Essence

What Are Your Thoughts on Steampunk?

(edited)

I have been submerged in my love for medieval fantasy (with a touch of romance) for years, and I have always wanted to get into Steampunk as well, but I guess I just never got around to it. So... what are your thoughts on this genre?

Also, what was/is your favorite childhood book series? (Mine was/is the Warriors series by Erin Hunter.)

Edited by appleshake1234

9 minutes ago, appleshake1234 said:

I have been submerged in my love for medieval fantasy (with a touch of romance) for years, and I have always wanted to get into Steampunk as well, but I guess I just never got around to it. So... what are your thoughts on this genre?

Also, what was/is your favorite childhood book series? (Mine was/is the Warriors series by Erin Hunter.)

I don’t know, ‘tis not my fave, but it’s kinda cool as a mix of science fiction and fantasy. 

Badges

I adore the Steampunk aesthetic. I have surrounded myself in the genre for years along with diesalpunk, decopunk, atompunk and cyberprep.

Badges

I think it's Alright.I'm not a huge fan of steampunk but it does seem very interesting.

I just discovered steam powered giraffe so I might be getting more into it

Badges

It’s really buckin’ cool in my opinion 

I like it as long as it is realistic in the sense that you would truly believe the technology would work. I love design, and if it doesn't serve a purpose, it isn't really cutting it for me.

Steampunk is pretty cool and makes for an imaginative setting. It's fun to see some of the imaginary tech people come up with.   

Steampunk is really cool I haven't got into too deep but ive seen some cool stuff at a con.

I have those goggles u wear and that. I wanted to make a boat that was steampunk or somethin

Badges

Anything that resembles something that would actually work, is cool. But just random stuff put together to look cool is boring to me.

5 hours ago, Splashee said:

Anything that resembles something that would actually work, is cool. But just random stuff put together to look cool is boring to me.

This. Steam engines are cool, mechanical devices as well, but they need to be at least somewhat believable, otherwise it just looks fake.

Badges

15 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

I barely even know what it is :mlp_please:

FNAF is like 1% steampunk so I believe you.

Basically, trying to make a technological society with just steam engines and brass pipes. Add some bricks, and you have a 19th century industrial architecture looking world, but fully functional, modern or even futuristic ideas like flying cars and space vehicles. Everything runs on steam! And it is punk! Steampunk!

The whole point is, it looks cool and stylish. But most things are just added together to make it look like it works. It needs to look convincing for me to take an interest in it.

Is steampunk confined to external combustion?

Because if we're just concerned with water-based pressure cycles, technically Air-Independent Powerplants qualify, as do Sterling engines. And that means some kinds of modern submarines are "Steampunk".

9c85e4806dab583e9e049e178237e25d.jpg

Really though, I think there is a lot of elegance in purely mechanical solutions to technical problems, and that is the purer heart of what steampunk yearns for.

Love it when it's done right! Honestly just a bit tired of seeing random gears slapped on a top hat and call it a day. It feels repetitive. 

I'm more of a medieval fan though. 

I tend to be picky about it.

I'm a huge Steampunk fan, I definitely love it when it's mixed with a bit of magic. 

Especially airships and trains, they really add to world building. 

I'm afraid it's not a particularly appealing aesthetic to me. To me, technology looks much cooler when it is sleek and clean. It's odd because I love the aesthetic of Europe pre-19th century.

I've never cared for steampunk. The only "-punk" aesthetic I think is cool is dieselpunk.