Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E06 - Forever Filly

Dark Qiviut

Forever Filly  

103 users have voted

1. 1. Like It or Not?

• The Worst. Possible. THING! ("I HATE IT!!!" >__<)
    • *flops on couch in despair, eats ice cream* ("I dislike it." -__-)
    • …Meh…
    • Simply Divine! ("I like it!")
    • Fabulous! ("I love it!" <3)

3 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Does anyone else feel season 7 is kind of boring?

Not one of my complaints. This episode may have overlooked some things I would have liked to see, but it wasn't boring to me. The episodes are laid back, which is a trait the show has more often than not.

I liked enough in this episode to say it was fine in general. 

I think I'm somewhere in-between meh and I liked it. Since I enjoyed the last scene and am going to take from that the implication that it wasn't about growing out of ones childhood tastes completely, I'll be generous here. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Some other issues:

1. "Some folks outgrow what they loved to do in childhood" isn't a bad moral in itself, but it's also a really clichéd moral, and this show has more than often tried to subvert those lessons. While many of our tastes mature, not all of us let go of so-called "kiddy stuff." Whether it's for nostalgia, quality, or some forth, some of us still enjoy childlike pastimes, and that's fine. At the end, Rarity and SB messily ate a huge sundae at the ice cream parlor, but SB states that she outgrew with pretty much all of them featured in the episode. Either it lacks consistency or feels incomplete.

What they could do is show that Sweetie Belle isn't enjoying spending those "kiddy pastimes," but is constantly distracted, and it doesn't help when she's reminded of Zipporwhill struggling to understand why she and her dog can't coexist. SB could also tell Rarity that she likes these events, but can't enjoy them, because she feels she has another important job to do.
  2. The conflict doesn't have as much weight as it should. The cold open of Rarity bawling in her Canterlot boutique could've been altered into something that really shows how much Rarity and Sweetie Belle enjoy their time together, like the swing, balloons, puppet shows, costumes, etc. Show us that they love each other's company. Maybe instead of Rarity suddenly leaving the boutique, have her arrange a time where they're supposed to meet, but Sweetie Belle forgets or has to cancel a couple of times. Do something to really make Rarity believe that Sweetie doesn't enjoy spending time with her anymore, so when she sees an image of them enjoying the swing, it can hit her emotionally.
Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Not one of my complaints. This episode may have overlooked some things I would have liked to see, but it wasn't boring to me. The episodes are laid back, which is a trait the show has more often than not.

I liked enough in this episode to say it was fine in general. 

I think I'm somewhere in-between meh and I liked it. Since I enjoyed the last scene and am going to take from that the implication that it wasn't about growing out of ones childhood tastes completely, I'll be generous here. 

I may change my opinions a bit later.. but at the moment this episode really struck me in a lot of good ways... I did not see it as growing out of ones tastes, so much as growing up in general, and having someone only see you as a snapshot in time, and not as a changing and growing being. I have fallen into this with friends and family.. so for me the episode really connected with me. I am probably overlooking some of its faults because of the memories clouding my eyes.

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

At the end, Rarity and SB messily ate a huge sundae at the ice cream parlor, but SB states that she outgrew with pretty much all of them featured in the episode. Either it lacks consistency or feels incomplete.

And I think that is my biggest issue in general. Both the A and B stories feel like an unfinished sentence as I mentioned to you earlier. 

I also could have been holding this episode to an unfair standard since the other Rarity and SB episodes have been great or (in the case of Sisterhooves Social) a near perfect episode. 

• Brohoof 1

I found this episode to be very enjoyable. It's great to see Sassy Saddles again after a few seasons. It's nice seeing how Rarity remembers the good times that she spent with Sweetie Belle. The pictures were pretty cool and shows they had fun times with the activity. I love how the crusaders are still helping out with others. Seeing Chip Cutter as an artist was very interesting. I also like how the crusaders are getting clients who need help with getting their marks, or trying to figure their marks meaning. I thought it was neat how they brought Zipprwhill back from Filli Vanilli. It also feels like a lot of time has passed since then. Considering how Ripley was a small puppy from back then. Then we see him as a fully grown adult dog. It makes you wonder how much time has passes in the seasons. I liked how Rarity was taking Sweetie Belle to all her favorite activities. Even though Sweetie was annoyed, I thought it was nice of her to try and enjoy what Rarity had planned. I found some moments hilarious and I'm glad they brought the chicken suit back. I'm glad that Sweetie Belle decided to let Rarity know how she was feeling. Instead of Sweetie not saying anything at all, in the end. I liked the moral of the story and felt it was a sort of coming of age type of story. While Sweetie may not like the things they used to do, it's nice knowing they can still enjoy each others company in new activities. All in all, I really liked the episode and I look forward to what will happen next. 

• Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

I may change my opinions a bit later.. but at the moment this episode really struck me in a lot of good ways... I did not see it as growing out of ones tastes, so much as growing up in general, and having someone only see you as a snapshot in time, and not as a changing and growing being. I have fallen into this with friends and family.. so for me the episode really connected with me. I am probably overlooking some of its faults because of the memories clouding my eyes.

Aye and I completely get that. I have plenty of episodes that I love and like that many consider horrible because they connect with me personally. 

On a lighter note, I had to laugh at Rarity lauding Sassy on her management skills immediately after Rarity was shown to be in uber management mode while completing her design Dear lord Rarity is a force to be reckoned with when it comes to staying on top of her businesses. 

• Brohoof 1

I liked this episode. More so than this weeks one in the U.S. I was glad to see healthy character growth & consistency for Fluttershy, but it did feel bland. There wasn't much conflict or doubt. Shy knew what she wanted, stuck to her guns and got it. There wasn't much drama or intreague compared to this one, where you wondered how it would pan out between the two, how the connections woudl be made and how the moral would be explored. 

That and Fluttershy Leans In was a bit spoiled for me, so that may be another factor on why Forever Filly was the superior episode. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

"Some folks outgrow what they loved to do in childhood"

I maybe missed it, or just saw it another way... but that is not the morale I got from it... what I got was "We can't stay live in the past... and treat everything like the past".

Rarity was looking at Sweetie Belle the same as she looked at her (years.... months?..... hell I dunno) ago... she was seeing her as the Sweetie Belle she remembered, or as the Sweetie Belle she liked to do those things with... and not as the sweetie Belle she is now. Both of them so often are off doing their own things, growing as individuals, and finding new things they enjoy and new ways to express themselves... that I can see them losing touch with each others likes. Of course just last season Sweetie Belle was hyped about derby racers, so it makes you question it somewhat. Still I got mixed messages from the morale like I said... and just saw it more for something else.

• Brohoof 2

There is something to be said about the threat of nostalgia clouding our perspective of people as they are now, so if that is what people are taking from the episode, that's awesome. 

• Brohoof 1

Well...it wasn't godawful like 9/10 Rarity episodes are wont to be.

Even though, as usual, the entire plot could've been solved in the first five minutes had Sweetie Belle put her hoof down sooner

Good fluffy slice of life episode ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I really like this episode because it show the close bond between Rarity and Sweetie Belle as they continue learn from each other. It's time that Sweetie Belle had shown that Rarity can't treat her as she did in the past because she's grown more as her only sister. Understanding each other is crucial to knowing one another and in that way they can accommodate their interests for the better. A really good classic slice-of-life episode for older and younger viewers who can relate to by getting to spend time and with their siblings.

• Brohoof 1

Ok the Fox Bros are officially the Gives No Fux Bros now 

These two clowns can't write a good episode to save their life! 
Don't believe me? Well then let's have a look at their episode history with me.

The Gift Of Maud Pie 4/10
Applejack's Day Off 4.8/10
P.P.O.V. 5.1/10

And now Forever Filly. No writer in the 7 year span of the show had made me more vehemently ENRAGED than the 'work' of these two HACKS! This episode took a great moral and RUINED it with terrible presentation. No common sense, no subtly, just blatantly smash you over the head with it at the end. Rarity couldn't pick up on the hint's Sweetie Belle was giving her even after Sweetie Belle flat out TOLD HER she is too old for the kid stuff Rarity still thought she liked doing. Under a good writer like say M.A. Larson or maybe even Nick Confalone or Mike Vogel this moral could have been done very well. But since it's the Give No Fux Bros I shouldn't be surprised it turned out the way it did.

I just love how after saying the season has been consistently good in my last episode review I get hit with this... An episode that WOULD have turned out good if LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE would have wrote it. Not even Joanna Lewis and Kristine Songco at the helm of editing could save this episode.

Like in GoMP, Rarity was written more akin to Pinkie Pie. Sweetie Belle was dull and uninteresting just to teach the moral. I was more interested in the side story with the dog than I was with Rarity and Sweetie Belle. The episode made me cringe which a good MLP episode should never do.

The episode expects me to buy that Rarity fell out of touch with this filly WHO LIVES WITH HER I REMIND YOU.
Rarity breaks down crying 7 seconds after seeing a picture of her as Sweetie Belle proclaiming that she misses her. Not even my mom breaks down that quickly. Yeah, maybe if Rarity was fighting a war in Saddle Arabia since season 4 I could buy that, but she has seen Sweetie Belle many times in the past few years so fuck you.
They didn't even try to hide it. I knew what the moral was gonna be even before Rarity left her Canterlot shop. 

I think I have torn this episode apart quite thoroughly. I hate the Give No Fux Bros, I really do, and yes that is what I am going to call them until they write a GOOD episode. 

6/10 
It had a good moral and they TRIED and that is the ONLY thing that keeps this episode from being any lower for me 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This was my absolute favorite episode of the season so far! It was adorable. Zippoorwhill is just so, so cute! And somehow I never noticed she was in season 4. I think that's what I saw, anyhow.

Anyhow, I thought the lesson about maturing was so relatable and I often find myself feeling like Sweetie Belle. Things change.

What a lovely episode! I'm surprised my favorite episode of the season so far wasn't one with Starlight in it. Oh, well!

Edited by AkuStarburstLyraFries
  • Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, Zantetsuken said:

The episode expects me to buy that Rarity fell out of touch with this filly WHO LIVES WITH HER I REMIND YOU.

Uh, you forgot about Sisterhooves Social and One Bad Apple. Sweetie Belle doesn't live with Rarity all the time. She lives with her parents, too.

• Brohoof 2

20 minutes ago, Zantetsuken said:

Rarity breaks down crying 7 seconds after seeing a picture of her as Sweetie Belle proclaiming that she misses her. Not even my mom breaks down that quickly.

You've watched this show before right? 7 seconds is a pretty long time in Rarity-breaking-down-and-going-melodramatic-time. Usually she does not make 3 or 4 seconds.

• Brohoof 2

37 minutes ago, Zantetsuken said:

Ok the Fox Bros are officially the Gives No Fux Bros now 

These two clowns can't write a good episode to save their life! 

The Gift Of Maud Pie 4/10
Applejack's Day Off 4.8/10
P.P.O.V. 5.1/10

And now Forever Filly. No writer in the 7 year span of the show had made me more vehemently ENRAGED than the 'work' of these two HACKS! This episode took a great moral and RUINED it with terrible presentation. No common sense, no subtly, just blatantly smash you over the head with it at the end. Rarity couldn't pick up on the hint's Sweetie Belle was giving her even after Sweetie Belle flat out TOLD HER she is too old for the kid stuff Rarity still thought she liked doing. Under a good writer like say M.A. Larson or maybe even Nick Confalone or Mike Vogel this moral could have been done very well. But since it's the Give No Fux Bros I shouldn't be surprised it turned out the way it did.

I just love how after saying the season has been consistently good in my last episode review I get hit with this... An episode that WOULD have turned out good if LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE would have wrote it. Not even Joanna Lewis and Kristine Songco at the helm of editing could save this episode.

Like in GoMP, Rarity was written more akin to Pinkie Pie. Sweetie Belle was dull and uninteresting just to teach the moral. I was more interested in the side story with the dog than I was with Rarity and Sweetie Belle. The episode made me cringe which a good MLP episode should never do.

Rarity breaks down crying 7 seconds after seeing a picture of her as Sweetie Belle proclaiming that she misses her. Not even my mom breaks down that quickly. Yeah, maybe if Rarity was fighting a war in Saddle Arabia since season 4 I could buy that, but she has seen Sweetie Belle many times in the past few years so fuck you.
They didn't even try to hide it. I knew what the moral was gonna be even before Rarity left her Canterlot shop. 

I think I have torn this episode apart quite thoroughly. I hate the Give No Fux Bros, I really do, and yes that is what I am going to call them until they write a GOOD episode. 

6/10 
It had a good moral and they TRIED and that is the ONLY thing that keeps this episode from being any lower for me 

So I take it you weren't a fan of the episode? It's hard to tell because of the subtle, intelligent, and respectful way you approached things here. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
44 minutes ago, Zantetsuken said:

The only bad episode they wrote is PPOV. The other three, this one including, are passable.

An episode that WOULD have turned out good if LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE would have wrote it.

Every writer, even the best ones, can publish sucky stories. You can't simply assume that a writer can publish a great story just because.

the Gives No Fux Bros

These two clowns

two HACKS!

These writers are people like you, I, and everyone else. Regardless how you feel about this episode and the others they wrote, you're NOT entitled to verbally abuse the writers.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 4

26 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Uh, you forgot about Sisterhooves Social and One Bad Apple. Sweetie Belle doesn't live with Rarity all the time. She lives with her parents, too.

Yep. And we see her parents with Sweetie Belle in Inspiration Manifestation so they certainly aren't absent.

Sweetie Belle staying over with Rarity Is like what happened with my sister-in-law. She crashed over a lot during her tween and early teen years but still lived with her folks.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

These writers are people like you, I, and everyone else. Regardless how you feel about this episode and others, you're NOT entitled to verbally abuse the writers.

I liked the episode a lot personally. But I have to disagree. People have a right to free speech. That includes being hateful.

• Brohoof 1

46 minutes ago, Zantetsuken said:

Rarity breaks down crying 7 seconds after seeing a picture of her as Sweetie Belle proclaiming that she misses her. Not even my mom breaks down that quickly. 

I'm sorry that your mom doesn't miss you in that way. Maybe she is the 'crying in the inside kinda lady'

FYI, that reaction, while a little over the top because of the character, is rooted in a lot of truth. It was one of the nicer parts of the episode. It definitely showed the bond that Rarity built with her kid sis. 

Early thoughts with slight spoilers: I loved this one and really adored the lesson! This lesson can also be applied to newly disabled people. In most cases you can not change them back to able bodied people so you have to accept a new way of doing things which is accessible etc. I loved how the 2 plots connected and loved seeing the CMC helping fillies. This episode has great continuity! 

This one hit home for me on a personal level in that it reminded me of the fact that I have a few nephews and a niece who are still young, but then they will grow up before I know it and what they're interested in right now will no longer be the case. This feeling will also be felt by my parents and my siblings when they come to the same realization that the grandkids won't stay young forever. Rarity and Sweetie Belle had great chemistry together though I'll admit Rarity might want to hold back the emotions a little. She went a little overboard even for her and she came off as slightly off-character.

Surprised that Sassy Saddles made another appearance but she got some character development that revolved around being both panicky and knowing how to make others feel better whenever they are upset. As for the CMC side-story that occurred, I related to it really because I have dogs for pets and sometimes I have to be reminded that they aren't puppies anymore. A shame that one filly with the cutie mark in sculpting didn't come back into the episode after he found his talent. He could have done something else other than simply disappear.

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention the CMC clubhouse and what they had on the wall. It shows how far they've come since receiving their cutie marks and embracing their destinies.

• Brohoof 1