Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

church of scientology ?

OG CHUCK

what is scientology ?

did you ever went or go to the church of scientology ?

I have a curiosity about that church the only think I know is from south park and dead space is where I draw must of my conclusion
I don't no

Scientology is some cult that tricks people into donating for different tiers of information on the religion. The lower tiers are taught to be paranoid and take advantage of logical fallacies to preserve their faith, even saying that 'assumption' is a spiritual process. And to stalk people to get them to convert, and similar. Also their 'Thetan' sounds like its named after Satan intentionally. Thetan being the god species of meat alien from another place in space (something bizarre like that if I recall).

• Brohoof 2

Scientology, from what I've heard, also has some pretty awful thoughts on certain medical treatments that have lead to many deaths of followers. Mostly, instead of seeking certain mental health treatments, they instead do a mix of sauna-like rooms and vitamins, resulting in several people dying from it. I'm not totally sure what exactly they do, but that's what I think I remember.

Actually, two guys in my college tried to invite me to their Dianetics (a so-called "medical" technique made up by Scientology's inventor) session a while ago, saying it'd help me study better and clear my mind. I'm glad i turned them down, because i looked into it online; apparently it is rumored to involve lots of inane pseudoscience and there are even rumors of indoctrination involved. 

There're lots of accounts of shady cult stuff going on. I'd be careful involving myself with anything related to Scientology.

It is more a cult than a religion, and although it claims to have set goals, it likes to keep those set goals in secret and not really tell anyone anything they don't already know. They have for years had all sort of allegations of harassment, abuse, brainwashing and coercion leveled at them.... and if you followed the mini series about Leah Remini that aired last year those allegations are claimed to be all true. They also have a lot of ideas about medical and psychiatric treatment and what should and should not be considered a mental condition.

• Brohoof 2

I have a hard time accepting them as a religion. Their views concerning medical science and mental health are ... quite frankly ... bullshit. Hubbard is likely more despised in my household than Trump would be in the Clinton household. 

• Brohoof 1

It's a joke is what it is...

Knowing that you've seen the South Park episode, the stuff about Xenu really is what the church of Scientology tells its constituency. I'm a nonbeliever in terms of every religion, but this is especially notable because Hubbard was a science fiction writer. It is a money scheme first and a religion second.

It's a cult who indoctrinate people so thoroughly they'll happily hand over all their money in order to be made aware of the secretes of Xenu, who is some kind of alien overlord who brainwashed alien souls in the volcanoes of Hawaii or something like that. Your best bet is to stay far away from them. The  fact alone their religion was started by a science fiction writer with a history of embellishing his own exploits should be clue enough.

I've never been concerned with how 'nutty' their beliefs are and whatnot. Provided that you're not harming anybody or society at large, it's none of my concern what people believe. It's their lives. But Scientology's views on psychiatry and mental health seem really backwards and harmful. Not to mention the creepy reports of them operating like a cult and charging their members to advance within their organization.

Descrip:(In 2008, Bunker posted a video to YouTube critical of the Internet-based group "Anonymous" and asked them to tone down their campaign against the Church of Scientology; a movement called "Project Chanology"."Message to Anonymous", Bunker urged the group to work legally and pursue peaceful ways to protest Scientology. Subsequently Anonymous dubbed him "Wise old Man" or "Wise Beard Man,")

^essential material for understanding the Church of Scientology and the overall reason why they received so much backlash

Edited by K.Rool Addict
  • Brohoof 1

Yep. I'm shocked that nobody mentioned Operation Snow White. It's pretty crazy when a cult can infiltrate multiple governments.