Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

g2 (friendship gardens) How Would A Generation Two Series Have Been Done?

Denim&Venöm

Not to be confused with MLP: Tales, which could be considered G1.5, MLP G2 took place between 1997 and 1998 worldwide, and then continued on in Europe until 2003. Apparently, the reason the toy line was so short lived was becasue it tanked in North America but was a hit overseas. 

G2 never got it's own animated show. Only the video game Friendship Gardens, released on PC.  But what if it did? What if in '97 or '98, G2 was successful enough to have a show to promote it further? Given the time, how would it have been done? Would it be SoL in a modern setting, like tales? Fantasy and adventure like G1? A more Fantasy/SoL combo like in G3? Would it dare to be character driven like G4? Or a completely different route like a comedy theme with Johnny Bravo or Dexter's lab, super hero styled like dark wing duck or gargoyles or Sonic SatAm or maybe a set of variety style skits like Animaniacs, House of Mouse or Tiny Toons? Or how would you have done it? 

Also, who would you have liked to have seen voice characters in the show and be the creative lead at the helm? 

Also, a previous discussion on G2 for some insight:

And a G2 play through as well. 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 1

Well, as far as I've been able to tell the only 'media' for G2 was that video game. No comics, picture books, etc. At least, none are showing up on the various MLP wiki's that I've checked. Since everything for G2 only showed up in Europe (and South America for some reason), it's possible there *were* comics and the like and the wiki's just have a blind-spot for it, but given how detailed those are I doubt it. So that cuts of the major source of info to use as speculation.

Which only really leaves the toys, especially the playsets which give a vague idea as to the larger setting. From what I can see the playsets were trending towards a late period-style royal court. Gardens, Ballrooms, Throne Rooms, Parlors, etc. with an out sized number of ponies with titles like 'Lady', 'Princess', and even some 'Princes'.

Honestly, what would have been produced would likely have been just like G3, but with different ponies. However, what I would have *liked* to have seen is comedy adventure in a pseudo-Edwardian setting. Things in the mold of P.G.Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster, or Agatha Christie's Tommy and Tuppence. Just to provide something completely different.

• Brohoof 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That'd be rather hard, due to the low success of G2 in these parts. But I can guess making a slice of life between some horse farmers, Megan possibly among them, raising some of those ponies until they're ready to go to the ...... rainbow land or whatever like in the game :huh: 

• Brohoof 1