Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where is the season 7 hype!?

trademark2

This is an automated message sent by the computer of Babyyoshi309 in order to notify his friends that he is currently in a cryosleep until the release of season 7 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Edited by Babyyoshi309
  • Brohoof 2

I'm not hating on you here, I'm criticizing Steven Universe.

It isn't progressive. It's a badly written show that appeals to the REAL lowest common denominator, the people that think progressive=automatic masterpiece.

If you say so; that sure as hell isn't how I see it. 

Season 6 had some very bare-bones episodes like "Applejack's Day Off" and "The Cart Before the Ponies", as well as episodes that take on common plot adaptations like "The Gift of the Maud Pie", "PPOV", "A Hearth's Warming Tail", but there were also some that had more plot or entertainment to them like "Gauntlet of Fire" and "Stranger Than Fan Fiction". Earlier seasons had a mix of this as well, but what's changed is that in Seasons 4 and 5, it seemed as if the Crusaders and Mane 6 were working towards a greater goal. It made even some of the more mundane things seem more important, without contrivance. In Season 4 in particular, the Mane 6 were learning the most important lessons regarding their elements in the key episodes, and that paid off with them getting the map and new roles in Season 5. Many Season 5 episodes had the Mane 6 being teachers rather than students which allowed them to pawn off some of the simpler plot elements to characters that had more room to develop, like Discord ("Make New Friends but Keep Discord") or various side characters ("Hooffields and McColts", "The Mane Attraction", "Appleoosa's Most Wanted"), and left the Mane 6 and Crusaders to focus on deeper themes like fear of the future ("Bloom & Gloom"), regret ("Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?"), making amends with the past ("Amending Fences"), and taking on new responsibility (many Twilight and Rarity episodes). "Spice Up Your Life" and "Flutter Brutter", to give some respect, did that, too, but I have different kinds of issues with those episodes that are for another thread.

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to understand where you people are coming from. Maybe we just look for different things in this show. 

Having also been watching since season 2, I'm of the opinion that the show's decline began around season 4, when the thematic cohesion of the main story arc ultimately resulted in less character development. In season 4, the whole key subplot accounted for an overall minority of the season, and as I said earlier in this thread, the mane six didn't actually learn  anything from it, and we rarely learned anything new about them either. I like season 2 so much because it expends a lot of its energy on approaching the characters from new angles, and while season 4 is frequently poignant and delightful, I can't think of many times when it really showed us much new about the characters. Those key episodes are among the worst offenders, as they exist solely to challenge an aspect of the mane six which we already know about. I adore "Leap of Faith," but that ain't because it has any meaningful progression for Applejack, and I honestly feel that season 4 broke formula a lot less often than season 6. 

As for the mane six as teachers... am I the only person who struggles to see that as a good thing? That's obviously what season 5 was going for, but I couldn't help but see that as effectively denying them any character development whatsoever. I'm apparently the only person who isn't in love with "Amending Fences" or "The Mane Attraction," and a big part of that is that they feel (to me) like they do absolutely nothing to push the show forward. While most of the primary character arcs the mane six had been dealing with have been concluded, I'd rather the writers try to forge new ones rather than apparently give up on them entirely like season 5 seemed to do. Of course, it doesn't help matters that I found a significant portion of season 5 to be rather unenjoyable, but I didn't feel that the mane six grew a whole lot over that entire season. "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" is a good example of how I felt the season often half-assed its themes, as I felt that episode spent way more time on vapid action and grating humour than on Luna's apparent guilt, and I didn't even feel like they handled that guilt especially well - that episode is one of my least favourites of all time.

I wasn't a big fan of how basic season 6's throwaway episodes were, but I thought that a good majority of the season either explored characters from new angles or innovated in some way with the show's structure. I guess a big part of my satisfaction with this season is that I found it a lot more entertaining than the previous one, but stuff like RD finally making it into the Wonderbolts, Fluttershy finally not being a doormat, and getting a small glimpse of Applejack's past were especially satisfying to me, and although the CMC's post-marked saga was severely truncated (pretty much leaped straight from the implications of the change to the greatest possible challenge), it didn't feel significantly less satisfying to me than their admittedly strong showing in season 5. I guess I feel that season 6 had its priorities in better order than the previous two seasons, as I feel its more down-to-earth, incremental approach to character development just suits the show more. Different strokes for different folks, but I felt the need to get my viewpoint out there, as nobody else seems to share it. 

This is an automated message sent by the computer of Babyyoshi309 in order to notify his friends that he is currently in a cryosleep until the release of season 7 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

See, this user has the right idea. 

• Brohoof 1

I still say season 7 will introduce new story arcs. I still say the new writers did ok by the show going slow for a little bit. It doesn't mean the show permanently has to be that way. thanks for your guys' post it helped me see where people were coming from. you guys are true ponies!

Edited by trademark2

To be honest, outside of the movie, I'm not as excited for MLP as I used to be. The reason is season 6, particularly the second half. I still liked it, but it just felt weaker than the older episodes. As a result, there are other shows that have my attention more right now. I think MLP may be starting to hit seasonal rot (some people think it already did that, but I still thought it was great up through the first half of season 6). Honestly, I'm kinda hoping it does end with the movie so it doesn't get to the point where it's unwatchable. I'm still planning on watching season 7. Hopefully, it can bounce back.

We're still in the early stages of speculation. Besides; there will be plenty of time for the real hype once more solid info comes out. :)

Its not just about making an episode "Good"-- I liked the indian food resteraunt. Its about building excitement. You have to keep a feeling of growth and progression going on as well, which is what this season and S5 lacked. There are good episodes (I enjoyed top bolt and the spice of your life, as well the gift of maud pie), but the season absolutely FUMBLED having any feeling of progression or advancement, or a feeling of rising action in absence of character growth.

That's what I'm saying, even if its "Okay" without a something to pull the audience forward in curiosity for what the future has to bring, enthusiasm will drop. Its like how Video games constantly try to add something new to a series or it'll feel like stagnation (like how twilight princess was looked down on for not altering the zelda formula any for the game). Even if its high quality, if its just "the same as its always been" enthusiasm will drop.

You are expecting far to much here, the only episodes in s4 that advanced the plot were the key ones, everything else was filler.

Also, look deeper.

Season 5 and 6 have been progressing in a more subtle ways.

Allies, Starting from season 5, there have been episodes with foreign kingdoms that after 22 minutes of fun ally themselves with Equestria, it is CLEARLY building up to something major, far more major than Rainbow Power

@OP, I am always hype, I just have it locked away right now, will reopen doors when teasers come out.

Edited by ryanmahaffe
  • Brohoof 1

After how lame all the recent seasons have been many either left, became uninterested or just aren't that stoked about MLP anymore. But I guess if you went out looking for it you might find something.

Edited by cider float

I hate to say it, but by sometime in season 6 I wasn't really hyped for episodes anymore - it's just another show for me to watch at this point. That's okay, sometimes that happens with shows I love, but I'm not sure FiM will recover from this slump, to be honest. Not a single episode in season 6 was in my "love" tier. Every season before had at least a couple of episodes like that. Season 6 had a lot of decent, but forgettable episodes.

• Brohoof 1

They've really dragged this dead horse around long enough if you asked me. I actually forgot there was going to be a season 7.

Most of us don't think it is a dead horse.

For some season 6 was just as good as season 2.

For me it was.

I also thought that Season 6 was more similar to Season 2 in many ways than one.  Though in some parts, I thought certain Season 6 episodes were better than Season 2 episodes(Especially 28 Pranks Later being better than The Mysterious Mare Do Well, which I consider the Batman vs Superman of My Little Pony episodes)

The movie's honestly overshadowing S7 to me. Its kind of like how I was actually interested in LOE but didn't have much hope for the S6 finale, so all my interest was leeched to LOE.

On that note, wondering when we'll get the trailer for the movie? Its like only 9 months away right?

The movie's honestly overshadowing S7 to me. Its kind of like how I was actually interested in LOE but didn't have much hope for the S6 finale, so all my interest was leeched to LOE.

On that note, wondering when we'll get the trailer for the movie? Its like only 9 months away right?

Imma say around the s7 launch, build up anticipation for both. 

LoE did not overshadow the finale for me. By far, and I love eqg