Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you grown to like the new Starlight Glimmer?

cybershocker455

Have you guys grown to like the new Starlight Glimmer?

While I wasn't a big fan how her redemption was handled, her character has improved in the new season so far without stealing too much of the spotlight. Still, comparing her from season 5 to season 6, is such an abrupt change from her her character they almost feel completely different characters. Honestly, the show needs to be more consistent and nuanced with how the characters are portrayed. Here's hoping for a better villain in the season 6 finale.

• Brohoof 8

She's cool and growing on me. At the moment she is still missing some character trait reinforcement, and something that makes her really stand out. What is her definig trait outside if her backstory. Perhaps she fills in Luna's spot as a guilt laden character? Maybe approach her as someone who is impatient due to her deft magical prowess?

She has potential, and I like what I've seen ... but it needs more nutmeg ... you know.

• Brohoof 1

Hell no, I don't just forget what happened with her. 

Any potential she had is in the garbage can. They wasted two huge development points with her, which is learning magic from Twilight, and acceptance from others for the horrible shit she's done.

• Brohoof 5

Until the writers can make her much more than "I'm so worried about what people think of me after that horrible thing I did!", I'm not liking Starlight that much. 

Also, her presence is lacking when the Mane 6 are out doing something without her. What the heck does she do when the Mane 6 are out and about? 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

To be honest, I really like what they're doing with her character. I thought she was a really good antagonist, and with some of her episodes this season, she's actually become my favorite character of the series at this point, so yeah, I've grown to like the new Starlight Glimmer.

Edited by SuperALPHYSBrony
  • Brohoof 2

They treat my favorite character as the scum of the earth for being minorly antagonistic. Make her life revolve around apologizing and gaining acceptance, and then make her try to commit suicide.

Then, Starlight comes along and is completly forgiven for her horrible crimes, accepted by everyone, and offered friendship lessons in Twilight's castle. Fuck you show.

I absolutely can never accept this.

1158579__safe_trixie_vulgar_meta_starlig

• Brohoof 7

Have you guys grown to like the new Starlight Glimmer?

While I wasn't a big fan how her redemption was handled, her character has improved in the new season so far without stealing too much of the spotlight. Still, comparing her from season 5 to season 6, is such an abrupt change from her her character they almost feel completely different characters. Honestly, the show needs to be more consistent and nuanced with how the characters are portrayed. Here's hoping for a better villain in the season 6 finale.

Not particularly. She's now akin to a naive, dumb grade-school kid who for some reason needs to literally be taught the lessons of friendship, although she is clearly a master manipulator who once established an entire village. You have to understand the idea of what friendship is to do this. Instead of framing her new arc as teaching her the sincere value of friendship, it's framed as simply teaching her about friendship. Her character seems to regress into a child who literally doesn't understand friendship. Part of this is due to how show staff decided to teach the shows theme of friendship to her. Now the idea of Twilight becoming Starlights teacher is an interesting idea in of itself, it sort of brings everything full circle, namely for Twilight, it's a nice evolution of her character and a good place to start a new arc. The problem to me is how this was executed, which comes to directly affect Starlights character.

Starlight Glimmer is being taught the lessons of friendship, but in a way that's the direct antithesis of how people learn about friendship. You don't sit somebody down in a classroom and teach them a rubric on friendship, you go out and make friends by interacting and socializing with other people. Friendship is an inherent part of humanity, it's built into our genetics, we are a social species. When Celestia sent Twilight to go make friends, she made her go out on her own to do so. This is a lot more realistic and believable, the way they're doing it with Glimmer comes off to me as really quite juvenile and unrealistic. Because of this, they have re-characterized Glimmer, sort of like hitting a reset button, to be more naive to the idea of friendship, a tactic I imagine to make her appear more sincere in wanting to learning about friendship. Again though, like she has to know how to make friends, how could she have been so successful with her accomplishments in the past if this isn't so? It's clunky and nonsensical. 

Luckily in a few episodes this season, she still seems to retain a bit of this manipulative, cynical personality, which is awesome, but I dunno, I have no idea what I'm talking about. Hopefully they make everything come together in a satisfactory way.

• Brohoof 2

She's definitely starting to grow on me. She reminds me of Twilight when she first came to ponyville, yet she can also stand alone well as her own character with her own traits and personality. I admit she didn't have the best redemption, but I think she's developing and becoming a great protagonist. I liked her as both a villain and a protagonist, so that's pretty cool if you ask me.

(edited)

While I think Starlight Glimmer does have potential, I don't see the writers taking advantage of it. Of course, I think it would be a lot easier for the writers to harness said potential if the they hadn't botched her redemption and given her such a lackluster backstory. As it stands, Starlight Glimmer is little more than a Twilight Sparkle clone with some elements of Sunset Shimmer thrown in. She doesn't have anything that makes her stand out aside from the fact she was a villain.

Maybe this will change in future episodes (No Second Prances seemed to be a step in the right direction as far as Starlight was concerned), but for right now, I'm firmly in the neutral camp: I don't despise her anymore, but I'm not quite sold on her yet.

Hell no, I don't just forget what happened with her. 

Any potential she had is in the garbage can. They wasted two huge development points with her, which is learning magic from Twilight, and acceptance from others for the horrible shit she's done.

If they'd handled her redemption differently, we wouldn't be having this problem right now. I made a post about how I would've handled her redemption in another thread.

She's definitely starting to grow on me. She reminds me of Twilight when she first came to ponyville, yet she can also stand alone well as her own character with her own traits and personality. I admit she didn't have the best redemption, but I think she's developing and becoming a great protagonist. I liked her as both a villain and a protagonist, so that's pretty cool if you ask me.

And what traits would those be, exactly? Does she have any character traits that Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer didn't also have?

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 3

They treat my favorite character as the scum of the earth for being minorly antagonistic. Make her life revolve around apologizing and gaining acceptance, and then make her try to commit suicide.

Then, Starlight comes along and is completly forgiven for her horrible crimes, accepted by everyone, and offered friendship lessons in Twilight's castle. Fuck you show.

I absolutely can never accept this.

sig-4556191.1158579__safe_trixie_vulgar_

Yeah, but see that right there? That is a match made in heaven. I'm not much of a shipper ... but I so jumped on board this lovely duo. Best duo since Flutters/Dashie and Rarity/AJ :please:

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, but see that right there? That is a match made in heaven. I'm not much of a shipper ... but I so jumped on board this lovely duo. Best duo since Flutters/Dashie and Rarity/AJ :please:

It's just a shame the episode that duo was introduced in had to demonize Trixie and turn Twilight Sparkle into a raging toolbag.

• Brohoof 1

Like? I freaking love her! As my current second favourite pony, Apple Bloom still takes up that spot, I can relate to her struggles and past so well that it has since shocked me. I didn't care much for Starlight in the beginning but by the time I first saw the finale of Season Five, I knew she was going to become one of my absolute favourites.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's just a shame the episode that duo was introduced in had to demonize Trixie and turn Twilight Sparkle into a raging toolbag.

That ep was completely bullshit. Twilight knew that Trixie needed a friend, something she's apparently never had before. Instead, she spends the whole time trying to separate them, and eventually gets Trixie mad to the point where she says something that she clearly didn't mean. The two were becoming good friends before she even knew that Starlight had a connection to Twilight.

The writers actually had the audacity to make Twilight dislike Trixie, try to get rid of her only ever friend, and then make her try to commit suicide. I can't even...

Edited by CJPony
  • Brohoof 1

Shes growing on me, I just find it strange that someone who seems a lot older than the rest of the mane six is beign tutored by twilight. Her hair style gives me the impression of a typical mom type from the 60's or so t.v shows and kind of makes her seem a lot older than she probably is. 

How old do you guys think she is? My guess is something like 30-35. 

Oh yeah totally. She started as my most singularly hated villain and while she's not my favorite reoccurring character, I love the dynamics at play with her and her voice actress is pretty damn good.

• Brohoof 1

I have a fan theory. Trixie is being treated like crap because she is based off a bully that used to torment the writer when they were a kid! 

THAT is why the bad treatment and only because of fans being angry with them, they decided to make her starlights new friend. 

(edited)

I have a fan theory. Trixie is being treated like crap because she is based off a bully that used to torment the writer when they were a kid! 

THAT is why the bad treatment and only because of fans being angry with them, they decided to make her starlights new friend. 

Trixie was wrote by various writers. The first one I don't think works on the show anymore. I do like the theory though, It might explain why she was treated like a piece of garbage. Maybe one of the writers did have a massive bias. 

Either way, that's a rotten, ugly message for children. This show is about friendship, so what the fuck Twilight? Why writers? 

Edited by CJPony

She is getting there at least and let me tell you, that is something I wasn't expecting to happen. After her being so incredibly OP with a horrendous 'backstory', I really thought they wouln't get me to at least not dislike her, but seeing her being a friend to Spike and to Trixie, that is helping a lot. Plus she does seem to feel bad about what she did, though that should be expected when you almost destroy all that exists in Equestria.

I am glad she is going up on my least because she does seem like a very nice character deep down, I just REALLY hope they don't do a 180 on us in the finale and make her be 'evil' again for the sake of her going back to good. Like, "Oh no, Starlight is still struggling with her evilness, we must show her the light!" or whatever. I would be perfectly fine with her being the hero of the finale over that.

• Brohoof 1

What? No new pseudo-scientific dissertation explaining why any decent human being should absolutely love Starlight Glimmer? Commendable!

Nope, still don’t like her. I just can’t get past the notion that she’s taking up space that could have been filled by a more interesting friendship pupil. Anyone on this forum could make a Starlight Glimmer OC: throw a Powerful Unicorn into a cauldron, add some Luna’s Tears, some Shimmering Puke, mix the foul broth with a Sparkling Spoon for half an hour on a mediocre temperature, and voilà, a Starlight OC! Get her while she’s hot!

• Brohoof 2

I can't help it, but the the nagging feeling remains that at least one of the future Starlight Glimmer Episodes could / should have been a Celestia Episode.

Before that happens they will introduce a dozen more characters out of thin air, though. :unamused:

• Brohoof 2

I can't help it, but the the nagging feeling remains that at least one of the future Starlight Glimmer Episodes could / should have been a Celestia Episode.

Before that happens they will introduce a dozen more characters out of thin air, though. :unamused:

Yeah, we need a Celestia episode, at least before the show ends! Wanna get to know her a bit, show that she's not just a boring ruler that once in a while trolls other ponies, and doesn't feel comfortable with bowing. Let's see her learn a friendship lesson!

• Brohoof 1