movies/tv The Land Before Time

Tyger

The Land Before Time is one of my favorite movies. I remember I was watching this movie after I hadn't in several years, and Little Foot's mom dies. I was a bit surprised to find myself in tears. It's a bit weird how this stuff doesn't bother you as a kid, but then you grow up and ;_; .

As with a lot of my favorite movies, I really enjoy the music. Not any of the songs from the sequels, I'm just talking about the first movie, which just has background music except for the credits song.

Not only does it show a kid (Little Foot) struggling along on his own, he's kind of an orphan. I mean, he's got his grandparents, but you never see his dad and his mom just died. That's rough! (Don't you dare mention that movie where his dad comes back. Horseapples I say!)

But along the way he meets some friends, some tough, some not so bright, and some who are just crazy. They're all going through the same thing where they've lost their entire families and are alone. I guess it kind of sends the message that you are never alone, and you don't have to be... and people will excuse you if you don't put on a brave face. And ya, it's okay to cry when people we love pass on. Sometimes we'll fight with friends, but in the end you make up and things turn out okay. It's definitely got a lot of lessons that, even if you don't learn from this movie, you'll learn in school/life, and can then relate to these characters.

Oh man...this was my favorite movie series as a kid. I never liked watching the first one because it was so depressing lol. I liked the one where they went to that island or whatever. Also that one with Littlefoot's cousin was kind of interesting.

I loved Land before Time, that one and all of the Sequels. This was seriously one of my favorite Don Bluth films. That movie always makes me so sad, even when it's supposed to be kind of a happy movie. The saddest was when I was thinking of that poor little girl who played Ducky and Anne Marie in ADGTH. She was killed by her father when she was only 10 years old.sad.png

Edited by Scootaloo Is Best Filly

I think the first one was the best one i because it was brutal, it had very good animation and both George Lucas and Steven Speilburg worked on it. All the other ones are too sing songy lol. I still like the other ones though but the first one by far is my favorite one.

Spolier:

Little Foot's Mom dying still gives me feels every time i watch it.

• 8 years later...
  • 8 months later...
7 hours ago, Shadowmoth2011 said:

I remember seeing bits of The Land Before Time's TV series as a kid, and I jumped at the chance to watch the movies proper. Movies 1, 7, 8 and 12 were always my favorites. And some of the songs go harder than they have any right to :P

Cera's baby sister in 12 is my favorite character lol :yay:

cutie patootie.png

That Tough Dino Girl got a :huh:sister?  

When I was a kid, I was really into dinosaurs (probably a lot of kids go through that phase). My parents got me the first two movies on VCD (which was cool in its own right - play a movie from a CD on my PC), except that it was dubbed (voiceover) in Russian and I did not understand Russian. I did not understand English that well at the time either, but my understanding improved over time, Russian - not so much).

Anyway, I recently bought the first 4 movies on Laserdisc (movie 5 was also released on LD, but the seller didn't have it) and watched them. Quite good. If I ever find movie 5 on LD for a low price I'll get it. I have read though, that the later movies go down in quality.

• Brohoof 3

• 3 months later...
On 2022-04-18 at 8:27 AM, Pentium100 said:

When I was a kid, I was really into dinosaurs (probably a lot of kids go through that phase). My parents got me the first two movies on VCD (which was cool in its own right - play a movie from a CD on my PC), except that it was dubbed (voiceover) in Russian and I did not understand Russian. I did not understand English that well at the time either, but my understanding improved over time, Russian - not so much).

Anyway, I recently bought the first 4 movies on Laserdisc (movie 5 was also released on LD, but the seller didn't have it) and watched them. Quite good. If I ever find movie 5 on LD for a low price I'll get it. I have read though, that the later movies go down in quality.

Wait a minute! The Land Before Time Movies are available on Laserdisc? :sunbutt:

On 2022-04-28 at 8:43 PM, Twilight Luna said:

This was my favorite movie growing up. I saw it at a couple times in the theater and had the soundtrack on cassette. I think its what got me into music. 

This movie actually has a great score!

These movies are super important to me. I watched them ad nauseum as a kid being one of the many obsessed with dinosaurs (I also watched BBC's Walking With Dinosaurs an insane amount) and read lot's of paleontology related books (mostly for the pictures when I was younger, haha)

Do you remember the one with the dinosaurs who turn out to be aliens? I sure do.

Also, I really like the one with Littlefoot finding his father.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Starset Twinkle said:

These movies are super important to me. I watched them ad nauseum as a kid being one of the many obsessed with dinosaurs (I also watched BBC's Walking With Dinosaurs an insane amount) and read lot's of paleontology related books (mostly for the pictures when I was younger, haha)

Do you remember the one with the dinosaurs who turn out to be aliens? I sure do.

Also, I really like the one with Littlefoot finding his father.

Did you know there was Walking with Dinosaurs live show? It's really cool! Even if one of the dinosaurs broke during the show when I went-