Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Online Forum Currency?

TwilightPomegranate

I was thinking of an online currency for the forums. Like bits, and it'll show up on the top right of the page. You could get this by doing things like..

- Getting a new rank

- Becoming a mod

- Signing up for PFU (Pink Fluffy Unicorns I think?)

- And donating

You could also get bits by buying them as well. Plus there should be a shop where you can exchange your bits for things such as..

- Custom ranks

- Extension to your signature (Basically if your limit is 600x100, you could go up to 700x200)

- MORE bits 

- And plenty more!

I know this idea wouldn't work, but it'd really cool because it would allow people to get on the forums more. Thanks for reading my idea! :D 

I think they would prefer real currency for account bonuses like signatures and avatars. I do like the concept as something that can buy silly digital trinkets based on the show, and possibly as an RP extension. I just think account modifications should come from either volunteer service and financial supporters. 

Though a counter argument could be made that if limits were set up it could encourage an actual economy based on content and participation. Imagine each rank allots you 'x' bits per week. Higher ranks get a higher allotment. You could award other users for great content with bits, and also be motivated in raising your own game and making interesting topics and posts to try and earn some bits for yourself. 

That may work better for cultivation of a robust user generated content. 

We're not in the financial position to start providing "free" ways to get perks normally reserved for subscribers. It would discourage those who can afford a subscription to avoid getting one and virtual currency is no good for paying Poniverse's (very real) bills.

Objectively, the price attached to those perks is not very high - the price of two Starbucks coffees a month will get you most of them - so the few perks they do get will remain exclusive for the foreseeable future. You get a very complete user experience without them already. Note that if you have money in some form but can't use a payment card or PayPal to subscribe, we're able to make alternate payment arrangements as well.

That said, there are some latent ideas for an achievement system floating around - that could encourage certain actions that benefit the community, and be plain fun, without conflating contributions to the community with contributions to its continued existence and development. I can't promise when or if that would happen, though - a forum admin may or may not have something more specific to say about this.

• Brohoof 1

@Feld0

Hmm, I see. I thought that the subscription was a higher price, silly me!

And I understand that MLP Forums isn't in the position yet, but thanks for the feedback, this was just an idea so your response might change the current view I see for the online currency idea