Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Happened to all the Slapstick in MLP?

Azureth

1 minute ago, Mirage77 said:

But...I don't wanna grow up. I want Pinkie Pie!

There will always still be pinkie pie. She will just be more creative in how she does what pinkie does. 

• Brohoof 1

In my view, I don't mind if there's slapstick or not on a basic level as long as the show is good. I have to say, though I'm not against slapstick in general, the lessening of it has allowed the show to grow and evolve, it can tell better and more serious stories carefully, and the humour needs more consideration and thought to work, at least half the time in the good episodes anyway. Like I said, It's not that I hate slapstick, It's just I think It's a kind of basic and bland way to put humour in, however funny it may be and there are more creative and interesting ways to write than that, I'm glad the show is exploring those ways and experimenting with different comedy compared to the old approach.

Also who really wants to see pony abuse that badly huh? That's what places like DeviantArt and Tumblr are for ;)

Edited by OmegaBeamOfficial
  • Brohoof 2

It's not just slapstick. There are less visual gags in general as the show moves towards more situational humor. It's to be expected. As the show's target audience matures, teh show matures along with them. I do miss the over-the-top slapstick, and other silly humor, but for better or for worse, the show is evolving and I'm not sure it would feel the same if the show went back to that old formula.

Cheers.

• Brohoof 1

On 7/29/2017 at 4:03 PM, Mirage77 said:

Yes - we always have Rarity...

That video must have been produced from the earlier seasons - it's missing the funniest Rarity moment of all - her "nom nom nommimg" on ice cream in "Inspiration Manifestation." :lol:

As for a lack of slapstick, I wouldn't say it's gone away completely but has been modulated for an older audience. Case in point - Fluttershy covered in insects in "Every Little Thing She Does." That's a very funny moment in that episode, even if what Starlight did to her wasn't itself funny.

• Brohoof 2

On 3/8/2017 at 11:30 AM, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

Also who really wants to see pony abuse that badly huh? That's what places like DeviantArt and Tumblr are for 

Even the wildest grimdark cannot sastisfy me than seeing ponies being abuse on the SHOW :ph34r: It like dreams become reality... What the hell am i talking about...?:muffins:

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

Even the wildest grimdark cannot sastisfy me than seeing ponies being abuse on the SHOW :ph34r: It like dreams become reality... What the hell am i talking about...?:muffins:

Well, I was only sarcastically poking fun, in reality I don't have any problem if you like that kind of thing. Besides, sometimes pony abuse in the show can be funny if the character in question actually deserves it.

On 7/29/2017 at 6:50 AM, CypherHoof said:

I think it still works for Pinkie though, because, well, Pinkie...

She is still over the top at times - Rock Solid being the most recent blatant example of course, but almost ANY scene with Pinkie in it has the potential of being a "wait, what?" moment - from her vacuum cleaner in Celestial Advice to the general acceptance that "well, it's Pinkie" is a perfectly valid excuse for ignoring the fourth wall, continuity, physics, and so forth.

Not really slapstick though.

On 7/29/2017 at 1:00 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

I do miss the slapstick. Anvils falling on Twilight or RD slamming into mountains. The characters haveprogressed and matured, so now, sadly, no one can imagine an anvil hitting PRINCESS Twilight in the head, or Wonderbolt Rainbow Dash pulling slapstick on Applejack, like in Fall Weather friends. And Dr Wolf is right- we asked for this. WE asked for their character progression and development, so we only have ourselves to blame that slapstick and comedy has been toned don to the point where it is almost nonexistant in the show.

Most of the so-called progression and development was just making characters more boring. Fluttershy became a generic shy character in later seasons, she lost the hidden burning passion she had in the first season. 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Truffles said:

That video must have been produced from the earlier seasons - it's missing the funniest Rarity moment of all - her "nom nom nommimg" on ice cream in "Inspiration Manifestation." :lol:

I agree - I just watched that episode yesterday and that was definitely hilarious - good thing too because that episode took Rarity into a rather dark realm.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Ganondox said:

Most of the so-called progression and development was just making characters more boring. Fluttershy became a generic shy character in later seasons, she lost the hidden burning passion she had in the first season. 

Finally, someone said it. For some reason, "character progression" has often watered down characters' quirks and caused them to have fewer flaws and insecurities which we could relate to. I don't see why a lighthearted prank from Rainbow or a little slapstick towards Twilight would be so out of place nowadays - they've matured, but that doesn't mean they have to be perfect. 

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Finally, someone said it. For some reason, "character progression" has often watered down characters' quirks and caused them to have fewer flaws and insecurities which we could relate to. I don't see why a lighthearted prank from Rainbow or a little slapstick towards Twilight would be so out of place nowadays - they've matured, but that doesn't mean they have to be perfect. 

Like real people when they're mature and have a job? I have one of my friend as example ;) They are no perfect but their weaknesses are hidden well to fit in their society. 

7 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Oh, I dunno. How about the pizza scene with Derpy?

Abuse disabled pony, 2/10 ;) Derped pony matter.

6 hours ago, Mirage77 said:

I agree - I just watched that episode yesterday and that was definitely hilarious - good thing too because that episode took Rarity into a rather dark realm.

It always fun to see characters become insane, fuel for great darkfic writers.

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, Lambdadelta said:

Like real people when they're mature and have a job? I have one of my friend as example ;) They are no perfect but their weaknesses are hidden well to fit in their society. 

I'm sure your friend still has insecurities and flaws; in MLP's case, hiding them from the audience doesn't make for super compelling television. 

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I'm sure your friend still has insecurities and flaws; in MLP's case, hiding them from the audience doesn't make for super compelling television. 

Of course, i know that, just saying ;) I love flawed characters, even the most despicable one, like Zephyr Breeze, people hates Flutter Brutter for that guys alone. People ask for this, they want more Sunset, less Starlight, not totally true nowaday but during S6, it hard to be a Starlight fan. Why people dont like Spike ep in general anyway (beside some obvious bad episodes like Spike at your service)? 

Writer need to get goods and viewers should be less judgemental, we get good episodes.

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

There is a big difference between learning self-control, and reducing a multi-faceted original character into a flat one. 

• Brohoof 1

All shows get more serious as they age. It's a natural process as they draw nearer to the climax of the story. Personalities change as characters gain experience and grow more aware of the suffering in the world, or experience suffering themselves. Enemies become stronger as the slowly wipe out the weaker enemies. Characters grow weary because of their struggles. It's really all just a part of the show growing up with it's audience. 

16 hours ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Just want ed to point out we got some classic Twilight slapstick in the most recent episode, so maybe the writers are paying closer attention then we think.

Spoiler episode

Spoiler

In episode 14 there is slapstick again, like when AJ throws the door in Twilights face.

• Brohoof 1

So I am still in season 3 but I can say that I view this in a similar light to many here. Not only do the characters grow with the original fan base but the maturation of the series will draw more neigh-sayers in to enjoy the show. (sorry, the pun was too fun/easy or feasy?) Any how the show growing is not an issue and honestly, it makes the occasional slapstick have more punch. What I think is happening now is that the show is likely in that odd place of growth where its sort of like a teenager meaning making fun of people/characters right now would be out of place but as it settles it will have room for both mature and well-developed characters and the occasional prat fall. 

Edited by Jedishy
  • Brohoof 1