Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you could make large scale fics

Plonkett

I'm sure many of you (including myself) often fantasize making fics with dozens of chapters and thousands of words in each. If you could make such fics what would they be like? Fics of that caliber by me would include humor, emotion, grimdark, romance, sauce, sex, action, adventure, suspense, mystery, political intrigue, conspiracy, war, sci-fi and/or horror elements, etc. Each fanfic wouldn't have literally every single thing I mentioned, but they would still be very varied.

Edited by vgmaster9
  • Brohoof 4

It's not as difficult as it sounds. An exercise many writers do is to retell a story someone else had already told, but in your own way. Make an outline of scenes and goals for a set of characters to achieve and fill it in with whatever suites the story. If you want to get a lot of milage out of your story and still keep it interesting for your reader, then emulating some of your favorite stories in your own words is a pretty good way of getting used to burning that keyboard out on a single chapter.

Another thing you could try as an exercise would be to watch an episode of FiM, (or which ever show you like, really,) and try writing your own scene-by-scene screenplay for it- or even novelize it. It's a good place to start. I bet you couldn't make a cohesive translation of any episode of FiM without having it break the 5,000 word barrier- and that's not even that long! 

Edited by Guest

Honestly; I've always wanted to do some sort of adventure and archeology-themed story; especially now with my ideas revolving around a lost and ancient kingdom of deer. I would love to involve all of my characters and just to something fun.

Never got around to it. XD

• Brohoof 3

I've always wanted to do an action-adventure sort of story, revolving around my OC's, Proud Ametrine's, struggle against her evil mother's plans as well as come to terms with her own morality.  The main problem, however, is I don't really have a contiguous story in mind, and the antagonist, Carnelian Clout, is a lot more developed, and dare I say even more sympathetic, than Ametrine.

1 hour ago, PathfinderCS said:

Honestly; I've always wanted to do some sort of adventure and archeology-themed story; especially now with my ideas revolving around a lost and ancient kingdom of deer. I would love to involve all of my characters and just to something fun.

Hey, I got a similar idea for the background of one of my OC too who is some kind of archaeologist :D And deers. You got my atention !

I'm mostly a world builder and fic planer: I can spend days on writing what characters and what universe a story will have, but I'm not pratical with writhing one. I love adventure, maybe with some dark fantasy elements, or even into Fallout Equestria fandom side, but by now I'm in a sci-fi mood and I've write down some elements for a project that involves a story set into space, with space riders, mad AI, the Equestrian Interplanetary Union and a quest for finding a old relic from the Solar Wars (no killzone reference).

If someone want a glimpse, or just helping me with developing this AU idea, just send me a note.

• Brohoof 1

Six hundred billion word story about Lucartini and Rainbow Dash falling in love and having foals. Then the story focuses on the next generation, and the next generation, and the next and the next with more characters each time.

It would be so long, every school in the world would be forced to talk about it and cover it. War and Peace? Fallout Equestria? No, it's all about Pokemon: Victory and Friendship: The Novel!

I would like mainly of epic adventures, treating deep themes of psychological exploration, loss, depression, and the ways to overcome them. I'd like to make it some years after FIN's end, with Mane6 children and all, with a scrapped villain, mainly inspired by Fire Emblem Awakening. Then, the human world in the past, most likely with the human selves of the legendary ponies, taking lots of inspiration from Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War. Then, a Last of Us inspired fic in present human world. Then going to a new world inspired mainly in the Fire Emblem Tellius series. Then one inspired by Shadows of Valentia. Maybe on spin off inspired by the original Final Fantasy, and finally crossover all that in a science fiction and fantasy setting, partly inspired by Kid Icarus Uprising AND the Metal Gear series

3 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

One piece of advice I could give is that don't call them just deer, but "Stags", to separate them from the normal deer that we see in the show.

I actually a series that I have been thinking of lately.

It would be a crossover fic between The Legend of Korra and My Little Pony/Equestria Girls.

But it would have the elements of the two universes be combined into creating its own.

Instead of benders and nonbenders there would be humans who are capable of using Equestrian magic, such as pegasus who can fly, unicorns who can use spells, and earth ponies who have increased strength and endurance, as well as those who don't have Equestrian magic.  Using this magic would also involve the humans going through the Equestria Girls transformations.

Twilight would play the role of Korra as the newest alicorn (savior, avatar like figure who is capable of using all 3 types of Equestrian magic), Flash Sentry would play a similar role of Mako, and would become a pegasus Canterlot police force (Republic city metalbender police) member, Sunset Shimmer would play a similar role to Asami, but would be an orphan and her brother Sunburst would be an equalist, but would still take over the family company, and bee involved in a love triangle with Twilight and Flash Sentry, only to end up in a relationship with Twilght by the end of the story.  Spike would play the role of Bolin, but would be Twilight's adopted little brother.

Arc one would involve an Equalist revolution involving Tirek taking away people's magic, as well as his brother Scorpan trying to take him down in a similar manner to the Tarrlock Amon conflict from Korra. Twilight would go from not wanting anything to deal with friendship or social interaction such as how she was in season one episode one to being able to rely upon others.

Arc 2 would be a Crystal Empire civil war between Shining Armor and Shadowlock

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

They would mostly involve alternate universes and such. One of them the following for the elements of harmony, which are different in this AU.

Sunset: Knowledge. Starlight: Charity. Love: Chrysalis. Power: Tirek. Trust: Zecora. Protection: Sunbust

In this universe, Nightmare Moon is the ruler of equestria, although she has a personality similar to canon Celestia.

I've already made a short fic about a corrupted Celestia.

I'm working on one of these at the moment. I haven't published the first few chapters online, but the end product is supposed to be at least a few dozen chapters based on what I have outlined. A Bear Grylls-esque survival expert (who usually films his adventures for a TV show) whose plane crashes on the way to film an episode in Alaska wakes up in the Everfree Forest. Has he died and been reborn in some other universe? Or is all of this just a dream while he lies in a coma? Or is something else going on? I'm not telling. ;)

Oh, and I've got plenty of ideas for similar but unrelated long stories. Like an alternate universe fic that turns the show's pilot into a long fantasy epic. Another one takes place sometime in the future. A group of 5 OC ponies + a hardly-aged Twilight must learn to become the next generation bearers of the Elements of Harmony. This one has the potential to be very long, as it essentially represents what a sequel series to MLP FiM would be like. And finally, I plan to write an "autobiographical" story from Trixie's POV that depicts my very detailed head canon backstory for her.

Edited by Prospekt

(edited)

A few examples of what I'd write would be when Equestria is invaded by aliens who want to conquer them, and the ponies and other Equestrian forces have to fend against them.

Another fic would be when the Mane 6 are trapped in the real human world and have no choice but to adapt, but things get hairy later on.

Another would be about the Mane 6 (along with Spike and Starlight Glimmer) travelling across space aboard a Spelljammer style ship.

Edited by vgmaster9

17 hours ago, vgmaster9 said:

One piece of advice I could give is that don't call them just deer, but "Stags", to separate them from the normal deer that we see in the show.

I would prefer to avoid that; especially as the IDW comics referred to them as deer, and stags refer to male deer specifically.

I'm writing one that focuses on most of the things here and there: action, sci-fi, horror, a little bit of crime fiction, adventure, war (focused on giant kaiju). Though, action-adventure is most certainly one of the main points in my story.

Did I just list all of the genres in my fiction?

(edited)
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:33 AM, Dawn Darkness said:

I'm writing one that focuses on most of the things here and there: action, sci-fi, horror, a little bit of crime fiction, adventure, war (focused on giant kaiju). Though, action-adventure is most certainly one of the main points in my story.

Did I just list all of the genres in my fiction?

Nope! There's also romance, thriller, mystery (unless you'd also label it as crime fiction), comedy, and drama. I'd also say fantasy, but MLP is a fantasy show in itself. You can also add stuff like gore, sex, grimdark, and even slice of life scenes if you want to.

Edited by vgmaster9

I've been tooling around with one that would just feature a year with the Wonderbolts. One chapter for every day of the year. It wouldn't be all excitement and adventure, but there'd inevitably be some. It'd be more of just one big beautiful slice of life.

5 minutes ago, BlueStreak98 said:

I've been tooling around with one that would just feature a year with the Wonderbolts. One chapter for every day of the year. It wouldn't be all excitement and adventure, but there'd inevitably be some. It'd be more of just one big beautiful slice of life.

Even with slice of life, you can have all the stuff like humor, emotion, romance, etc.

• Brohoof 1

On 10/19/2017 at 1:47 PM, vgmaster9 said:

I'm sure many of you (including myself) often fantasize making fics with dozens of chapters and thousands of words in each. If you could make such fics what would they be like? Fics of that caliber by me would include humor, emotion, grimdark, romance, sauce, sex, action, adventure, suspense, mystery, political intrigue, conspiracy, war, sci-fi and/or horror elements, etc. Each fanfic wouldn't have literally every single thing I mentioned, but they would still be very varied.

I've already written several manuscripts that are between 70 and 100 thousand words. The trick is to write out chapters beats first and hit 1000-2000 words per day. You'll hit that goal fairly quickly. Would I ever create a novel sized Pony fic? Some day perhaps. I don't particularly enjoy playing in another person's sandbox for that long, but for a story constructed around a well written group of original characters, certainly. 

I would also edit it like a real novel and hire a structural editor, a line editor, and maybe a copywriter. No offense fanfic writers, but most of you don't know the appropriate process or the stages a story should go through in editing. 

Writing is revision. 

On 10/20/2017 at 11:17 AM, PathfinderCS said:

I would prefer to avoid that; especially as the IDW comics referred to them as deer, and stags refer to male deer specifically.

Personally, I'd try to write them more like Blackthorn ( :) ) and less like Aspen ( :okiedokieloki: ).

And on an unrelated note, if you absolutely can't avoid the tendency to have Princesses incapacitated, then at least make it non-Worfy (like the "Elsa vs. soldiers" scene from Frozen -- sure, the soldiers won, but it was close and desperate as hell)... or better yet, just leave them out altogether.

Edited by The Artist Formerly Known As A.V.

• 6 months later...

I don't know i could write anything however i would enjoy making an adventure crossover fic because there's so much potential I might consider making some fics with original characters lthiugh the only reason why I don't pursue writing fanfics is for a few reasons 

Firstly I just don't have time I would to sit down and write a fic filled with lore but university keeps me busy and I don't want to leave a fic half done and forgotten for years like some creators do bexause i know the pain of getting attached to a good fic forgotten in time 

2.Because I need to improve my abilities to create a fic that attracts readers because there are a lot of people who like different thimgs and may get turned off by certain aspects of the fic such as the main character turning into a pony or staying human vice versa