Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's wrong with Starlight turning into an alicorn?

TheAnimatorOfficial

The first reason is definite unnecessariness. If Flurry wasn't an alicorn, I don't think we'd still need an alicorn. The second is she could not overcome the responsibility. Even Twilight had doubts about her responsibleness Starlight couldn't overcome her doubts about herself. She is a Mary Sue. I'm not going to say she is because she is flawless, she is because of her unbelievably flawed personality with unreasonably powerfulness. Her character arc needs to be improved. And giving her a status which it should be infrequent would be absurd. If somepony MUST be a princess, it should be Sunset Shimmer.

I'm inclined to agree an Alicorn isn't just a power up its a powerup because someone has proven their worthiness to be a princess. Which from what the show's shown is all the elements of harmony loyalty, honesty, kindness, generosity, joy and other elements such as self sacrifice and wisdom. Starlight has shown on numerous occasions that she falls short on several of these areas. Like her or hate her the simple fact is her personal journey still has a long way to go as a unicorn and there's nothing in that which requires she be an Alicorn to do it but would I feel cheapen the state if she got it as a reward for one action. The main 6 have done as much as she has and more but so far only Twilight transformed into an Alicorn after a lot more journey than Starlight's had. I'd like to see all the other 5 become Alicorns as well (for a number of reaosns) but the same reasons apply that they simply haven't gone far enough along their personal journeys to need to take that next step even though they're closer than she is. As I see it becoming an Alicorn isn't a reward its a sacrifice you give up so much for the sake of others and this transformation merely helps you do that better. If you go after it with the idea that you deserve to be rewarded for your actions by becoming one you'll never get it.

What does Starlight have to give to all of Equestria which couldn't be given by any current princess?

Why would Starlight be the best candidate to give such thing to the realm?

Both the above questions must be clearly answered to grant princesshood, the topic is about Starlight Glimmer but the questions apply to every pony who might be considered (any mane 6, Sunset Shimmer, a CMC, Trixie, Derpi, etc...).

I think that under the current state of the realm, there's no need for another princess.

• Brohoof 1

Unless and until someone can give me a reason (beyond character bias) why Starlight should be an alicorn, I'm going to continue to say no to this. She is fine as-is with her current development. That also goes for any other character. 

i don't think becoming an alicorn is a reward you get for your achievements more like a way to fill a very important role for all eternity instead of just a lifespan,so is there really such a role that she would fill best of all?

Well for one thing, there too gosh darn many Alicorns right now! YOuknow at least when Twi became one it felt like a true achievement . She an element of harmony and faced many challanges.

Starlight however, eh she may be powerful and come a long way...but not THAT far. Sunset becoming an Alicorn was eye rolly enough think you.
Let's not forget the princes of merch, Flurry heart

I love Starlight with my entire heart but she really hasn't done enough to become an alicorn. Like sure she's redeeming herself but becoming an alicorn is big deal... becoming a better pony isn't how you become an alicorn. I feel like introducing more and more alicorns will make them lose their specialty.

What's wrong with Glim Glam turning into an alicorn? Many things. I personally will loose my view that I currently hold to alicorns: That they're rare, and therefore very special. If Glim Glam were to become an alicorn, then that would shatter that vision for me, as at that point, it would seem like any magical powerful pony could become an alicorn, and that's just not the case, or at least it shouldn't be the case. I'm also not sure how this would affect the direction of the show, as currently the focus is on the school of friendship. If Glim Glam were to become an alicorn, then that would drastically shift the show's focus from the school to her new princess-hood, making this whole school thing practically pointless and a waste of a season, it would be seen as filler. I don't want Glim Glam to become an alicorn, that's the bottom line for me.

Related image

• Brohoof 1

So, this thread is still going... well, at this point I feel Starlight has done enough significant things that she's earned being an alicorn about as much as Twilight had (not that that's a high bar), but it's still less than Twilight's friends had, she's still kinda sketchy, and the whole concept of becoming an alicorn as a reward still rubs me the wrong way. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Um, because she isn't ready yet. And because she's just not really that "special".  What would she be the princess of, anyway? Magic?

Just my opinion, 

Dream Star

Untitled presentation.jpg

Edited by dream_star1235

47 minutes ago, dream_star1235 said:

Um, because she isn't ready yet. And because she's just not really that "special".  What would she be the princess of, anyway? Magic?

Just my opinion, 

Dream Star

Untitled presentation.jpg

I believe Big Mac has his eye on that one.

4 hours ago, dream_star1235 said:

What?

Just a joke referencing his playing a unicorn character in one episode, dressing up as a girl for the sister hooves social (and fooling no one) and becoming an Alicorn and fighting flying cupcakes in the dream episode. He may not mention it but I'm pretty sure he wants to be a unicorn and possibly gain his sisters respect by becoming an Alicorn given his comments about feeling left out when Applebloom idolises Applejack.

1 minute ago, Senko said:

Just a joke referencing his playing a unicorn character in one episode, dressing up as a girl for the sister hooves social (and fooling no one) and becoming an Alicorn and fighting flying cupcakes in the dream episode. He may not mention it but I'm pretty sure he wants to be a unicorn and possibly gain his sisters respect by becoming an Alicorn given his comments about feeling left out when Applebloom idolises Applejack.

true.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea, but its also important to be yourself in equestria and life in general.

maybe that’s why twily is a bit hesitant to transform starlight

Because she needs to realize how awesome she already is!

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't have any problem with her becoming an alicorn, but like many have already pointed out, there's no reason for such a change at the moment. Becoming an alicorn is something that should be treated as a special evolution that only happens when all the conditions are met, not something that just happens...because that's a thing that happens. Otherwise, there's simply nothing special about it. Not to mention that this cartoon wouldn't have the same amount of comedic value.

• 1 year later...

The problem is not that there are many many alicorns, we could have dozens of them if they are handled correctly, the real problem is that they are poorly distributed, all the alicorns have a direct relationship with Twilight, Celestia was her teacher since she was a girl until she was adult, Luna, who could be considered the furthest from Mane's core, is still related to them, Cadence was Twilight's nanny, approximately when she began her studies with Celestia, subsequently, she married Twilight's brother, which brings us to a fifth alicorn, Flurry Heart, the only natural alicorn born in Equestria, niece of Twilight, who will later take over as ruler of the Crystal Empire. Do you see how ALL alicorns have a close relationship with Twilight? That's the problem. Why don't we put an alicorn that has no relationship with Twilight? Thus it would seem that Twilight is the center of all the events of Equestria.

• Brohoof 1

I assume you don't count the background ones like the traffic control Alicorn. Thought I do like the idea you've given me of Twilight radiating Alicorn ray's that will eventually make the other mane 6 into ones.

Edited by Senko