Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Deal between Paramount and Hasbro

Ashen Pathfinder

So, it looks like Paramount and Hasbro have a deal in regards to producing and advertising Hasbro-related content. Perhaps even a MLP sequel in the future? Can only hope!

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/11/hasbro-and-paramount-strike-5-year-film.html

• Brohoof 2

Paramount has it's issues as well, but they take film distribution and marketing far more seriously than Lionsgate, and have a better relationship with exhibitors, so should they move forward with a MLP sequel, I suspect all the distribution and marketing mistakes made with the first film won't be repeated. Paramount also has a more general understanding of fan based cultures, are least it did ...before the dark times ... more on that in a second. 

Now for the bad news. Paramount is known for significant interference with the production of a film, even as a basic distributor. It isn't really Paramount itself, but ... 

paramountpictures.jpg

Viacom. Yikes. 

Hasbro just signed a deal with the one company that will take an active role in all sorts of fuckery. They consider fair use piracy. There have been no rumblings in Trades of this deal, which leads me to believe that Hasbro may have bolted for familiar waters following internal breaches and leaks. Paramount and Viacom run a tight ship in that respect. This also smacks of a corrective response to set up a go-forward plan for investors. My thoughts are that this would blunt investor concerns surrounding the first film's underperformance. In short, they are going to blame the film leak. 

It remains to be seen what, if any, impact this will have on fan created content of any future MLP film ... but those that pirated the film may have instigated a mighty hammer. God help us if they distribute the television side of things too. 

• Brohoof 3

Yeah if there is gonna be a second movie it might actually have a marketing budget now. Unfortunately they had to sell their souls to the devil to do it

• Brohoof 3

4 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Paramount has it's issues as well, but they take film distribution and marketing far more seriously than Lionsgate, and have a better relationship with exhibitors, so should they move forward with a MLP sequel, I suspect all the distribution and marketing mistakes made won't be repeated. Paramount also has a more general understanding of fan based cultures, are least it did ...before the dark times ... 

Now for the bad news. Paramount is known for significant interference with the production of a film, even as a basic distributor. It isn't really Paramount itself, but ... 

paramountpictures.jpg

Viacom. Yikes. 

Hasbro just signed a deal with the one company that will take an active role in all sorts of fuckery. They consider fair use piracy. There have been no rumblings in Trades of this deal, which leads me to believe that Hasbro may have bolted for familiar waters following internal breaches and leaks. Paramount and Viacom run a tight ship in that respect. This also smacks of a corrective response to set up a go-forward plan for investors blunting concerns of the film underperformance. In short, they are going to blame the film leak. 

It remains to be seen what, if any, impact this will have on fan created content of any future MLP film ... but those that pirated the film may have instigated a mighty hammer. 

From what I've seen, Viacom has been known for the #WTFU campaign and copyright issues on Youtube. So, it's looking pretty grim for the future of MLP so far.

But on the bright side, having a sequel might not be so bad. I just hope that they don't repeat the same formula.

• Brohoof 1

Oh ... I missed this.

One final note is this deal will also have Hasbro and Paramount collaborating on television programming. 

Well then ... I pray that Hasbro Calrissian and Viacom Vader work well together. 

4 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Oh ... I missed this.

One final note is this deal will also have Hasbro and Paramount collaborating on television programming. 

Well then ... I pray that Hasbro Calrissian and Viacom Vader work well together. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Paramount has it's issues as well, but they take film distribution and marketing far more seriously than Lionsgate, and have a better relationship with exhibitors, so should they move forward with a MLP sequel, I suspect all the distribution and marketing mistakes made with the first film won't be repeated. Paramount also has a more general understanding of fan based cultures, are least it did ...before the dark times ... more on that in a second. 

paramountpictures.jpg

Viacom. Yikes. 

Hasbro just signed a deal with the one company that will take an active role in all sorts of fuckery. They consider fair use piracy. There have been no rumblings in Trades of this deal, which leads me to believe that Hasbro may have bolted for familiar waters following internal breaches and leaks. Paramount and Viacom run a tight ship in that respect. This also smacks of a corrective response to set up a go-forward plan for investors. My thoughts are that this would blunt investor concerns surrounding the first film's underperformance. In short, they are going to blame the film leak. 

It remains to be seen what, if any, impact this will have on fan created content of any future MLP film ... but those that pirated the film may have instigated a mighty hammer. God help us if they distribute the television side of things too. 

You mean that for example the blind reactions will be blocked in the future on YouTube?

4 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Oh boy, I hope they only make the distribution and not some creative control :unsure: 

They have creative input in development according to the source. Again it's too early to say it's a bad thing, but it's not crazy to suggest that if this deal involves Pony, you should expect some curious decisions. 

13 minutes ago, Hierok said:

You mean that for example the blind reactions will be blocked in the future on YouTube?

If they distribute the television elements and Hasbro doesn't force them to stop, its possible. it's definitely part of their track record. 

• Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, Jeric said:

They have creative input in development according to the source. Again it's too early to say it's a bad thing, but it's not crazy to suggest that if this deal involves Pony, you should expect some curious decisions. 

they better not give me some CGI ponies in real life shit like the Smurfs :dry: 

5 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

they better not give me some CGI ponies in real life shit like the Smurfs :dry: 

They are annoying, but they aren't Sony Animation levels of bad. 

53 minutes ago, Jeric said:

They are annoying, but they aren't Sony Animation levels of bad. 

I just hope they don't interfere to the point to make Pony Movie 2....... NOT Pony Movie 2 :eww: 

It first i was hyped. Now after reading all these comments I am scared :rarity:. Lets just hope it all works out.

People also said Star Wars would die because of Disney but that only became better according to a lot of people including myself. ( not the same company i know but just an example of how things can turn out for the better )

Ponies could be involved with this. But I'm not convinced. Sounds more like something that would be better suited to their GI Joe and Transformers related projects, as well as making films for their other IPs. It could be for ponies mind. But MLP is hardly Hasbro's bread winner by comparison. 

I'm just hoping this doesn't mean MLP gets transferred to a viacom owned channel, as Spectrum cable is now dropping everything related to them. Good riddance. 

1 hour ago, Spilight98 said:

People also said Star Wars would die because of Disney but that only became better according to a lot of people including myself.

I remember those debates. Post Eisner Disney is just as profit focused and synergistic, but they now put people in charge of brands that love those brands and the fans. Star Wars has Kennedy and Pablo Hidalgo guiding almost all creative control. Marvel has Kevin Feige for the films. DuckTales and Disney Animation have been operating with the same desire to allow creative output be more guided by the teams in charge ... and it's proving to be a winning formula. 

Hasbro kinda has their Feige and Hidalgo in Meghan McCarthy and Nicole Dubuc, but they are a bit more hands on with their properties, even though they have shown more and more trust in DHX. They seem pretty hands off with Transformers tho. 

3 hours ago, Hierok said:

Blind reactors tend to show the whole episode/movie/etc. People that showed small clips of Viacom's shows have had their videos removed. Reactors are going to have a hard time on YouTube.

• Brohoof 1

32 minutes ago, meme said:

Blind reactors tend to show the whole episode/movie/etc. People that showed small clips of Viacom's shows have had their videos removed. Reactors are going to have a hard time on YouTube.

Dailymotion it is then.

• Brohoof 1

If there is a reason to be hopeful for this deal, it's Paramount's decision to hire the director of the critically successful Kubo and the Two Strings for their Bumblebee movie next year. Say what you want about Bayformers, but they were unmistakably his movies and I feel like they would be willing to be more hands-off with another My Little Pony movie.

On 11/3/2017 at 0:19 PM, Jeric said:

paramountpictures.jpg

Viacom. Yikes. 

Yeah, I'm happy they're ditching lionsgate and going for another studio. paramount may have its issues, but its hard to do worse than Lion'sgate. They SERIOUSLY screw the pooch whenever it comes to advertising; they honestly are one of the most inept distributors you can get, and that's before getting into their feuds in china (See rockdog)

On 11/3/2017 at 8:43 PM, n1029 said:

critically successful

On 11/3/2017 at 8:43 PM, n1029 said:

Kubo and the Two Strings

I think you may be confusing the meaning of "Successful" there. while it is rated high, Kubo is ANYTHING but successful, financially speaking. It Failed HARD, only selling 74 million on a budget of 60 million. That's an "Ouch" there.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Yeah, I'm happy they're ditching lionsgate and going for another studio. paramount may have its issues, but its hard to do worse than Lion'sgate. They SERIOUSLY screw the pooch whenever it comes to advertising; they honestly are one of the most inept distributors you can get, and that's before getting into their feuds in china (See rockdog)

You definitely feel the antagonistic and biased dislike Theater Owners have for Lionsgate in their projections of box office receipts. They stated they don't trust Lionsgate to help the film perform. 

Ouch.

Their reputation is atrocious. 

On 11/3/2017 at 3:13 PM, Steve Piranha said:

I just hope they don't interfere to the point to make Pony Movie 2....... NOT Pony Movie 2 :eww: 

LETS TAKE THEM TO THE REAL WORLD!

They can help a bumbling, middle aged Cubicle worker learn self esteem and work up the courage to ask out the cute worker in the cubicle across from  him out for a date, all the while learning valuable life lessons along the way!

19 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

I think you may be confusing the meaning of "Successful" there. while it is rated high, Kubo is ANYTHING but successful, financially speaking. It Failed HARD, only selling 74 million on a budget of 60 million. That's an "Ouch" there.

Perhaps "critically acclaimed" would have gotten the point across better. I'm well aware it was a flop financially but that's not what I'm primarily concerned about.

On 11/3/2017 at 0:27 PM, Adamgreen said:

From what I've seen, Viacom has been known for the #WTFU campaign and copyright issues on Youtube. So, it's looking pretty grim for the future of MLP so far.

But on the bright side, having a sequel might not be so bad. I just hope that they don't repeat the same formula.

Seeing as though I'm more into official stuff rather than fan-made stuff based on MLP, I really won't be affected much by this.

Besides, even if Letupita725HD's account blows up to smithereens, I can still find other ways, no matter what.

Edited by FirePuppy