Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E06 - Forever Filly

Dark Qiviut

Forever Filly  

103 users have voted

1. 1. Like It or Not?

• The Worst. Possible. THING! ("I HATE IT!!!" >__<)
    • *flops on couch in despair, eats ice cream* ("I dislike it." -__-)
    • …Meh…
    • Simply Divine! ("I like it!")
    • Fabulous! ("I love it!" <3)

7 minutes ago, Firedog said:

I liked the episode a lot personally. But I have to disagree. People have a right to free speech. That includes being hateful.

Well, you can't use free speech as an excuse. That doesn't really stop people from calling you out for being a dick :P 

• Brohoof 2

Just now, MissDiamond said:

To be honest, it was a good episode. I was cringing at some scenes, but it was a nice episode, overall. 10.5/10. 

yea It was really good. I did cringe at the first puppet show scene. I've kinda gotten a resistence to the cringe though now and I can slip past it

Just now, Whompy Whomperson said:

Well, you can't use free speech as an excuse. That doesn't really stop people from calling you out for being a dick :P 

True, but he said he wasn't entitled to verbally abuse the writers for the episode. I was just saying that he actually is entitled to do so because of the 1st amendment he has a right to do so.

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, Firedog said:

I liked the episode a lot personally. But I have to disagree. People have a right to free speech. That includes being hateful.

Perhaps, however a person who takes it too far certainly will not earn as much respect and endearment from others. I sure as hell won't give a person like that a cookie for good composure unless it was said in satire. 

And as lackluster as some of their work is, they still write better than most people who complain about them, so there's also that. Bitching about writers on that level almost feels as if a person is claiming they could do a better job, to which I say ... lolno you can't.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Firedog said:

1. Forums like this one are privately maintained, so freedom of speech doesn't apply. And freedom of speech =/= freedom of being called out.
  2. Hating and bashing an episode doesn't entitle anyone into personally attacking the writers. No writer here, including the Fox Brothers, deserves to be insulted.
Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

Well, I suppose.... I hate having second-hand embarrassment, honesltly. I just can't enjoy the shows or the pictures I search. Yesterday, I waited the whole hour just to open the damn picture lol. 

I don't know why, I hate being too sensitive. 

And the episode, I always love seeing Rarity with the CMC so it's a + from me. 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Firedog said:

yea It was really good. I did cringe at the first puppet show scene. I've kinda gotten a resistence to the cringe though now and I can slip past it

True, but he said he wasn't entitled to verbally abuse the writers for the episode. I was just saying that he actually is entitled to do so because of the 1st amendment he has a right to do so.

First amendment? 

Canada has a first amendment? O.o

pretty good episode moral wise though i think the execution could've been better at some of the reactions as some of them seemed bit extreme  taking the context into consideration

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Dark Qiviut said:
  1. Forums like this one are privately maintained, so freedom of speech doesn't apply. And freedom of speech =/= freedom of being called out.

Yes, but you werent referring to the forums you said he wasn't entitled to verbally abuse the writers for an episode. Which isn't true. The first amendment entitles you to speak freely. While the forums can tell him to stop, that doesn't remove his entitlement to do so from his own basis.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, ooBrony said:

pretty good episode moral wise though i think the execution could've been better at some of the reactions as some of them seemed bit extreme  taking the context into consideration

Yeah. I have to say that Sweetie Belle certainly has matured since FWtSBT. It's nice giving her a little room to grow. 

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Does anyone else feel season 7 is kind of boring?

Yep. So far it honestly feels like a huge step back, and I'm beginning to get a feeling of outright sterility from the whole thing. It's super polished and gets a lot of details right and yet really isn't all that entertaining. 

4 minutes ago, Jeric said:

First amendment? 

Canada has a first amendment? O.o

We don't have a single written constitution like the States does, so to my understanding, amendments aren't referred to by numbers. 

4 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Yep. So far it honestly feels like a huge step back, and I'm beginning to get a feeling of outright sterility from the whole thing. It's super polished and gets a lot of details right and yet really isn't all that entertaining. 

We don't have a single written constitution like the States does, so to my understanding, amendments aren't referred to by numbers. 

Yeah. I was being a little facetious there since a US Amendment dealing with government obstruction of free speech was attributed to a site that is a Canadian Non-profit Corporation. It made me chuckle a little. 

It's also distracting from the point that no matter what some of our issues with the Fox brothers and this episode are, it certainly wasn't as horrible as to imply that they have no talent for the craft. 

Inconsistent with missed opportunities, but overall it was fine. 

10 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Yeah. I have to say that Sweetie Belle certainly has matured since FWtSBT. It's nice giving her a little room to grow. 

yeah getting a nice feeling of show going forward as the characters grow older which I think  makes the show more interesting seeing how the characters will grow and adapt into a changing environment.

• Brohoof 2

This is a pretty good moral but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bored by almost all of it. Sure, all the mannerisms are correct, and on the surface it doesn't strictly seem like there's any notable inconsistencies, but it's hard to sympathise with Rarity when she's so insensitive in this, and that this is the first time we've heard about her distance from Sweetie makes things even worse. Which might have been fine, but this just doesn't have a whole lot of humour or variety, and every element is so aggressively built around the moral that it just stops feeling natural. I miss season 6. 

More at my offsite blog

• Brohoof 1

I want to talk about my review that I wrote of the episode 

Normally I wouldn't respond to something like this but I have gotten enough replies that I feel I need to address and rectify some things 

First off I do realize (now) that the comment about Sweetie Belle living with Rarity wasn't entirely accurate I was just saying that going off of thinking of a few episodes where Sweetie Belle is staying with Rarity. We haven't seen their parent's since that one season 2 episode so I apologize that slipped my mind I was thinking of more recent episodes. 

Now the thing about calling the Fox Bros the Give No Fux Bros.
Ok I will admit that was very immature of me and I apologize for that. But in my defense I haven't liked any of the episodes they have written and I just don't think their writing is on par with the other show writers. I think their episodes are considerably lower quality writing wise and a lot of their humor is mostly miss in my opinion. If you like their episodes wither its this one or one of the three they wrote in season 6 then more power to you but I don't like them. If I write another review of one of their episodes this season I will address them properly but they ARE my least favorite writers on staff as of this episode.

I admit my criticisms were very harsh and now that I am more controlled and calmed down I will admit I don't really like the way I worded them but they are still issues I had with the episode. 

So if you saw my review and didn't like what I had to say or my criticisms let me say I have heard you and I am sorry and I will be more respectful in the future. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Firedog said:

Yes, but you werent referring to the forums you said he wasn't entitled to verbally abuse the writers for an episode. Which isn't true. The first amendment entitles you to speak freely. While the forums can tell him to stop, that doesn't remove his entitlement to do so from his own basis.

The first amendment:

Spoiler

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It refers directly to the kinds of laws Congress is prohibited from passing. Private citizens don't have to abide by it if they don't want to. That means they could delete such comments if so inclined and there's nothing in the US Constitution that says otherwise. (Also if this board is established in Canada, there's that, too.) This is why sports and movie stars can be fired if they make hateful comments - if they're hurting the bottom line of a corporation (who, according to SCOTUS and Mitt, are people too even if I disagree with that) with their embarrassing talk, out the door they go. Funny how Capitalism works that way.

Granted, squelching every negative comment would be a really bad way to run a board, so most admins try to avoid that drama unless a user is really problematic. Getting too overzealous with the delete button would be a quick way to give a board a bad rep with everyone.

Apologies for getting off-topic. I haven't seen the episode yet - I rewatched FLI. More on that in the other topic!

• Brohoof 1

I gotta admit, at first, I wasn't too impressed with this episode- which kinda worried me since I really liked the premise when I first read the synopsis. Rarity's overdramatism at the beginning was kinda eyeroll-worthy, and the way she sorta got all mushy with Sweetie Belle when she first comes to the clubhouse was a bit much. And it seems kinda odd of Rarity to be treating Sweetie this blatantly like a little kid. I mean, Rarity should know Sweetie Belle a little bit better at this point, right?

Which brings me to another major-minor issue...Rarity brings up the fact that she hasn't been spending that much time with Sweetie Belle, but hasn't the series sorta shown that the opposite is true? She helped Sweetie Belle with her cart in The Cart Before the Ponies, helped the CMC out with the filly guide cookie sales in 28 Pranks Later...the list goes on. I suppose there was that one time she had to miss the Sisterhooves Social in Made In Manehattan/Brotherhooves Social, but I'd say she's still had plenty of time with her younger sister.

However, I think the episode seemed to get better towards the climax, mostly because of the parallels drawn between Zipporwhill and her puppy, and Rarity and Sweetie Belle. I like how Rarity learns the lesson really just by listening to Sweetie Belle give advice to another filly. The blending of the two plots in this episode just seemed natural and made for an interesting resolution. Combine that with a heartwarming (though not tug-at-your-heartstrings) reconciliation between the two sisters, and you've got a satisfactory ending.

Overall, I'd say I enjoyed this one. Not one of my favorites, but I'll likely rewatch it in the distant future.

• Brohoof 3

I have to say, I QUITE liked this episode, however, I feel like the overall lesson from it, is one more geared towards the older audience / parents who might be watching with young children. What I took away from this, is that people change, and that holding on to a memory of who they were, can hinder a relationship you have with who they are.

I will say, I thought the plot with the two remaining CMC's was kinda week, since it was obvious from first glance, that they weren't gonna solve the problem with the dog until Sweetie Belle returned to them.

But I do like how it implies the progression of time. Normally with simple slice-of-life shows, it's mostly implied that everything is stagnant, and they basically exist out of time. I do think it works in the shows favour, to show these characters changing and growing (in the case of Sweetie Belle), as the target audience continues to grow as well. It adds a level of relatability, even if most don't quite pick up on it.

Also, since I know it irked many, I honestly don't think Rarity not noticing Sweetie Belle's growth is a big deal. I mean, how often do you notice the little changes in someone? Especially ones that require more interaction to notice, like what food someone might enjoy, or what they do for fun. These things are gradual, and not always apparent. Also, its stated that the two don't interact often due to their own commitments. Nothing wrong there.

While I wasn't blown away with the ep, I really enjoyed it. I especially sympathized with Sweetie Belle, she's growing into her own pony, and it's nice that her sister wants her to remain close, but just didn't want to see the growth, and wanted her to stay young forever. I think that's something anyone who's looking back on their own younger years can recognize and understand. Like, who's parents (or family) ever really wants their young child to grow up? Rarity REALLY struck me as a parent type who just didn't want to acknowledge the truth in front of her. Really reminded me of my mom in years past~

Idk, I'm sure I'm rambling at this point, but I really just saw the episode as adapting to people growing and changing around you, when you might not be ready for them to do so.

All in all, a good ep.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Truffles said:

The first amendment:

Reveal hidden contents

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It refers directly to the kinds of laws Congress is prohibited from passing. Private citizens don't have to abide by it if they don't want to. That means they could delete such comments if so inclined and there's nothing in the US Constitution that says otherwise. (Also if this board is established in Canada, there's that, too.) This is why sports and movie stars can be fired if they make hateful comments - if they're hurting the bottom line of a corporation (who, according to SCOTUS and Mitt, are people too even if I disagree with that) with their embarrassing talk, out the door they go. Funny how Capitalism works that way.

I never said that the first amendment means he is immune from getting his response deleted from the forum or from having social consequences from what was said.

The person I was replying to said he was not entitled to verbally abuse the writers for an episode.

All I was saying is that he actually is entitled to do so because of the 1st amendment, which is true.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, PacificGreen said:

Combine that with a heartwarming (though not tug-at-your-heartstrings) reconciliation between the two sisters,

This is important. I'll come back to why Rarity getting teary eyed works well. 

1 hour ago, PacificGreen said:

Rarity's overdramatism at the beginning was kinda eyeroll-worthy, and the way she sorta got all mushy with Sweetie Belle when she first comes to the clubhouse was a bit much.

One of my favorite personality traits of Rares is her habit of going a little overboard, even when not warranted. Her dramatic nature, whether played for humor or otherwise can be fun but it usually is played humorously. When she is sad about something that is closer to her, well ... her scene in the rain during Rarity Takes Manehattan is a great example of how to portray a depressed Rarity. While it didn't bother me as much, this has to be my least favorite meltdown. It almost feels that it was done that way just so Sassy could make the 'quick turnaround' joke. I think it would have worked better if Rarity started out at a level 3 and not straight to level 10. 

Now, the reason the reconciliation works very very well for me. When I first watched this I missed the line Rarity said to Sweetie Belle, and when I heard it on second viewing I felt this scene come together. The line was, "When we did those things last time, I didn't realize it would be the last last time."  Heartfelt and genuine, and poignant. 

I also realized that for a second there was a shot that looked vaguely like this one. Curious if they did that on purpose. 

Rarity_singing_to_Sweetie_Belle_S5E18.pn

774f714e211642c7b3b25d61df14295e.png

• Brohoof 3

Things I learned from this episode:

1. Rarity’s mood swings seem to be more sudden than ever. But she is still the drama queen.

2. CMCs have grown up, but it didn’t affect their appearance. Maybe it’s for the best, as teen ponies we’ve seen so far do not look particularly attractive to me.

3. CMCs’ “business” is going perfectly fine, even though it’s partially off screen – it’s a nice thing, IMO.

4. Zippoorwhill is very cute – another brilliant performance from Tabitha.

5. I need to call my nephew, find out what he’s up to. It’s been ages since we spent quality time together.

All in all, it was a not particularly “fabulous”, but still quite important episode that showed us some interesting little things about Rarity and Sweetie Belle’s sisterly life.

Spoiler

P. S. The 6th thing I learned – Scootaloo is not only a chicken, but also a good dog.

I find it odd that Sweetie wouldn't be interested in the balloon animals. She was interested in the ones Pinkie made in The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows which, BTW, was the first episode RIGHT AFTER Lost Mark in the latter half of season 5.

• Brohoof 3

Epic episode!!

I think this one can really have an impact on everyone, I mean look, let's face it, we all as bronies still have the kid in us, but then we now have grown-up stuff we do now. I mean, I remember the last last time I went to Chuck E. Cheese. I even remember my dad saying it would be my last. And now, I go to a bigger arcade. And now, MLP:FIM, is perhaps the only cartoon I watch, unless it's something on Boomerang just for nostalgia.

But poor Rarity though, at least Sweetie taught her something good. 

I feel like this episode could've hit home harder if it was with Sweetie's parents. How often do they spend time with her, anyway? It would be more meaningful if the parents, rather than the sister, was missing out on bonding and missing their little Sweetie grow up, due to not being there as much

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎06 at 8:47 AM, MAIKUN said:

BOOYAH! BOOYAH! I was right about the Age lift in the first place! They did with Digimon season 2 and King of the Hill with Breckin Meyer voicing Joseph!

Every character has been aging in the show since it first started though the writers don't always acknowledge this unless the fandom picks up on it.