Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I don't Care About the Background Ponies. Is there something Wrong with Me?

FemaleIntrovert1995

Don't Care About Background Ponies  

16 users have voted

1. 1. I don't Care About Background Ponies. Is there something Wrong with Me?

• Yes...
    • What? No!
    • Maybe

No. Why would you even think that LOL 

Having no interest in something, even if it's A TOP TIER IMPORTANT thing, doesn't make you wrong. It's just your opinion.

It's a depth/focus thing.

We know a fair bit about the mane 6 because the storyline viewpoint follows them around. We know progressively less about other characters, down to background ponies that really we only have non-episode info on (which may or may not be cannon) or fan speculation.  Some people find them intriguing; perhaps they liked comic or fanfic references to them, perhaps the characters' cutie marks or actions made them stand out and made them wish they could get to know that character better.  If that isn't you, then there is nothing wrong with that.

• Brohoof 1

Not really.

I don't get why people care so much about them in the first place, when there are actual characters with canon personalities and backstories that don't get nearly as much attention.

• Brohoof 3

41 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

Not really.

I don't get why people care so much about them in the first place, when there are actual characters with canon personalities and backstories that don't get nearly as much attention.

Because the background ponies are blank slates to inject headcanon into

5 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

Because the background ponies are blank slates to inject headcanon into

At that point, people might as well just create their own OCs instead.

8 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

At that point, people might as well just create their own OCs instead.

Taking background characters from the show eliminates two processes: Character design and who they hang out with. The rest is up for the people's creative minds.

6 minutes ago, Windchime said:

Taking background characters from the show eliminates two processes: Character design and who they hang out with. The rest is up for the people's creative minds.

Seems lazier if you ask me.

1 hour ago, ooReiko said:

Never cared much for them either though they kinda got bit more fleshed out after episode 100 which kinda put them on the map for me.

How ironic that they now don't care of new background ponies nowadays :dash: .

• Brohoof 1

What makes background ponies more interesting than simply creating new characters is the degree to which the fandom has created generally agreed upon personalities and relationships for them.  They may not be truly canon, but in many cases they might as well be.  This gives creators a wider pool of characters to choose from and cuts down on exposition.  Creating good characters from scratch is hard.

Whats extremely unusual  is that those in charge of the show actually care about the fandom' side as and appreciate them (see "Slice of Life").

I suspect the background ponies are an important part of making the MLP fandom as expansive and prolific as it is today.

During my earlier times of watching this show, I wasn't particularly fond of background ponies and was even a bit annoyed at fan interpretations. I usually mostly get involved with canon established characters, names, and personalities. I'm ok with fanarts or fanfics involving these bg ponies, but I refused to see them as characters with established personalities until canon says otherwise.

Over time though, I've actually grown to appreciate the background characters a bit more especially when it comes down to analyzing the episodes. Although it might be because some of these bg characters have become accepted into canon as the seasons go by.

• Brohoof 1

Well... Background ponies are just background ponies. They're just there, besides some episodes giving them some dialogue and character.

I'm fine with BG ponies as long as if Hasbro don't start making them like fan interpretations. 

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

During my earlier times of watching this show, I wasn't particularly fond of background ponies and was even a bit annoyed at fan interpretations. I usually mostly get involved with canon established characters, names, and personalities. I'm ok with fanarts or fanfics involving these bg ponies, but I refused to see them as characters with established personalities until canon says otherwise.

Over time though, I've actually grown to appreciate the background characters a bit more especially when it comes down to analyzing the episodes. Although it might be because some of these bg characters have become accepted into canon as the seasons go by.

So did I. It was a hassle starting reading fics and using BG ponies and I was in the dark who are they in the first place :lol: . I mostly accept them when they are shown in-canon, like acknowledging Minuette's being a former bride maid for Cadance