Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it logical for Sunset to be introduced into FiM at this point?

ManaMinori

(what with Starlight Gutter on the scene)

I used to be of the crowd who passionately wanted SS to return in g4- not for reuniting with Sunbutt, but possibly becoming student/mentor/ friend to Luna, and also fulfilling her destiny of succeeding her and co-ruling with Twilight, as her cutie mark suggests. But with Starlight Gutter thrown in the mix, I don't want SS to return and have any interaction with her whatsoever. On top of that, FiM has 7 main characters and too many secondary characters to focus on, and properly develop as it stands now. There's little room to follow Sunny's progress and adventures in g4, much as I hate to admit. True, I want her to return sometime in g4, but perhaps real focus on her back in pony life can be given in her own TV series spinoff, or in a generation 5, with her own band of merry mares. 

From what I've heard, the show and EqG are divergent universes.  Flash Sentry has appeared in the show before, but there have been no hints of a relationship carrying over from EqG.  For this reason, I think it's safe to say that Sunset Shimmer probably won't appear in the show.

But if they do, imagine all the antis' tears when they realize that this makes FlashLight canon xP

No, she is a fundamental part of the EqG universe and she also has her friends and her life there, I don't see a reason for her to return to the pony world. I also still hold on to the idea that EqG isn't cannon and I'd like it to stay that way, but I'd be fine with her returning because she is a very good character. That's how I've felt about that since Rainbow Rocks and the addition of Starlight hasn't influenced my opinion on the matter.

Starlight Gutter? I don't know what to say about that....

Anyway, Starlight GLIMMER may indeed clash with Sunset if the two were to interact. I would think that keeping Sunset in the Equestria Girls spinoff was probably a good idea considering the amount of problems there could be by bringing her back. Her purpose is served well in Equestria Girls.

It would be interesting if she showed up in the 2017 movie though.

I wouldn't say that i'd want her as a constant character, but it would be nice for her to maybe come back to Equestria for one episode to like apologies  to Celestia, or just to clear up any bad blood she may have there.

Edited by Skylord Nexus

No, if Sunset wanted to go back she would've done so already plus it'd ruin the mane7 thing they have going on in that world. I think the introduction of Starlight was to balance the addition of Sunset+Sci Twi in EG so that at least to me signals that Sunset will not be making an appearance in FiM.  Besides Equestria Twilight didn't even appear in the latest EG film and appeared for for only 3 seconds in Friendship Games so it looks like that's the direction the show is going anyways which imo is the correct decision. 

You truly never tire of making these sorts of threads, do you, TC? 

No, I would not advise anyone to get their hopes up about Sunset being introduced in FiM. There's just too much working against it:

1. There is nothing for her in FiM. 

She simply has no place in the show. She does not know the mane five, she has no home in Ponyville, presumably no family, and ultimately I just don't see what she has to contribute. 

2. She is integral to Equestria Girls. 

Equestria Girls clearly isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and that means neither is she. 

3. The staff are clearly going out of their way to ensure FiM remains separate from EG. 

In the three seasons and 78 episodes that have aired since Equestria Girls became a thing, there has not being so much as one single reference to it with the sole exception of Flash Sentry's two cameos. And Flash's cameos were completely unrelated to EG. 

There's simply no reason to expect that it's going to happen. 

EQG1 should've ended with Twilight taking Sunset back home to Celestia where she starts over while Starlight Glimmer remains more-or-less unchanged

Preferably remaining evil or at least being imprisoned for her crimes against Equestria, but since this show loves redeeming and slaughtering interesting characterization...  :dry:

Unfortunately, as FiM is now, Sunset is redundant and the EQG films thankfully aren't canonical to the show's timeline (They happened, but they don't impact characterization at all)

EQG1 should've ended with Twilight taking Sunset back home to Celestia where she starts over while Starlight Glimmer remains more-or-less unchanged

Preferably remaining evil or at least being imprisoned for her crimes against Equestria, but since this show loves redeeming and slaughtering interesting characterization...  :dry:

Unfortunately, as FiM is now, Sunset is redundant and the EQG films thankfully aren't canonical to the show's timeline (They happened, but they don't impact characterization at all)

Who knows? Before they are in danger of doing anything with Celestia, they might reconsider and bring Sunset back.

:scots:

It is possible for Sunset to return to Equestria, but that would require a lengthy backstory explaining where she has been this entire time, and Equestria Girls was only hinted at without going into any details about that. That could be a difficult thing to do since the show has been airing now for six years, and such a thing should have happened a couple of years ago. I'd love for Sunset to return so as to reconcile with Celestia, catch up on what she has missed, and maybe make some other amends, but I wouldn't have her come back on a permanent basis.

The human world still needs her and she does seem to like it there more, but that all depends on how the writers choose to take her character from here. If anything, Sunset could show up on the rare occasion just to check things out before going back again.

Now, even though many don't want her to return in the show, who says she can't return to Equestria in Equestria Girls? We know that there was the deleted subplot of Sunset considering going back, and it's still something that can be considered during one of the specials next year.

• Brohoof 1

Second part of op- can anyone see SS being main character in g5, as Twi is to her friends?

No. I think the main character of a new generation or cartoon would be a new character. Like Twilight Sparkle was created for G4, Pinkie Pie was pretty much the main character of the G3 cartoons and she was created for that gen. And I'm pretty sure Starlight (no relation to Glimmer) was the main character of My Little Pony Tales, and she didn't appear in My Little Pony 'n Friends.

It is possible for Sunset to return to Equestria, but that would require a lengthy backstory explaining where she has been this entire time, and Equestria Girls was only hinted at without going into any details about that. That could be a difficult thing to do since the show has been airing now for six years, and such a thing should have happened a couple of years ago. I'd love for Sunset to return so as to reconcile with Celestia, catch up on what she has missed, and maybe make some other amends, but I wouldn't have her come back on a permanent basis.

The human world still needs her and she does seem to like it there more, but that all depends on how the writers choose to take her character from here. If anything, Sunset could show up on the rare occasion just to check things out before going back again.

Now, even though many don't want her to return in the show, who says she can't return to Equestria in Equestria Girls? We know that there was the deleted subplot of Sunset considering going back, and it's still something that can be considered during one of the specials next year.

Basically this. Not all of the FiM audience has seen EqG, so a lot of explanation would be necessary to integrate her, and combined with all the things OP mentioned, it simply wouldn't be practical to have her in the show.

I would like to see her at least visit Equestria in Equestria Girls, though. She's been away so long.

• Brohoof 1

Nah, sunset's got her own thing; She's an EQG character through and through now, the human universe is HER story now. She's become friends with the human six and for her to just give that up would be an absolute BETRAYAL of everything that she's been learning up to this point about friendship with others (They're not the same people as the pony six, just hopping into another dimension and being like "Hey, the clones in this dimension are just as good!" would be flat out wrong).

I'm not opposed to sunset as a character, its just that, as things are set up NOW, she needs to remain in the EQG universe. In a reboot in the future I'd be 100% down with a sunset shimmer joining the six, but our Current sunset needs to stay in the human universe.

I can only see Sunset Shimmer coming back to Equestria if they discover the EqG version of her. Of course, the one we know is Pony Sunset, so by all logic, there's bound to be a doppelgänger out there in the EqG universe and some kind of titanic battle would ensue.

Either that or some kind of magical rift happens between both worlds and that becomes integral to the plot of either the Season 7 premiere or finale or both, making her come back to the Pony world to try and fix things with Pony Twilight and Starlight's help for the sake of both worlds surviving. That would be pretty cool.

There was talk that she might get an appearance in the show after a ponyfied art of her was released in the My Little Pony card game.

But a whole season has passed since that or was that when season five was coming out...? I don't even know. 

I don't really care what anyone says, I consider the Equestria Girls movies canon. I love Sunset. I'd love to see her come on the show for a visit. But to be entirely honest. I'd rather see her staying in the human world for the time being. 

Plus I'm still desperately hoping for an Equestria Girls spin-off series. 

I know the chances are low... But I want it SO badly.

Sunny's a pony, but she should stay in the human world by now because she's basically the main face of it. Made her life, got into stuff, and Starlight took her place as the Mane7 in Equestria. It would be cool if she visits though

Basically this. Not all of the FiM audience has seen EqG, so a lot of explanation would be necessary to integrate her, and combined with all the things OP mentioned, it simply wouldn't be practical to have her in the show.

I would like to see her at least visit Equestria in Equestria Girls, though. She's been away so long.

Such an explanation would require its own two part adventure, and those are usually saved for situations where the fate of Equestria is hanging in the balance. Again, Sunset can make an appearance if her backstory was fleshed out entirely without anything missing, but it would need to be done correctly and not in a lazy manner. Also, the writers would need to have the desire to go through with it and not leave such a thing in limbo for as long as they have.