Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you grown to like the new Starlight Glimmer?

cybershocker455

I've grown to like Starlight, because she was like Sunset Shimmer, she wasn't truly evil, she was acting out on hurt feelings.

Perhaps Starlight and Sunset will met someday.

Yeah. I like her. The only thing I was/am worried about was an episode where she turned evil again. If that happened, I would have probably killed myself.

Hopefully if it too late in the season for that.

I doubt that she'll become evil again, mostly cause of how the show staff treats her, at least on purpose. She too much their pet.

She's their "pet?" I don't really think so. Outside of the premiere her focus has pretty much fallen to the wayside. 

What Starlight is really good for is the effect she has on other characters.

Only if those "other characters" are Twilight and Spike. Once again, the staff do not appear to be showing any interest in including Starlight among the mane six, or even developing her dynamic with Twilight's friends. 

At this point, Starlight just seems like an exclusive friend that only Twilight has, but the rest of the mane five don't. Much like Sunset Shimmer and the rest of the humane five, really. 

(edited)

Since the redemption, I could take or leave Starlight Glimmer. They already blew the chance at giving her an enjoyable journey from evil to good by glancing over it in the S5 finale and time-skipping to the S6 premiere and are continuing to leave potential on the table by not going further with her reformation. However, her roles in the episodes she appeared in were not bad.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about Starlight.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 1

She's growing on me. Honestly, in the world of pastel ponies, she sometimes the most human. She's got a bunch of problems, but she just rolls with them. And she still has anger in her. I think the worst thing the writers could do is make it like all that anger she had just evaporated into thin air. But it hasn't. She's still struggling with it, and that makes her a better character to me.

(edited)

She's growing on me. Honestly, in the world of pastel ponies, she sometimes the most human. She's got a bunch of problems, but she just rolls with them. And she still has anger in her. I think the worst thing the writers could do is make it like all that anger she had just evaporated into thin air. But it hasn't. She's still struggling with it, and that makes her a better character to me.

She hasn't been struggling with it that much, and I think that's part of the problem: she feels like a completely different character now that she's been reformed.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

She hasn't been struggling with it that much, and I think that's part of the problem: she feels like a completely different character now that she's been reformed.

I understand what you mean. I would love for this whole process to have been taken slower and a bit more seriously in the show, but the fact that they are addressing it at all and showing any sort of hesitance on Starlight's part is more than they have done with some other characters (COUGH discord COUGH) and I just tend to be grateful for whatever the creators do decide to give us.

At the end of the day, her character has made me smile at least once, so I'm okay with her. :twi:

Edited by TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos

I always liked Starlight Glimmer. I actually rather like her redemption in "The Cutie Map," and she was a major highlight of "The Crystalling" and "A Hearth's Warming Tale." Plus, "No Second Prances" really hints at some further complexity for her. My problem with her right now is, as others have said, I'm fairly certain the writers have no idea where to take her as a character, and as a result, her character arc this season feels unfocused at best and outright stalled at worst. I'd also like there to be more to her beyond feeling guilty about what she did previously - that's grown a little bit stale when it's brought up constantly. One of many reasons I wish this show didn't have to worry about every episode standing alone. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I always liked Starlight Glimmer. I actually rather like her redemption in "The Cutie Map," and she was a major highlight of "The Crystalling" and "A Hearth's Warming Tale." Plus, "No Second Prances" really hints at some further complexity for her. My problem with her right now is, as others have said, I'm fairly certain the writers have no idea where to take her as a character, and as a result, her character arc this season feels unfocused at best and outright stalled at worst. I'd also like there to be more to her beyond feeling guilty about what she did previously - that's grown a little bit stale when it's brought up constantly. One of many reasons I wish this show didn't have to worry about every episode standing alone. 

The writers really screwed themselves over in the S5 finale: Starlight Glimmer's backstory, Starlight earning the trust and friendship of each of the Mane Six and making amends with the residents of Our Town all would've been excellent plots for episodes. Instead, the writers tried to cram all of that into the finale, plus a whole bunch of alternate timelines and ended up draining away a whole bunch of Starlight's potential in the process.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, she has. I did like her as a villain and her redemption was a little half-assed but I think they have kept her character development intact and that episode with Starlight and Trixie is by far my fav episode this season yet. I have nothing against the plot evolving a little bit around Starlight as a student learning about friendship.

Yes, she has. I did like her as a villain and her redemption was a little half-assed but I think they have kept her character development intact and that episode with Starlight and Trixie is by far my fav episode this season yet. I have nothing against the plot evolving a little bit around Starlight as a student learning about friendship.

Same here, some people though want Starlight gone or replaced with Sunset.

• Brohoof 1

Best villain becomes mediocre supporting character

Still waiting for the flashbacks about her jail time between Season 5 and 6

Shame the Redemption Song included the ponies from Our Town, because that would've been an amazing episode

Instead, we get a ten second clip of them forgiving her

*siiiiigh*

• Brohoof 2

Best villain becomes mediocre supporting character

Still waiting for the flashbacks about her jail time between Season 5 and 6

Shame the Redemption Song included the ponies from Our Town, because that would've been an amazing episode

Instead, we get a ten second clip of them forgiving her

*siiiiigh*

The writers should've put more thought and effort into redeeming Starlight. I fear the events that transpired in the Season 5 finale will forever prevent Starlight from realizing her full potential as a character.

• Brohoof 2

I still don't like her at all and in fact I am pretty suspicious of her. I'm almost betting that she's gonna have a gigantic relapse and so the rest of the season will have a villain to end with.

I still don't like her at all and in fact I am pretty suspicious of her. I'm almost betting that she's gonna have a gigantic relapse and so the rest of the season will have a villain to end with.

They'd really be shooting themselves in the foot if they did that.

Nope, I think she deserves punishment for what she did. She can't just get off scott free from almost enslaving the entire world. I still think she's evil, she didn't even want to celebrate hearth's warming with the rest of the ponies at first, and this was after she was "reformed". So yea.....I probably hate her as much as I hate Tiara....and that's saying something...

• Brohoof 1

Nope, I think she deserves punishment for what she did. She can't just get off scott free from almost enslaving the entire world. I still think she's evil, she didn't even want to celebrate hearth's warming with the rest of the ponies at first, and this was after she was "reformed". So yea.....I probably hate her as much as I hate Tiara....and that's saying something...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the writers decision to redeem her via. montage was an awful idea.

Not really... I just never liked her that much. Her design, character, and even her name are nothing impressive.

She wasn't even that cool of a villain...

And I really can't emphasize the name thing enough. Twilight Sparkle... Starlight Glimmer? Seriously?

And I forgot to mention that sad excuse of a backstory! I guess that ties in with being an unimpressive villian.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...