Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should holidays be removed from MLP?

ManaMinori

Now before anyone gets up in arms, I realize that FiM, unlike previous generations, never name their holidays after our real world ones- Valentine's Day is "hearts and hooves day", Christmas is "Hearths Warming Eve", Halloween is "Nightmare Night", but even then, traditional customs like trick or treating, apple bobbing, ghost stories, caroling, gift exchange, candy canes, exchanged live letters, etc. Are still evident.

But not everyone celebrates the same holiday traditions. Some don't celebrate holidays at all. So should the holiday similarities be removed entirely from the show and future generations, if it doesn't speak to kids of all cultures and traditions?

Should more imaginative and original holidays and traditions that don't coincide with real life holidays and timing be created, instead?

Something 'new' with an analog to real world experiences creates a sense of familiarity at the same time as adhering to the fantasy element of the show. This is why some properties like Star Wars were so successful in drawing in their audience. It is fantastical but invoked familiar constructs, but technical and cultural. It's a hallmark of good fantasy, and Equestrian holidays fit well within that familiar but distinct narrative.

• Brohoof 5

I don't think so. These holidays were spun to make something new out of them to invoke unique traditions. They do have a passing resemblance to real world holidays but there's nothing really wrong with that because they can't do the same for every holiday. That's not even possible.

• Brohoof 3

No. They can't "create" a holiday that "speaks to everyone" out of the blue since there are far to many cultures and beliefs and trying to invent one people can understand or relate to is virtually impossible.

They actually only celebrate 1 real holiday that I know of, and that is Hearthswarming (Christmas)... considering many do not consider Halloween and Valentines Day a holiday at all.. just a day for a special occasion of sorts. (At least here in the US, your beliefs, opinions and results may vary)

As is, Christmas speaks to most cultures in some form or another anyway.. it goes by different names and is celebrated on different days, but many things remain the same.... it is known and celebrated in some form or fashion all over the world... whether or not anyone celebrates it or cares is irrelevant. Thus Heathswarming fits the show very well, keeping something almost everyone is in someway familiar with, while at the same time doing it's own thing and making it's own traditions in relation to the show..

• Brohoof 4

No, I wouldn't want them to do that. If anything, Hearthswarming is a special occasion in Equestria because it resulted in the kingdom being founded, and removing it would destroy a custom that has been in place for as long as anyone can remember. Sure, non ponies wouldn't celebrate Hearthswarming and probably have their own traditions, but then that's what culture is like. The other two examples you provided are harmless really, designated for those who are interested in them, and not really seen as holidays. If anything, the world of Equestria doesn't have nearly as many holidays as we do.

• Brohoof 2

I can imagine any new ones they would put into Equestria but I just like it that they make ones relatable to the real world. Ones like St. Patrick's Day and maybe other ones for particular cultures like Hanukkah or Chinese Lantern Festival.

Not at all. The idea that we need to naturally cater to everyone, is inherently flawed. There is nothing wrong with wanting to celebrate any form of holiday. It's mind-boggling how people seem to think that in order to appeal to the most people, they need to remove as much personality from a thing as possible. 

Personally I think they should have MORE thematic holidays described. That's how you'd best appeal to a wider variety of people.

I'm not Christian, nor do I care much for Christmas(except for that delicious Christmas Ham), and yet I loved the Hearthswarming episodes and think we need more episodes that delve into those sorts of grandiose musical and fantasy themes. 

• Brohoof 1

Now before anyone gets up in arms, I realize that FiM, unlike previous generations, never name their holidays after our real world ones- Valentine's Day is "hearts and hooves day", Christmas is "Hearths Warming Eve", Halloween is "Nightmare Night", but even then, traditional customs like trick or treating, apple bobbing, ghost stories, caroling, gift exchange, candy canes, exchanged live letters, etc. Are still evident.

But not everyone celebrates the same holiday traditions. Some don't celebrate holidays at all. So should the holiday similarities be removed entirely from the show and future generations, if it doesn't speak to kids of all cultures and traditions?

Should more imaginative and original holidays and traditions that don't coincide with real life holidays and timing be created, instead?

If that happened people would think its an attempt at pagan indoctrination or witchcraft or something, because most people are concerned christian parents, and that same demographic did stuff like burn harry potter books lol.

Remember when the folks at Star Wars celebrated Life Day? (Nobody wants to remember that anyway) I think they should do something like that; just a pony-themed holiday where it reflects everything positive about their lives/families.

Granted it would be odd not having any clue what it was for at least a couple years after Twilight came to Ponyville, but I'm sure it could be an Anniversary of one of The Mane 6's achievments.

They definitely shouldn't. Holiday episodes are a big deal and may attract new fans to the show. A lot of times I find myself watching holiday episodes of shows I don't normally otherwise watch. The only thing they should do differently is schedule the episodes better, unlike with "A Hearth's Warming Tail" airing in May.

But with that said, I think they've done enough holiday episodes as it is, except maybe Thanksgiving, which is a North American thing mostly. "One Bad Apple" shows a Thanksgiving equivalent but doesn't focus on it.

Edited by Fifty Grinches
  • Brohoof 1

No way should they do that. We've had some fantastic seasonal and holiday ponies come out of it, plus it's simply a cartoon tradition to have holiday specials. Although it will forever baffle me as to why dummy hasbro didn't do its Christmas Story retelling around Christmas.

Holidays are a part of life. If anything ponies have more holidays than we do.  They also have a far more logical placement of hearts and hooves day.  What idiot decided to put that in the middle of February for us instead of in a more sedate June?

• Brohoof 1

actually... christmas in equestria is hearths warming. christmas eve is hearths warming eve. :please:

i dont think they should be removed or changed though, even if you dont celebrate for example christmas, doesnt stop you from giving gifts to family and friends. if anything hearths warming isnt religious or anything, which they probably did on purpose :P

• Brohoof 1

Frankly it helps world building AT least it not G3 where it was 'hey it chirstmas with santa and stuff" nothing changed about it. Frankly I"M GLAD, there no santa in mlp fim..overjoyed infact