sals, You CANNOT deny the racism of America's police force. Police brutality is a problem.

You are correct about Police Brutality being a problem.

You are are however quite wrong about the police force being racist. This whole "more blacks are being killed than whites" thing is made up.

In fact, more Caucasian people were killed by the police than african-americans.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/21/police-kill-more-whites-than-blacks-but-minority-d/?page=all

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...
On 5/20/2016 at 7:21 PM, GenderIsAnIllusion said:

No, i am not a communist, but hey thanks for asking :)

I know this person is banished, buuuuut, I second this! 

• Brohoof 2

On 5/20/2016 at 8:21 PM, GenderIsAnIllusion said:

No, i am not a communist, but hey thanks for asking :)

SJWism has literally nothing to do with communism... From my perspective this almost makes you sound like a far right and far gone anti-SJW. Maybe that's why you were banned. :huh:

I am not an SJW. I don't cater to stupid neoliberal centrist nonsense pretending to be left-wing (when its not) and fake outrage for the sake of it. I've been called one a few times, and also been attacked by a few of those as well.

Edited by Aangel Dust

I mean...

I blocked a few people on Instagram. Mainly because one called me a "crazy feminist who just wanted attention" I also blocked this one guy because he was a stalker, and another guy because he was too clingy and didn't get the hint that I didn't want to be his friend anymore. Because at this point, he would get mad if I didn't reply for a FEW HOURS. 

I wouldn't call myself one though...

There are just a lot of weirdos on Instagram.

But no, I wouldn't consider myself one.

No, definitely not, I dislike SJW's.

They like to think they are somehow super moral and better than everyone else but they're not, they're bullies, cowards and hypocrites who follow their extremist ideology with a cult-like/religious vigour. They don't care who they hurt or the damage they cause to society as for them the ends always justify the means and what they do will never help anyone or anything as all they do is sow division and make everyone hate each other.

I've seen too many formerly good people succumb to this cult and have lost friends to it, I hope one day they have an epiphany and finally realise they're the baddies but I doubt that will happen.

Edited by Rainbow Cloud
  • Brohoof 1

Are you one?
No

Do you consider yourself to be one?
No

Do you know anyone like this?
No

Do you think their philosophies are right or wrong?
How would I know?

Do you think they are crazy? 
Maybe? I know I am crazy.

• Brohoof 1

No, I wouldn't call myself a label that no one appears to use about themselves (apart from some who use it ironically) and mostly used as an insult. :ButtercupLaugh: It's a meaningless label at any rate when even the people who use it seem to disagree on what actually constitutes one.

• Brohoof 5