Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Petition to Make Twilight Great Again!

Firedog

Should we Make Twilight Great Again (MTGA)  

29 users have voted

1. 1. Should we Make Twilight Great Again (MTGA)

• Yes
    • No
    • I reject your reality and substitute my own

(edited)

So I saw a post about what people missed about old seasons and a ton of people mentioned Twilight.

Here is a petition to make Twilight like season 1 and 2 Twilight.

MAKE TWILIGHT GREAT AGAIN!!!

Edited by Firedog
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

As long as you don't make her an unicorn again! Besides, her personality hasn't changed. She still has freak-outs like in Earlier Seasons, she still has her friends. I can sum up my thoughts in 5 words: Stop living in the past! 

There needs to be an 3rd voting choice that says other. Because honestly, I'm both Yes AND No, but I can't simply unvote. 

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 4

She never stopped being great. She is still the same adorable character.

She just does not get as much spotlight as she did in the first couple of seasons. To make her "great again" we would have to sacrifice some other characters episodes and stories to give her more screen time. Don't get me wrong, Twilight is my favorite character, so I want her to have more episodes, but if they do it, we will be right back here with some other character not getting enough love.

• Brohoof 3

I think it is not the way she acts different, but she has learned to much and has done to much to be really interesting. Still my favourit after Discord though! ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I don't think it would be possible to go back to S2 Twilight without sacrificing all she has learned getting from there to here; one of the reasons I think Twi should actually learn to be a teacher, and take on some pupils from Celestia's school.That would allow Twi to move forward, and keep learning new things, without having to rewind.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, GrimGrimoire said:

She never stopped being great. She is still the same adorable character.

She just does not get as much spotlight as she did in the first couple of seasons. To make her "great again" we would have to sacrifice some other characters episodes and stories to give her more screen time. Don't get me wrong, Twilight is my favorite character, so I want her to have more episodes, but if they do it, we will be wright back here with some other character not getting enough love.

This.

I see the poll and there was no option for "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I like Twilight just fine as long as they keep writing her well like they have lately. 

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, Jeric said:

This.

I see the poll and there was no option for "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I like Twilight just fine as long as they keep writing her well like they have lately. 

I think Musicbox Twi was too adorable for words - and while the freakout was believable, it did sorta spoil things ("Hey Starlight, I know I keep telling you to stop using magic to try and fix things, but here I am using magic to try and micromanage your first ever friendship task from afar")

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

I don't think it would be possible to go back to S2 Twilight without sacrificing all she has learned getting from there to here; one of the reasons I think Twi should actually learn to be a teacher, and take on some pupils from Celestia's school.That would allow Twi to move forward, and keep learning new things, without having to rewind.

Like Trixie and Moondancer and Minuette? I would say yes. :twi:

Unicorn Twilight always was eager to take on new challenges and tasks. She learned and grew so much from those experiences and the feeling of seeing a character acheived so much really is rewarding. These specific moments in time really is the thing that we all seem to miss about unicorn Twilight. Alicorn Twilight was indeed a huge milestone not just for herself but for the viewers too, opening new opportunities and challenges that her old self may of never seen. Despite that, she hadn't really change much besides her official role now as Princess and the advocate of harmony. She's still that same adorkable pony, with or without wings. 

We take Twilight from the shills, the horse famous, the oppressors of discontent who have kept you down with myths of harmony, and we give her back to you, the fans.

You mean have her be a generic plot magnet with little to no character development whatsoever? No thank you. Under the very little logic provided in the main post, all of the characters are different than what they once were, but they have grown and advanced since seasons 1 and 2. In terms of those characters, I personally think those seasons haven't really aged well.

I always felt that season 4 suffered from focusing so much on Twilight adjusting to being an alicorn. She only really got the two-parters as focus episodes that season, and both of those were relatively serious and didn't let her stretch beyond the role of "princess." And her supporting roles that season almost always depicted her as something of a voice of reason, which I found really hard to relate to.  

And I guess that's the thing, here: In seasons 4-6, I almost never related to my former favourite character. In season 4, she only expressed anxiety regarding being a princess, and it was always sort of intangible and dour. Despite all her uncertainty and confusion, I'm not convinced she ever struggled, because we just never got to see much of that; again, almost all of her appearances in season 4 had her setting right someone else's mistakes, and that was alienating to me. She shows more anxiety near the end, but while the finale is much more satisfying, it comes at the expense of Twilight being dour and not showcasing her funniest traits. 

I have the same problem with seasons 5 and 6. It's part of why I'm the only person in this fandom who doesn't like "Amending Fences," and "P.P.O.V." wouldn't be nearly as objectionable if it weren't merely the worst example of a long-running trend. While "Castle Sweet Castle" does a bit more with her, it has the same problem as the S4 two-parters: Watching Twilight be sad isn't the most exciting thing for me, and I miss when I could relate to her when she wasn't moping. She has flaws in "What About Discord?" and "No Second Prances," but she's kinda annoying in both of those, and I don't feel like they offer much insight into how she's feeling or what she's thinking. 

Despite all that, I wound up picking the joke option in this poll, for two reasons. 

First, I actually feel like Twilight has gotten better over the last two seasons. In season 6, her supporting appearances were much more energetic in episodes like "The Saddle Row Review" and "The Fault in Our Cutie Marks," and since about "Top Bolt" she's suddenly been getting episodes which come much closer to what she was like in earlier seasons. I especially like "A Flurry of Emotions," which shows us her established flaws and her dorky side and offers just a little insight into the expectations she holds of herself, but she's pretty great in "A Royal Problem" as well. So I don't think we need to sign a petition to "Make Twilight Great Again," because it's already happening. 

Second, I'm worried that trying to restore some past golden age isn't best for storytelling. We can't just roll back all of her character development since becoming a princess, even if I feel that most of this character development was for the worse. I don't want to make her "like season 1-2 Twilight." Rather, I want to apply what made her work in those seasons to season 7 Twilight. Which, as I mentioned, is basically what I feel the show's doing anyway. 

If you'd asked me a year ago, I might have been more likely to pick "Yes." I'm happy that I don't feel the same way anymore.

• Brohoof 1

45 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I have the same problem with seasons 5 and 6. It's part of why I'm the only person in this fandom who doesn't like "Amending Fences,"....

Well that is no more, you have found another who does not like that episode either. That and Twilight's Kingdom are my two episodes I don't like but everyone else does. (Granted I don't actually hate any episodes just a strong disliking and I like a lot more episodes most people hate) Mine comes from more of a frustration in Moondancer though, but Twilight doesn't help either.

4 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

Well that is no more, you have found another who does not like that episode either. That and Twilight's Kingdom are my two episodes I don't like but everyone else does. (Granted I don't actually hate any episodes just a strong disliking and I like a lot more episodes most people hate) Mine comes from more of a frustration in Moondancer though, but Twilight doesn't help either.

Moondancer is more of my problem than Twilight, as well. I do like "Twilight's Kingdom" though, even if I have to be in the right mood for it. 

I can agree on Moondancer - Twi was, well, very Twi - when the blatantly obvious that she had been completely oblivious to so far was pointed out to her, she immediately jumped into trying to fix it, mostly by having Spike make lists and coming up with wildly inaccurate scenarios during an epic freakout, while Spike provides suitably sarcastic commentary. Minuet and crew point out they were used to Twi being the way she was back then, and hey, if Twi wants to be a better friend now, that's a bonus.

Then we come to Moondancer. I feel kinda sorry for Starlight, in that she had only one friend, and was devastated when he went off to Canterlot and left her behind without a second glance.  But Moondancer? she was standing at her own freaking party talking to a bunch of her other friends, and because the other local shutin (who would probably have rather been dragged over hot coals than go to a party anyhow) was a noshow, she blew off all her other friends and spent the next few years as a one-pony pity party. Cue Daybreaker and "ulgh, SO much BLACK. We get it, you're sad..."

There are some little touches here and there that I love - the line-art Twi with pointy hooves, Pinkie being Pinkie, piñatas that don't sneeze, that sort of thing - but that doesn't really make up for the fact that, excluding the Moondancer stuff, its a pretty "meh" episode, and Moondancer is a very unsympathetic character.

3 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

I can agree on Moondancer - Twi was, well, very Twi - when the blatantly obvious that she had been completely oblivious to so far was pointed out to her, she immediately jumped into trying to fix it, mostly by having Spike make lists and coming up with wildly inaccurate scenarios during an epic freakout, while Spike provides suitably sarcastic commentary. Minuet and crew point out they were used to Twi being the way she was back then, and hey, if Twi wants to be a better friend now, that's a bonus.

I'm just bothered that she learns nothing, is right from the start, and then decides to harass Moondancer into being her friend. I like Twilight's freakouts the most when she's overreacting, but only half of the episode follows through with that. We're getting off-topic, but you're spot on regarding Moondancer, and I don't even understand how she got the idea that Twilight considered her a friend. And Twilight's other old friends are just annoying. I tend to like parts of that episode when watching, but it never made sense as a whole to me. 

7 hours ago, KH7672 said:

The episodes I hate are like. *waits for episode to get good, episode finishes, still waiting* Like Princess Spike lol.

(edited)

Sadly, I think Twilight is done as a main character, she is past her prime and has no major role in the show other than to tell everyone that she's a princess and how she thinks she a priority to everyone. I think either she's jealous of what Starlight is doing or she's not used to not helping out others. Sometimes I think she's only in the show because of her name and her past success.

Twilight's the reason why the show hasn't been great lately, the show refuses to give Starlight more screen time and instead keep trying to promote Twilight for no reason and keep giving her unnecessary appearances like in Canterlot Boutique where she only had a minor speaking role. The show also refuse to get with the times and think they can get away with having the same content with different themes like the EG movies. They also keep trying to promote her in the movie as the main character, something she hasn't done since the S5 Finale which was almost two years ago. :dry:

The reason I like Starlight is that she doesn't follow Twilight's back all the time and she's the only one to stand up to Twilight rather than the Remane 5 who don't question her decisions or her leadership once or have their own ideas like in the S7 premiere. 

Until they make some major change in the show like demoting Twilight to a minor character, the show won't grow for the better in my opinion. 

On 13/07/2017 at 4:52 AM, KH7672 said:

I hated Twilight's Kingdom, I feel that ruined the show for me, why reuse something from the first two 2 premieres and change it to make it look different which was a very average finale for a very great season.

Edited by AJFan89