Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will the movie outdo Frozen?

ManaMinori

You lost me at "that's not the kind of sucess mlp needs"

What?

No seriously, what?

Who wouldn't want that kind of sucess Frozen is getting?!?!

There is a thing called "over exposure."

Having lots of success, dosen't always mean better.

Maybe the writers and directors wouldn't like that.

• Brohoof 1

I will be honest, I have not seen Frozen at all, so maybe my opinion has no weight, but I think that Frozen is incredibly overrated. What about it justifies all of this hype and product? The movie is definitely been put into that basket a lot, being marketed to hell and back.

Even though Frozen seems overrated, I doubt the MLP movie can spark something like that. Depends on the initial ticket sales, which plays a huge role and then how much it can be marketed afterwards.

I can't even see this movie getting half the money an average Disney movie would gross. It's not like everyone is demanding an MLP movie to come out or anything. From my experience, all movies based off other entertainment (tv series, games, music) are forgotten after a week. I'm not saying that it won't do well, but for it to complete with Frozen is stretching it a skosh.

Yes, I am 100% positive that the MLP movie will smash the box office and merch sales for:

sig-4536352.frozen.jpg

Wait, what were you talking about?  :lol:

Totally, the MLP movie will destroy Frozen

Why not? And maybe the sky will be green tomorrow.

You never no my bearded friend

I'm still on the fence as to whether the FiM movie will even be good. Have we already forgotten the Equestria Girls movies? Or does the mere fact that the characters are quadrupedal again mean that those don't count?

20-40 minute self contained episodes are one thing, and the latter already has a tendency to feel a bit stretched sometimes, but a feature length film is a different can of worms.

Comparing it to the likes of Frozen and Zootopia? Fat chance.

Except that the show's best writers are working on it plus one of the screenwriters for Toy Story 2 and Mulan, not to mention a talented voice cast, orchestral score, and much higher quality animation.

You lost me at "that's not the kind of sucess mlp needs"

I wasn't necessarily implying that kind of success would be a bad thing, financially it would probably be good. Though there are potential downsides to that kind of insane popularity.

I just meant it's not the kind it needs as in, it doesn't need to be that big, or even close to that big for Hasbro to view it as a success. I'm sure Hasbro would love for the MLP movie to get super duper popular as Frozen and bring in tons of cash, but I doubt they expect that, and the movie won't be viewed as a failure simply because it doesn't reach that level. 

I wasn't necessarily implying that kind of success would be a bad thing, financially it would probably be good. Though there are potential downsides to that kind of insane popularity.

I just meant it's not the kind it needs as in, it doesn't need to be that big, or even close to that big for Hasbro to view it as a success. I'm sure Hasbro would love for the MLP movie to get super duper popular as Frozen and bring in tons of cash, but I doubt they expect that, and the movie won't be viewed as a failure simply because it doesn't reach that level.

i get that, because mlp has over 35 years on it, and FiM, 5 going on 6

But this is its first movie. The franchise of pony as a whole is pushing 40

I think, if anything, they should be trying to reach Frozen's level of sucess

Trying to beat Frozen is insane. I just want the movie... still a FIM that I knew and loved, that all.

About Frozen, it is overrated. Every disney movie recently is overrated. Big hero 6 is decent, Frozen is fine, Zootopia is enjoyable, but none of them can beat 90s Disney 2D films.

Trying to beat Frozen is insane. I just want the movie... still a FIM that I knew and loved, that all.

About Frozen, it is overrated. Every disney movie recently is overrated. Big hero 6 is decent, Frozen is fine, Zootopia is enjoyable, but none of them can beat 90s Disney 2D films.

Zootopia is a masterpiece, Big Hero 6/W-I-R/Tangeled were really good, Frozen was okay.

Honestly if anything' overrated it's Pixar. All of their films besides Inside Out recently have been bad at best, and their future slate looks like a sellout.

(edited)

This is not impossible, but still very highly improbable, mainly on the vast differences between the marketability of the Disney and My Little Pony brands. Whereas MLP is a movie selling toys, the movie Frozen is the centerpiece of its respective franchise. In addition, MLP's main audiences are two distinctive niches; females 2-11 as well as the web-based fandom, while Disney is all about general audiences even if the toys and merchandise are marketed heavily to girls.

For one, account that the brony niche is hard to measure in its exact size, and on top of that, doing market research on us is hard because so many of us don't contribute financially to the franchise for a myriad of reasons. In addition, take into account the two separate animation styles and how general audiences (non-animation fans) would react to them (they would react more positively to big-budget CGI than even the most polished version of this show's simple Flash art style, 9 times out of 10). On top of that, Hasbro has a fraction of the promotional resources Disney has, and Discovery Family is a low-rating channel. Add to that the historical "just for girls" stigma that the MLP franchise continues to have attached to it despite everything it does and you have a number of reasons why it's not fair to raise such high expectations on this film.

Being optimistic, I'd give it about $250 million internationally, and I'd expect its strongest international performance to come from Latin America and Spain, where FiM has a trend of being very successful.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

i get that, because mlp has over 35 years on it, and FiM, 5 going on 6

But this is its first movie. The franchise of pony as a whole is pushing 40

I think, if anything, they should be trying to reach Frozen's level of sucess

I get your sentiment, but to "aim" for that, Hasbro needs to invest a lot more, and it becomes risky to do so. Especially when they aren't certain if people are going to come and see it. This is sort of a "dark" film in that it's success is a bit "unknown" at the moment.

I get your sentiment, but to "aim" for that, Hasbro needs to invest a lot more, and it becomes risky to do so. Especially when they aren't certain if people are going to come and see it. This is sort of a "dark" film in that it's success is a bit "unknown" at the moment.

Basically it's high risk high reward. Which I'm glad. I'd much rather them take a chance on an amazing movie then play it safe with a meh movie.

• Brohoof 2

Frozen has the Disney brand on it. I have faith pony movie will perform well, but let's be real, it won't outperform Frozen, nor any Disney movie ever

• Brohoof 1

Frozen has the Disney brand on it. I have faith pony movie will perform well, but let's be real, it won't outperform Frozen, nor any Disney movie ever

Hasn't Disney had the most flops out of any company too? Black Cauldron, Atlantis, Home on the Range, John Carter, Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland, Good Dinosaur, and more I'm forgetting.

Hasn't Disney had the most flops out of any company too? Black Cauldron, Atlantis, Home on the Range, John Carter, Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland, Good Dinosaur, and more I'm forgetting.

They've had a ton more highs than lows, and that's not even factoring in the MCU or TFA

Why are so many people focused on box office revenue? Anyway, no way it even sniffs Frozen's numbers.

Only if Half-Life 3 comes out the day before and Sanders get elected. You're talking about Hasbro, a company primarily focused on toys and board games going up against a multinational media conglomerate which subsidiaries include, but not limited to:

• Marvel Entertainment, a entertainment company that is known for Marvel Comics and the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Captain America: Civil War is the most recent movie in the MCU and has grossed far beyond $1m as of last week.
  • Lucasfilm, and film and television production company that has created successful film franchises such as Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and The Land Before Time.
  • Pixar, a American computer animation film studio that has released genre defining 3D animated films such as Toy Story, The Incredibles, and WALL-E.

Hasbro has been successful in their own right as well, releasing several successful toy-lines that has even found their way into the silver screen and having been around as long as Disney, both companies opening in the early 1920s. But the fact of the matter is Disney is in a bigger ballpark and Hasbro is just out of their league. Plenty of people may dislike Frozen and the production team probably hated the final product, but spite won't help MLP take over Hyperion. If Jem's transition into Hollywood is any foreshadowing for what will happen in 2017, don't expect a Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Brohoof 3

If Jem's transition into Hollywood is any foreshadowing for what will happen in 2017, don't expect a Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

Except that Jem was a shitty film with no appeal or originality whatsoever, not to mention zero effort put in.

MLP will get a Certified Fresh if it's a good film. There's no agenda behind the critics like people claim.

• Brohoof 1

I mean, it could be a better movie than Frozen, personally I liked it but thought it was overrated, but it certainly won't outdo it at the box office. Disney is MUCH bigger than MLP, period.