Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Wouldn't the Earth Ponies get depressed after a while?

Fghik

The Pegasus' can fly...

The Unicorns can do magic...

The Earth ponies...?

Everypony gets a cutie mark for what they do best... So naturally the Earth ponies are good at whatever their cutie mark is... However, even the Unicorns and Pegasus' get cutie marks relating to what they do best to. But they get horns and wings. Rarity is a fashion designer... The same job could be done by an Earth pony. However Rarity gets magical assistance to help her with her job (gem finding, levitation, etc.) Rainbow Dash is speedy, as I'm sure a lot of Earth Ponies could be. But RD will inevitably be able to go faster with her wings.

Now Pinkie Pie with wings would just be chaos... So I can understand that...

However I can't help but wonder how the Earth Ponies feel around Unicorns and Pegasus'... Would they feel handicapped in a way? Possibly jealous? Or are their talents able make up for the lack of magic/flight?

The show hasn't shown any evidence of such a thing happening... But I know I'd feel pretty bad about myself if everypony else could do something special, and I was just...average (*cough* story of my life *cough*)

• Brohoof 2

Earth ponies are the ones who grow the food, without them the pegasi and unicorns would have nothing to eat.

But if you think about it... The Earth ponies are doing the "Dirty" work..

(Heheh...Earth...dirty... Completely not intended... liarjack.jpg)

Could there also be a class system here as well?

Well the pegasi are busy making and handling the weather.

They haven't really shown what it is the unicorns generally do.

"There is unrest in the forest,

There is trouble with the ponies,

For the Earth Ponies want more sunlight

And the pegasi ignore their pleas..."

A little edited Rush there for all you Canadians out there...

I would think that the Earth Ponies have more stamina, since they actually have use their legs to do what they want, where Pegasi can fly and have a higher speed, and the Unicorns have magic to their work for them...

Edited by Scootaloo
  • Brohoof 3

Probably the Earth Ponies are more adapted to their physical strength and jobs dealing with it meaning more strength based, the Pegasus seems to be more agile and speed based and their jobs reflect that, and Unicorns are more studying, technology, and knowledge. Although I still wonder how Rainbow Dash beats AppleJack in a hoof-wrestle.

There's alot of debate about the history of Equestria. One that I've seen that's quite convincing is that hundreds of years before the time period of the show, Unicorns were the royals, the Pegasus being the guards and military, while the Earth ponies were the workers and slaves. After the rebellion of the earth ponies, the government was reformed for equality, but a large amount of signs of the history still linger.

The trouble with the earthen.

(And they're quite convinced they're right).

They say their wings are just too awesome.

And block out all the light!

Lol, I bet Applejack and Pinkie were secretly feeling better after seeing Discord take away their wings/ horns. :P

• Brohoof 1

The trouble with the earthen.

(And they're quite convinced they're right).

They say their wings are just too awesome.

And block out all the light!

Lol, I bet Applejack and Pinkie were secretly feeling better after seeing Discord take away their wings/ horns. :P

Say what? *Trollface*

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

A little edited Rush there for all you Canadians out there...

I would think that the Earth Ponies have more stamina, since they actually have use their legs to do what they want, where Pegasi can fly and have a higher speed, and the Unicorns have magic to their work for them...

Damnnit Scootaloo!

First you become my favorite Pony in the cartoon, then you make Rush references on MLP Forums!

Stop making me love you, it's unfair to the other Ponies! :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Damnnit Scootaloo!

First you become my favorite Pony in the cartoon, then you make Rush references on MLP Forums!

Stop making me love you, it's unfair to the other Ponies! :lol:

I'm sorry, I can't help it... Rush is just an amazing band... and I'm an amazing pony!

Perhaps we should go on tour with eachother

• Brohoof 1

The Pegasus' can fly...

The Unicorns can do magic...

The Earth ponies...?

Ain't Evolution a Bitch?! :P

In a few million years the Earth Ponies would die out to the more advanced ponies, but don't worry the same goes for the Pegasi and Unicorns. Eventually even they will adapt to become Pegasus/Unicorns, or Pegacorns... or Unisuses... or what ever Celestia and Luna are! With both wings and horns!

Or maybe they'll evolve into the Chimera Clusterfuck that is commonly referred to as Discord!

Edited by Colton Manestache

I like the idea of a pony class system - the Unicorns are clearly the traditional nobility, with pegasi either being fellow (or lower) nobles, or some sort of warrior caste. The Earth Ponies seem to be the most numerous of the three types (the only Pegasus city we know of is Cloudsdale and the only Unicorn city we know of is Canterlot, whereas we know for a fact that there are at least two Earth Pony cities - Ponyville and Manehattan) and form everything from the poorest underclass to the prosperous upper-middle class and nouveau riche merchant class.

Clearly the system is no where near as rigid as it once was, with greatly increased social mobility, but regardless of how freethinking Ponies currently are they have inherited a society shaped by classist racism, so remnants of the system yet persist.

• Brohoof 2

The earth ponies don't care one little bit. Everypony has a place for themselves in Equestria, and the earth ponies still play a vital role in the pony world. None of them mind not having magic or wings, cause they realize they don't need them. If they were to get jealous and start hating on the others, it would pretty much be a form of racism. And ponies have grown to not care one little bit about race. I'm sure there may have been a time in the history of Equestria where each type of pony lived a different life entirely from the others. But now they all live in harmony cause they are all awesome :)

The way I see it, earth ponies seem to be good at taking on more authoritative roles. I've noticed there seems to be more earth ponies in influential positions than unicorns or pegasi, i.e. Mayor Mare, Hoity Toity, Photo Finish, Sapphire Shores, Nurse Redheart, Cheerilee, most of the store owners in Ponyville, a large proportion of Gala attendees, etc.

It may be a bit of a weak speculation, but perhaps earth ponies are more inclined to be natural leaders.

I believe the general consensus over the Earth Ponies' ability is that they are stronger than the rest of the species. They've got more muscle, so they do all the manual labor on the ground.

I believe the general consensus over the Earth Ponies' ability is that they are stronger than the rest of the species. They've got more muscle, so they do all the manual labor on the ground.

But wouldn't you still feel a bit left out? The unicorns get to buzz around and mess up the clouds; the unicorns get magic to do freakin' anything... And then you are stuck doing all the farming/slave-labor? The work nopony else wants to do?

I'm sure if they really wanted to, some unicorns or pegasus' could bulk up and work at a farm... But they'd get to use their magic too.

But wouldn't you still feel a bit left out? The pegasi get to buzz around and mess up the clouds; the unicorns get magic to do freakin' anything... And then you are stuck doing all the farming/slave-labor? The work nopony else wants to do?

I'm sure if they really wanted to, some unicorns or pegasus' could bulk up and work at a farm... But they'd get to use their magic too.

My opinion is that pegasi and unicorn bodies can't bulk up to the extent of earth ponies. RBD destroyed the building, but her kick is weak compared to AJ's. I'm sure AJ could've destroyed the building on her own with her kicks bur having RBD do it allows the buildings supports to be taken out faster to knock it down faster.

And from what we've seen, unicorns don't get strong, they use magic instead. When Rarity lost her horn, she turned into an earth pony allowing her to get Tom out and carry him.

And they don't get jealous because that's something else they have. They can't get jealous of something neither party had control over.

Does Pinkie Pie get depressed about being an Earth Pony? Nope. She flies using other ways and basically breaks the laws of physics more than any unicorn could.

Does Applejack get depressed about being an Earth Pony? Eeee-nope. She enjoys the applebucking etc. Not much else to say.