Am I the only one NOT OK with the early episode spoiling? (thx Canada!)

ImpctR

(edited)

For years and seasons it's been one episode per week and people just could not make fandom, post about anything but the latest episode because it mostly happened at the same time. And it was good, balanced, since there was just enough time to think about an episode.  All of a sudden, you have these newer and newer episodes being posted and threads being made for them, and it seems, most hurrying to post and comment and forget what was in the episode before it even airs in the US.

As much as you could say 'don't watch clips, trailers, spoilers, videos, comments, fan art about new episodes before they come to Discovery Family, it happens all over. Even I learnt with a glance that

SG might be called by the Cutie map

at some other episode 2-3 episodes away from where we are now.. And sometimes even the episode titles are spoiling enough. I know some wanna post early but isn't it better to just make 1 episode thread / week? Last week it was 1 episode more, now I am seeing 4 episode titles in advance.

Edited by ImpctR
  • Brohoof 1

I just steer clear away from all spoilers til the mid season hiatus at bare minimum. Like right now I am scrolled to the bottom of the page in order to avoid any potential spoilers you might have included in your post. The only thing I have been spoiled by thus far was an advert on TV that showed Scootaloo flying with a helmet on and poking her head through a cloud. So my point is, avoiding spoilers on an MLP forum isn't impossible. Just be diligent! xD

And now, I leave this thread.... forever!

(edited)

I'm in strong agreement with you

It's even worse because people post stuff about the new developments everywhere and sometimes you accidentally learn of it without wanting to.

Spoiler

Like I did with the nightmare moon version of Celestia. Daybreaker or whatever then name was.

(But you guys are allowed to do it so I don't really care)

Don't know who thought it was a good idea but they should really reconsider it.

Edited by Maple Bat

I'm Canadian.

When I first started watching MLP, even though the show's animation and acting are done right here in Canada (in my hometown, no less!), the episodes did not air on Canadian TV until six months after the start of the season, when the whole thing was in the can for the HUB Network (which we cannot get in Canada).

Try avoiding spoilers for that long, and you'll see why I started pirating in order to watch them on time and be able to join in conversations rather than shunning anything to do with the fandom. (I buy them later on DVD.)

Sorry, but the fact that shows are now airing in Canada a few weeks ahead of the U.S. really doesn't make me sympathetic.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't know why people are calling them "Spoilers".

The US episodes and the Canadian episodes are the same.

They aren't being "leaked" by Canada. 

It is an official TV station that has a contract with DHX that is airing them.

They would have had to get permission ahead of time to do this.

No spoilers here, just episodes being released. Just saying

And they are going to keep releasing 2 episodes a week in canada. That's how they are doing it btw. You are gonna keep getting further and further behind if you only watch when Discovery Family releases them.

Edited by Firedog
  • Brohoof 2

I am unable to afford cable TV, so the only way I can see MLP FIM is to haunt Daily Motion, You Tube, etc. 

I buy the season when it comes out on disc.  I would be happy to pay a reasonable fee for watching episodes on You Tube, etc. as they are issued, or to buy a season subscription for 20 bucks or so.  Then I would be satisfied with waiting for episodes to air, week by week.  But as it is, when I find clean copy of an an episode that I haven't seen, I download it right away.  I don't care how far ahead of the US release schedule it is.  It's the only way I can be sure of getting a clean copy of the episode.  (Before the season is issued on disc.) 

I don't have much trouble avoiding spoilers if I want to - but then I don't do social media - unless you count the MLP Forums.  I don't even own a cell phone, and I don't watch TV.  If not seeing spoilers is important to a person, it can be done. 

The Internet is a world-wide phenomenon.  And TV shows air in different countries at different times.  That's just how it is.  If you don't want to see the episodes before their release date wherever you live - then don't watch 'em!

I just wish that people who put the episodes up on YouTube, etc. would put the episode up intact - minus ads.  Sloppy cutting, and chopping the intro or credits is sort of - I dunno - disrespectful.  Especially the closing credits.  I like to look the credits over to see who the writers, voice talent, etc. are in each episode.  It's a big part of why I buy the season discs each year.  (And besides, if you get a charge out of the hard work of the people who make the show, you should be willing to shell out for it.)

YMMV

7 minutes ago, Foliha said:

I just wish that people who put the episodes up on YouTube, etc. would put the episode up intact - minus ads.  Sloppy cutting, and chopping the intro or credits is sort of - I dunno - disrespectful.  Especially the closing credits.  I like to look the credits over to see who the writers, voice talent, etc. are in each episode.  It's a big part of why I buy the season discs each year.  (And besides, if you get a charge out of the hard work of the people who make the show, you should be willing to shell out for it.)

YMMV

They do this often as a way of avoiding a copyright strike. 

YouTube has certain sounds and pictures in their database to detect copyrighted material.

The intro is in there, they could be potentially striked or taken down. Same with the credits.

Same is the case with audio, often the audio pitch is changed to avoid the copyright detection.

Sometimes Hasbro decides not to take them down. It's a weird system that is always changing. Which is why many YouTubers don't take the risk and simply cut the intro and outro. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've never really understood the fandoms hysteria over 'spoilers.' 

FIM has never been a particularly story-driven or suspenseful show, what exactly is there to be spoiled? (Outside of premieres/finales, maybe)

Edited by BadHorse
  • Brohoof 1

Since season 2, I have tried to avoid all possible information about upcoming episodes until the day it actually airs. I could still do that now, but I would much prefer to let this season last about half a year rather than a few short months. I'm still trying to maintain watching one episode a week, but for me it's inevitable to see spoilers. One example being that Royal Problems was recently uploaded onto Youtube and the uploader decided to include a thumbnail that spoils a major point of the episode. I'm not too sure whether I'll choose to watch the season finale according to Canadian scheduling; preferably not but I expect that avoiding spoilers for that for weeks will be particularly difficult.

3 hours ago, Red Cedar said:

I'm Canadian.

When I first started watching MLP, even though the show's animation and acting are done right here in Canada (in my hometown, no less!), the episodes did not air on Canadian TV until six months after the start of the season, when the whole thing was in the can for the HUB Network (which we cannot get in Canada).

Try avoiding spoilers for that long, and you'll see why I started pirating in order to watch them on time and be able to join in conversations rather than shunning anything to do with the fandom. (I buy them later on DVD.)

Sorry, but the fact that shows are now airing in Canada a few weeks ahead of the U.S. really doesn't make me sympathetic.

I'm puzzled. Why not check on EquestriaDaily when new episodes air?

I wish that Canada wasn't releasing episodes early as well.  I've been watching the early release episodes so I don't stumble upon spoilers, although I wish I didn't have to watch them.  I know it's my choice to watch the double episode weekends, but it is hard to avoid spoilers.  If even the smallest details get released to me, it's hard to forget about it, so it ends up ruining the episode for me; therefore I just watch the episode.

A recent Equestria Daily poll showed that the fandom (at least, from people who visit EqD) is pretty much 50/50 on watching early releases vs. watching them as Discovery airs them.  I hope this doesn't divide the fandom in any ways, since it is a difficult time because not everyone has seen every episode, so it is hard to discuss them.

It really is a mess this season.

I'm going to be one of those that isn't going to be extremely sympathetic. Uncharacteristic, but this is a subject that I see people complain about and it often (not always) sounds like whining. 

Star Wars and big movies like that are released overseas first.

Netflix drops entire seasons of a series at once.

Steven Universe episodes hit the CN app early. 

This is the world of digital distribution, new markets, and rapid content delivery to exhibitors. If you want to avoid spoilers, you will need to be diligent, but chances are something will be spoiled. Do what I do -- say 'Damn' and move on.

I mean, a few members change their avatars and display names after a Canadian episode airs. Kinda hard to avoid spoilers. I know it sucks, but it's the nature of the beast. 

For decades, other countries had to wait patiently for US made properties to make it to them. You just have to deal with it like they did. 

• Brohoof 3

5 hours ago, ImpctR said:

For years and seasons it's been one episode per week and people just could not make fandom, post about anything but the latest episode because it mostly happened at the same time. And it was good, balanced, since there was just enough time to think about an episode.  All of a sudden, you have these newer and newer episodes being posted and threads being made for them, and it seems, most hurrying to post and comment and forget what was in the episode before it even airs in the US.

As much as you could say 'don't watch clips, trailers, spoilers, videos, comments, fan art about new episodes before they come to Discovery Family, it happens all over. Even I learnt with a glance that

Hide contents

SG might be called by the Cutie map

at some other episode 2-3 episodes away from where we are now.. And sometimes even the episode titles are spoiling enough. I know some wanna post early but isn't it better to just make 1 episode thread / week? Last week it was 1 episode more, now I am seeing 4 episode titles in advance.

Got two options for you:

1-Go along the flow and watch the early releases

2-Get away from any trace of the internet

If you pick one, you'd save yourself from spoiler-related rage. Not want to see the early releases? Then avoid the internet. Trust me, these spoilers are next to impossible to avoid, and they are everywhere. Even a simple thumbnail can reveal a major plot point.

I respect those people's decision  to watch ponies at their own pace, but sadly the internet just do whatever the fuck it wants and will shove spoilers in your face sooner or later, specially in a fandom where we love to discuss ANYTHING as soon as it releases

• Brohoof 1

I have accidentally run into spoilers that were kind of like, "wait, that's going to happen!??" That said, I can usually avoid spoilers easily enough when I want to; if I come onto this site without being totally caught up, I simply accept that I may see something I didn't mean to while reading :)

I didn't watch the new one, mainly because I'm starting to lose interest in the show. I watched A Royal Problem, and I'm gonna be seeing Perfect Pear and Triple Threat, and I think Discordant Harmony too! But the rest of the episodes after Triple Threat seem uninteresting to me. I'll just watch them all at once later on.

On 5/22/2017 at 2:15 AM, Firedog said:

I don't know why people are calling them "Spoilers".

The US episodes and the Canadian episodes are the same.

They aren't being "leaked" by Canada. 

It is an official TV station that has a contract with DHX that is airing them.

They would have had to get permission ahead of time to do this.

No spoilers here, just episodes being released. Just saying

And they are going to keep releasing 2 episodes a week in canada. That's how they are doing it btw. You are gonna keep getting further and further behind if you only watch when Discovery Family releases them.

But that is making the season shorter

22 hours ago, FizzyGreen said:

But that is making the season shorter

Yeah, but you are exposed to spoilers and they are getting bigger yo. Not only of each subsequent episode from the show, but also from the Polish releases of the EG5 shorts, and we are on the second out of three already. Thread with care if you want a longer season, but you'll have an easier time dodging bullets in a hell shooter game rather than avoiding spoilers of this season. And I guarantee you, if you skip this season finale, YOU WILL BE SPOILED NO MATTER WHAT. You know how this fandom rub in your face every BIG thing that happens. I bet you already know the existence of ....... "someone" by now.

I respect your decision of watching the US airing, but I hope you are conscious of of the consequences 

A lot of people seem to agree with you about this.

Me personally, I don't really mind very much, seeing how avoiding spoilers hasn't been really that difficult for me.

19 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Yeah, but you are exposed to spoilers and they are getting bigger yo. Not only of each subsequent episode from the show, but also from the Polish releases of the EG5 shorts, and we are on the second out of three already. Thread with care if you want a longer season, but you'll have an easier time dodging bullets in a hell shooter game rather than avoiding spoilers of this season. And I guarantee you, if you skip this season finale, YOU WILL BE SPOILED NO MATTER WHAT. You know how this fandom rub in your face every BIG thing that happens. I bet you already know the existence of ....... "someone" by now.

I respect your decision of watching the US airing, but I hope you are conscious of of the consequences 

So far avoiding spoilers wasn't hard up until now. I am so inactive sometimes and care so little, that i don't even notice such things.

What I'm actually MOST upset about is the Spoiling of EQG early: this Saturday we're probably going to have HELLA spoilers about the finale, as the finale EQG special is probably going to take place after S7 (like the other EQG specials take place between seasons usually), so I'm betting we'll get finale spoilers from glimmer in it.

Probably not. Personally, it helps if there's a shit sounding episode, having early releases will help make things go quicker.

Honestly, at this point since they're airing the entire season much earlier, you're better off just watching them on release instead of trying to avoid all those spoilers

• Brohoof 2

51 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

What I'm actually MOST upset about is the Spoiling of EQG early: this Saturday we're probably going to have HELLA spoilers about the finale, as the finale EQG special is probably going to take place after S7 (like the other EQG specials take place between seasons usually), so I'm betting we'll get finale spoilers from glimmer in it.

Oh yeah, that's probably going to blow-up on our faces :lol: . 

The only possible thing that could bother me about all of this in the end is that this season will go by so quick because of it, but the silver lining to that is that the movie will have plenty of time for its own hype machine. That machine is going to be going nuts in the next few months. So in the end, I am not bothered by the early episodes at all. 

When asked about the early airings, Big Jim said that the early airings on Treehouse would eventually become impossible, as episodes are completed 7-8 weeks before airing, but so far this isn't holding up.