Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Funding MLP Forums, Part 1 - Subscriptions

Twilight Sparkle ✨

With last week's move to a dedicated server, MLP Forums is running faster and smoother than ever before. Unfortunately, our operational costs are also higher than ever before, and relying only on members to make a donation whenever they feel like it is proving to be less and less sustainable.

So, we've been looking into a variety of new ways to monetize the site more consistently, to ensure we can afford to stay on this beautiful new server for a long time to come. We'll be writing about our ideas here in Canterlot Castle, and it will be greatly appreciated to have your input on how effective you think each may be, and whether you would personally make use of them. After all, this forum is for all of you at the end of the day, and we think it's only fair that you get to have a say in how we cover its expenses.

Proposal #1: Subscriptions

At the moment, our current system of accepting donations works as a pseudo-subscription system of sorts, with every dollar you donate granting you three days of donor status. If we were to introduce subscriptions, they would completely replace the current donations system with a more traditional monthly fee you pay to keep the status.

However, to accommodate different levels of generosity, I'm thinking of adding a little twist to it. All subscribers would get the same account upgrades as our current donors. However, those wanting to donate more towards the forums every month would have the option of simply paying more for their subscription.

Essentially, we would have a number of subscription tiers, all of which offer the same benefits, but allow you to choose how generous you want to be. The tiers might be as follows (proof-of-concept only; this is by no means a final list):

• $10/month
  • $15/month
  • $20/month
  • $25/month
  • $30/month
  • $50/month
Anyone wanting to donate more than our highest available tier would also be welcome to contact me for a custom subscription.

The main advantage of subscriptions over donations is that subscribers will receive a recurring bill every month, reminding them to renew their subscription. It is even possible to set up an auto-renewing subscription that automatically bills your credit card or PayPal account every month.

This will likely lead to a much more consistent stream of income as we have members who are willing to spare a certain amount of money on a monthly basis, and this system will accommodate them well by essentially committing them to pay money every month. Often, someone might be willing to commit to a monthly donation, but then they forget to actually keep their commitment.

What do you think of this proposal? Would you prefer it to the current donation system that asks everyone to donate towards a fixed goal? How might it affect members who want to make a one-time donation and aren't interested in keeping the donor status indefinitely?

• Brohoof 15

Sounds reasonable.

I don't have a constant income of money so I won't subscribe, but I thought about making a one time donation in the near future.

So if you keep the old donation system and add the new subscribe thing, it would be great.

• Brohoof 1

Yep, nothing disagree with here! Everything sounds just about perfect! I think one-time donators would be more-than satisfied with this current structure.

(but then again, why would anypony want to donate to this place only once? ;))

Thank you ever so much for the server up-up-up-upgrade, I didn't think I could stand the last one much longer! Here's to our communitie's everlasting dedicated achievement in helping the place in financial assistance! :)

(edited)

I'd be willing to start off with that $10/month subscription, anything above that right now and my parents wouldn't like it. I'd even try the $20/month one eventually, but that might be a bit steep right now for me, since I won't be starting my new internship for more than a month.

Above that is out of the question until I get a job that pays a lot more ^_^

Edited by Ashbad

Sounds like a good idea, the only problem being what you said, those who are interested in making a one time donation.

So we could just have both subscriptions and donations, as Bugz suggested.

It would be a nice feature for those who like to pay for a monthly subscription. But its something that wont catch me.

Aslong as the normal donation is still available, im happy.

(edited)

Well as long as I can donate as usual and not need to worry about any subscriptions, I think it's a good idea.

Because I won't be able to do a subscription :blush:

Feld0, I know your dark secret,

these forums only costs $0,001/month to run and you take all other money for yourself and do silly stuff with them! I can see you through your computer screen!

Posted Image

Haha, jk :P

Hehe, anyways, I'm going to do another donation when I can. I'm getting a debit card tomorrow.

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 9

Oh no! Feld0, the evil dictator, is forcing us to pay in order to keep his tyrannical empire running! Everybody, we must resist and revolt!

I like this idea instead of having the usual 3 day status thing where you could only donate a dollar; the sentence always seemed a bit too short for my liking.

On another note, I have to wonder if you will really get $50/month donations =P

MLP Forums is running faster and smoother than ever before.

Posted Image

(edited)

these forums only costs $0,001/month to run and you take all other money for yourself and do silly stuff with them! I can see you through your computer screen!

Posted Image

:blink:

Good work exposing Feld, but I was certain that that thing with the duck was his deepest secret.

Posted Image

I like this idea instead of having the usual 3 day status thing where you could only donate a dollar; the sentence always seemed a bit too short for my liking.

There's another good reason for subscriptions.

Edited by Princess Mi Amore Cadenza

It is a good idea as long as, as you said, it isn't a compulsory auto renew subscription as some people can only afford to donate now and again.

There needs to be two systems, one a auto renew and the other one a one off donation but both with set amounts to choose from as some people can't commit to regular payments.

It doesn't just have to be per month either, some people might want to donate a small amount every week or two as that is all they can afford.

Basically there's a lot of ways that this can be done and we need to consider not just for now but also for the future as money can fluctuate a lot and the amount and the consistency people can donate will change over time.

Well as long as I can donate as usual and not need to worry about any subscriptions, I think it's a good idea.

Posted Image

Hehe, anyways, I'm going to do another donation when I can. I'm getting a debit card tomorrow.

He buys endless amounts of Twilight Sparkle plushies and miscellaneous merchandise that arranges by obtained date on a shelf above his computer :3

Anyway, I haven't been able to donate yet let alone keep a subscription so I doubt I could subscribe, and if so, not anytime soon. However whatever it takes to maintain this site the way it is should be done, so good luck~

Personally, I'm not in a situation to donate (teenager with no job), but when I get a job, I plan on doing donations if I ever get free money. I don't really want to be in a situation where I have to keep paying every month, I need to start saving up if I want to go to University, but I understand that people with higher income can donate more often, so I think we could benefit from 2 donation systems. One having the subscription system, and the other using one-time donations, that grant you Donor status for 3 days for every dollar/pound/euro/whatever you donate.

Yep, nothing disagree with here! Everything sounds just about perfect! I think one-time donators would be more-than satisfied with this current structure.

(but then again, why would anypony want to donate to this place only once? ;))

Thank you ever so much for the server up-up-up-upgrade, I didn't think I could stand the last one much longer! Here's to our communitie's everlasting dedicated achievement in helping the place in financial assistance! :)

Just to clarify, NASCARFAN160, by "current structure", are you referring to the current donation tracker we use or the new system I proposed in the OP? FYI, in my proposal, the subscription system would completely replace the donations tracker.

I'd be willing to start off with that $10/month subscription, anything above that right now and my parents wouldn't like it. I'd even try the $20/month one eventually, but that might be a bit steep right now for me, since I won't be starting my new internship for more than a month.

Above that is out of the question until I get a job that pays a lot more ^_^

The subscriptions system I'm looking at would allow you to upgrade or downgrade between subscription tiers as you wish. The idea is, rather than setting an exact price on the donor status (which is currently 3 days per dollar), you would instead choose how much you want to donate every month. The subscription would effectively take on the role of reminding you to make your monthly donation.

Sounds reasonable.

I don't have a constant income of money so I won't subscribe, but I thought about making a one time donation in the near future.

So if you keep the old donation system and add the new subscribe thing, it would be great.

Sounds like a good idea, the only problem being what you said, those who are interested in making a one time donation.

So we could just have both subscriptions and donations, as Bugz suggested.

It would be a nice feature for those who like to pay for a monthly subscription. But its something that wont catch me.

Aslong as the normal donation is still available, im happy.

On another note, I have to wonder if you will really get $50/month donations =P

It is a good idea as long as, as you said, it isn't a compulsory auto renew subscription as some people can only afford to donate now and again.

There needs to be two systems, one a auto renew and the other one a one off donation but both with set amounts to choose from as some people can't commit to regular payments.

It doesn't just have to be per month either, some people might want to donate a small amount every week or two as that is all they can afford.

Basically there's a lot of ways that this can be done and we need to consider not just for now but also for the future as money can fluctuate a lot and the amount and the consistency people can donate will change over time.

Personally, I'm not in a situation to donate (teenager with no job), but when I get a job, I plan on doing donations if I ever get free money. I don't really want to be in a situation where I have to keep paying every month, I need to start saving up if I want to go to University, but I understand that people with higher income can donate more often, so I think we could benefit from 2 donation systems. One having the subscription system, and the other using one-time donations, that grant you Donor status for 3 days for every dollar/pound/euro/whatever you donate.

It looks like quite a few of you would like to keep the existing donation tracker instead of replacing it entirely with a subscription system, as I had proposed. I would like to point out that the only commitment you actually make with a subscription is a commitment to yourself. You would be welcome to upgrade, downgrade, or cancel your subscription at any time.

With that said, how would you feel about making a "one-time donation" by buying a one-month subscription and not renewing it, instead of dropping it into the donation tracker as you do now?

• Brohoof 1

With that said, how would you feel about making a "one-time donation" by buying a one-month subscription and not renewing it, instead of dropping it into the donation tracker as you do now?

I think that would be a good idea for many of us. Go ahead, you have my full support.

i would love to donate but i get below minimum wage(4$ an hour) and i work an hour a day.i get 40$ a week minus 20$ for gas for a week. so i get about 20$ to myself...and i use that for drawing and music stuff so im pretty hooked at the moment.....but when i get a raise ill gladfully donate!!!!

That would work, also allow people to pay however much or little they want for the subscription would be a good idea. I think.

What? I dont fully understand what you mean, I feel a bit stupid.. Could you explain again?

(edited)

What? I dont fully understand what you mean, I feel a bit stupid.. Could you explain again?

He's saying that one could make a one-time donation by getting a subscription for one month. Since one would only have to pay once. Edited by Princess Mi Amore Cadenza

He's saying that one could make a one-time donation by getting a subscription for one month. Since one would only have to pay once.

Aww but then I'll have to renew the sub every month by paying more and I dont think im able to do that.. I still want to keep the normal donation system..

(edited)

Aww but then I'll have to renew the sub every month by paying more and I dont think im able to do that.. I still want to keep the normal donation system..

You don't have to, it will ask you if you want to renew your subscription. It won't automatically take money from you unless you want it to. Lets say it's basically like the current donation system but more sustainable.

Edited by Tyrael
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

You don't have to renew it. What he said.

There are too many ninjas on these forums.

So have a completely unrelated, cute and cuddly creature:

Posted Image

Edited by Princess Mi Amore Cadenza