Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was the worse thing about Season 6?

heavens-champion

The terribly anticlimatic conclusion of Rd's story arc lasted SIX. FUCKING. YEARS., the general portrayal of the big sisters in the cart episode and the trashy treatment the Mane 6 got for the sake of the story in the S6 finale.

Season 6 had a lot of issues, I would agree that Rainbow Dash's conclusion to her story arch was...well pathetic. But my biggest issue was the constant rollercoster of ups and downs, in season 5, I thought generally every episode was good except for a few exceptions, namely What About Discord and Princess Spike, but every other episode I thought was pretty enjoyable. Seasons 6 had a weird order of good vs meh

Overall, I enjoyed season 6, but damn, compare to the rest of the seasons, it's not much. Season 7 has been so far ahead it's not even funny.

Two Rainbow Dash episodes. Newbie was a huge let down for many of her fans and for those that wanted to moment to be special. 28 Pranks Later was my least favorite episode of the season. 

I personally loved everything in the finale so I can't complain there. 

• Brohoof 1

20 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Two Rainbow Dash episodes. Newbie was a huge let down for many of her fans and for those that wanted to moment to be special. 

And there you have to give the "kudos" to Josh Haber for the brightest idea ever lf giving such an important episode to a random weirdo who never wrote anything in his entire life before. I couldn't think a better idea to write a conclusion of a six years long story arc. *SARCASM*

...... and people ask why I reserve so much grudge toward Josh Haber...

The fact that there was an overwhelming amount of Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and at the last minute, Applejack. Episodes include Applejack's Day Off, The Cart Before the Ponies, and 28 Pranks Later.

I only want to see less than three episodes for each of all of them in Season 8, as I think they're all out of potentials.

10 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

I only want to see less than three episodes for each of all of them in Season 8, as I think they're all out of potentials.

Only a weak writer would ever concede there is such a limit. The directions one can take any given character have are limited only by talent and imagination. 

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

The fact that there was an overwhelming amount of Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and at the last minute, Applejack. Episodes include Applejack's Day Off, The Cart Before the Ponies, and 28 Pranks Later.

The quantity of them in the season isn't the problem, but the quality instead. Most of their appearances in S6 were mediocre at best and crap at worst.

22 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

For me, it's the possibility that I would have to skip it just to get to Season 7 due to how underwhelming The Cystalling and several other episodes are.

Season 6 did a lot of things wrong. Its biggest failure is how much potential it wasted. For example, the CMC were just given an entirely new arc that could easily give them a multitude of episodes to flesh out, yet the writers only give them two (and one that was irrelevant to this arc). If I were to pick a season where the CMC get less episodes than normal, it wouldn't be season 6. Furthermore, the entire Glimmer idea wasn't used to its fullest potential, a character who believes cutie marks are terrible would have great synergy with the group of characters who's life mission is to help people find their cutie mark, yet the CMC/Glimmer never interact. Mean while, Thorax doesn't receive nearly enough development before the finale, there really should have been an additional episode to flesh his character out.

The other biggest problem with season 6 would be how poorly it utilized the mane 6 as they were easily the worst part of the season. Episodes like Applejack's Day Off, Carts Before the Ponies, 28 Pranks Later, and Newbie Dash really damage the mane 6's characterizations for one consistent reason; they turn the mane 6 into idiots or jerks for the sake of the plot, carts being the worst example of this. Mean while, the mane 6 really didn't get any stellar episodes and at best I can describe their episodes this season as mediocre.

On the bright side, season 6 did supporting characters a lot better. Spike had some great episodes, and despite some of the wasted potential with Glimmer and the CMC, their episodes were for the most part great (the two episodes for the CMC that focus on the CMC's arc that is).

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

The quantity of them in the season isn't the problem, but the quality instead. Most of their appearances in S6 were mediocre at best and crap at worst.

Well then, they can each have no more than two best-quality episodes (at least according to the writers) and that's it, within Season 8.

Edited by FirePuppy

S6 was being spitting at for months, it is a bunching bag, closely become a broken doll now, beating the dead horse is fun right? 

The worst thing S6 has ever done to me is how underutilized Starlight in that season, they reformed her and make her a mane character but though out the season, she only appeared if the plot said so, her interactions with the mane 6 beside Twilight are so thin that sometime i question myself why reform her anyway. 

TWABA is the great turning point of Starlight Glimmer, this is where Glimmer arises, many people I knew started to like her after that finale, this is the best thing about S6.

36 minutes ago, Lambdadelta said:

S6 was being spitting at for months, it is a bunching bag, closely become a broken doll now, beating the dead horse is fun right? 

In some cases, yes. But it's not much dead-horse beating since it's only been months since Season 6. Complaining about Mysterious Mare-Do-Well to this very day, on the other hand...

Edited by heavens-champion
  • Brohoof 1

I really think season 6 gets more hate than it deserves. I personally liked it a lot more than the more popular seasons before and after it, and I think its two-partners are vastly underrated. There's a lot of gems there, and I don't think you should skip it. 

I do think it could have done a few things better, though. "Newbie Dash" really should have been tightened up, and some of the season's flimsier episodes ("Cart Before the Ponies") should have been done away with. I think my biggest general frustration was with Twilight, who kept getting relegated to a mentor role, which I found incredibly boring. I'd be even more favourable to season 6 if it treated Twilight like season 7 has so far. Otherwise, my complaints were largely minor, though as with all of the last three seasons, they built up over time - just much less so in this case. 

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of characters had a real rough season during S6, but some of the bullshit RD was put through really sours it for me, it made it feel like some of the writers were out to get her. Newbie Dash was an episode a lot of people were waiting for since the show started and it gets virtually everything wrong, instead of being her big moment and showing us RD at her best(ala Rarity in Canterlot Boutique, CMC in CotLM, or heck even Twilight in MMC, at least that one felt like they cared), the episode spends it's entire time treating her like garbage, and honestly just comes off as the writers laughing at you for giving a damn about it, It's an episode I still haven't been able to get over(and I say that knowing full well that it's not healthy to be this upset over a damn cartoon episode) I'm still kinda insulted that someone looked at it and thought "yup, this is a keeper!". And the fact that they shit out 28 Pranks Later, an episode that redoes the MMDW, and manages to make everything worse, really at that point it just comes off as the writers being dicks

goddamn I'm really sick about ranting about those two episodes

But yeah, above all else, S6 was a real roller coaster, and not in a good way

Edited by Whompy Whomperson

1 hour ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

A lot of characters had a real rough season during S6, but some of the bullshit RD was put through really sours it for me, it made it feel like some of the writers were out to get her. Newbie Dash was an episode a lot of people were waiting for since the show started and it gets virtually everything wrong, instead of being her big moment and showing us RD at her best(ala Rarity in Canterlot Boutique, CMC in CotLM, or heck even Twilight in MMC, at least that one felt like they cared), the episode spends it's entire time treating her like garbage, and honestly just comes off as the writers laughing at you for giving a damn about it, It's an episode I still haven't been able to get over(and I say that knowing full well that it's not healthy to be this upset over a damn cartoon episode) I'm still kinda insulted that someone looked at it and thought "yup, this is a keeper!". And the fact that they shit out 28 Pranks Later, an episode that redoes the MMDW, and manages to make everything worse, really at that point it just comes off as the writers being dicks

goddamn I'm really sick about ranting about those two episodes

I blame the fact that they were written by new writers that had no idea what they were doing.

• Brohoof 1

It's kinda funny. The season 6 finale is my favorite episode of the entire series (beating out previous fav, The Crystal Empire), yet the season as a whole ranks towards the bottom. It's a shame; really. Spike had his best grouping of episodes in season 6, Starlight got a few solid outings, and there were generally some great episodes.

For me; the season as a whole was just underwhelming and not very memorable. Spike and the finale aside; there was nothing there that really grabbed me and said "I am season 6; this is why you should watch me." Along with the great and bad; most of them just felt by-the-numbers...and that's not a great thing.

• Brohoof 3

16 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

most of them just felt by-the-numbers...and that's not a great thing.

Yeah this an issue I noticed halfway through the season, there were lots of episodes that felt really tropey, and lots of episodes heavily relied on dumb gimmicks rather than good storytelling 

• Brohoof 2

On 10/4/2017 at 10:19 PM, Kiryu-Chan said:

No kidding. One episode gets big ratings, and the episode after that gets slightly lower ratings, and the episode after that gets slightly higher ratings.