Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would it be smart to not hope for anything?

FlareGun45

It just seems that when I hope or predict something on the show, half the time it doesn't happen, and I end up disappointed. I'm sure some of us can relate. I mean, I get upset when Spike gets neglected, and other people would be upset is Derpy doesn't appear at all in a season. We all have our wants and needs for the show.

How about we just got rid of that? If we stop hoping for something we want to happen on the show, we probably won't end up disappointed if what we want doesn't happen! We can just enjoy the show and just not thinking about anything! What do ya think, brahs?

No matter what, we win! :D

• Brohoof 5

You know, I can get behind this. This is actually a strategy I have been using all season. If you go into an episode with no major expectations, then it is more difficult for the episode to be disappointing if so and so doesn't happen. The episode could still be not good, but it won't have the sting of disappointment layered onto it. I find it best to give every episode its own clean slate and not expect anything specific.

• Brohoof 4

That's how I've always done it. In fact this is the first season I've actually watched the teasers and gotten deep into discussions. Even still it's just watching it to know what I can look foward too and then...welp back to my life as I wait for Saturday. No need for expectations when the only thing I expect is be entertained by an episode (or two). Never failed me yet!:twi:

I have the most fun in the fandom speculating what COULD be or what I want to see, but you can't invest your entire being into some vision that is not yours to decide and come out the better for it. But, well. Everyone has a different capacity for balancing interest and speculation with the simple entertainment factor. Myself, I don't want to come to a brony community if I'm not going to be speculating on the creative future of the show in some way.

I almost totally avoid watching previews for upcoming episodes, though, especially the more interested I am in the premise. It's a million times better viewing experience when you aren't overthinking the events of the near future.

If you expect something good and get something bad, you will be disappointed.

And if you expect something good and get something good, you will have only gotten what you expected.

Meanwhile...

If you expect something bad and get something bad, you will have gotten what you expected.

Or if you expect something bad and get something good, you will be pleasantly surprised.

So if you never expect anything, you will never be disappointed.

• Brohoof 1

I can hope for things. I don't think you have to go through life not having any expectations or allowing yourself to feel hopeful just to avoid feeling disappointment. That might even just cause you to end up feeling detached if you keep yourself too emotionally distant.

Mainly I think it's how you handle disappointment. Understand the how and whys you feel that way, come to terms with those feelings, and move on. The second part is probably the hardest since that's going to be up to personal preferences and feelings, and sometimes feelings take a while before getting normalized. But they can.

• Brohoof 2

At face value I often try and push the whole philosophy of not basing too much of your enjoyment on one character or element of the show, and recently pushed that very concept in a related thread  ... HOWEVER ... Perfect Pear almost makes me a hypocrite. You see, I was so apprehensive about that story that I set myself of for expecting them to fail a little with that episode. After years of telling other Bronies not to get too hung up over a headcanon or something specific, I found myself doing just that with the Apples. In the end that episode turned out to be my favorite. I could have saved myself of grief if I just heeded my own advice. 

You should try to manage your expectations, but you shouldn't expect things to be bad from go too often, as they is some enjoyment to be had in positively anticipating something. 

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes it doesn’t live up to your expectations other times it’s better than I imagined LOL really depends on the episode and certain clichés etc. usually my little pony doesn’t disappoint but yes I’ve had my moments but yes there will be certain episodes you’ll like more than others based on personal preference 

Just try to amuse yourself. I always go open minded into an episode and try to enjoy myself with what I see and not what I want. :orly: I would like if Discord got a larger role in the show, but I know he will just be a secundary character for this show. 

• 4 years later...

It’s kinda nice that we got so much good development of characters in the end. But I also felt this while the show was in progress. Season 3 was definitely difficult for me, and I was let down so many times.

• Brohoof 1