Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are we usually more invested with pony characters than human characters?

Plonkett

Since we are all bronies, do we usually get invested with ponies and other MLP characters (be it the show or fan content) than with human characters or even regular anthro characters? What makes MLP characters so unique from humans and regular anthros?

For example, I watched War for the Planet of the Apes last night. I really enjoyed the story and how it combined action with emotion, and all the things Caesar went through. Now, if we replaced the setting with Equestria and the main character with a pony character, how differently would we follow the story? Some may probably feel the same, but what are your thoughts?

Edited by vgmaster9
  • Brohoof 2

I don't know that this is true.

I remember reading that a recent study showed animal characters in story books are actually less effective at creating meaningful moral connections in young children than human characters.

This doesn't compare how adults or older children process the difference, or if heavily anthropomorphized characters are more effective, but I think you can expect we more directly apply what we see in characters that look like us to our selves. 

Id hypothesize that the pony design is somewhere in between. It lets you identify with characters as you get familiar with them, but at the same time it allows the viewer to create distance when they find the subject uncomfortable. A lot of fans like this series as a means of escapism. Anecdotally, I thik fans complain most about characters when they successfully break through the lighthearted facade and make them feel human vulnerablities.

• Brohoof 1

35 minutes ago, vgmaster9 said:

Since we are all bronies, do we usually get invested with ponies and other MLP characters (be it the show or fan content) than with human characters or even regular anthro characters?

From my own personal experience with fiction, I actually find little overall distinction between my engagement and investment of a character and their form. In fact my favorite characters in fiction are human, and pretty high on the list is an alien humanoid. I'm a Brony, yes ... but this show doesn't even get close enough to sniff the top ten fictional worlds, characters, or stories. I only bring that up because there is an assumption that some Bronies make that this show and these characters are the personal gold standard of every fan. This isn't close to accurate with me. 

Perfect Pear is as good as this show gets for me, but I've read and seen better love stories. Hell, I could probably write a better love story. That doesn't mean I diminish that episode, it just means that there is a ocean of great fiction and characters out there. 

38 minutes ago, vgmaster9 said:

What makes MLP characters so unique from humans and regular anthros?

Visually? General design aesthetic. What works for them is seen in other non human animation ... most notably large eyes and expressive features.

15 minutes ago, Ivan The Adorable said:

A lot of fans like this series as a means of escapism. Anecdotally, I thik fans complain most about characters when they successfully break through the lighthearted facade and make them feel human vulnerablities.

For some there is a lot of truth to that. I remember that some fans admitted to feeling uncomfortable after watching Amending Fences. I think that Pony normally tries to hit that sweet spot that is similar to Star Wars in terms of relatability with the characters and the world -- familiar and foreign at the same time. When something is too familiar and holds up a mirror to the audience ... it can be very uncomfortable. 

• Brohoof 3

This answer is stupid long and might bum some out so fair warning

Spoiler

This is SPECIFICALLY in my case, but I think that real world interactions have never really been worth too much.

I've probably had 3-5 good friends in my life. The rest being "friends" who were really aquaintances, people who were nice to me to use me, and everyone else who I found it hard to be around, let alone try to get comfy with.

You might think "oh so you just can't interact with people." Weirdly, an old retail job helped me learn what I believe now. I USED to think that I was genuinely autistic, but I can hold a conversation, if anything I find myself breaking the silence into a topic more than the other. I always feel burdened with transitioning into the next topic, things only go silent when the other person I'm talking with gives dead silence or one word answers. And in retail I faked smiles and had no-substance conversations with many kinds of people. I never enjoyed it.

I just find the majority of people boring, this applies in art too. The ONLY reason I could see myself drawing a human is if they're doing a unique pose or are wearing something fashionable.

Ergo, when whoever-created-mlp designed a world of talking horses who have....maybe not unique or too interesting character, but honestly varying character, then have impossible situations happen to them it interested me more than any drama ever will.

It also has to do with lies. I'm guilty of it myself. People pretend to be this and that to impress you because that's nature. People wanna be liked but adjust their honest selves to accomplish this. Those 3-4 good friends I had were their weird selves to me right off the bat, and I was genuinely happy in their company.

This show about honest characters developing honest, exciting relationships is what I've always wanted. And if I had to guess, if I ever do find good, interesting people, I might not need it anymore.

TL;DR : My experience with people has probably biased me into being disinterested in them, and now ponies entertain me more than people.

For me, it really depends on the situation and story involved. Most of what the show already depicts - slice of life, inane situations, and magical adventures - all fit very well in the MLP universe. These situations use the characters personalities and universe well. I try to watch sitcoms and I find they just don’t have the same effect. In this case, pony wins out.

Overly dramatic, harrowing, and dark themes tend not to do well within the universe of pony. Not just because of the lighthearted, joyful theme of the show, but because the presence of magic and the “weaponization” of friendship/love tend to lessen the impact of these situations. Human characters are far better for these types of situations because of our vulnerabilities, flaws, lack of magic, and reactions to such situations. Think The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad.

One good example of this is the horror film The Babadook, which effectively helps you empathize with the characters and feel their fear when faced with both a real-life situation and a supernatural one simultaneously. When a nearly powerless, downtrodden human is able to face and overcome a particularly powerful supernatural entity, you feel their relief and you feel more invested in the story because we can put ourselves in that situation. Now, replace these characters with ponies, and the impact is suddenly lifted.

It all depends on the situation and how well it is woven into the story. Pony can get pretty intense and still be within the confines of the universe, like Twilight vs Tirek in Twilight’s Kingdom and humans can get pretty silly and fun like in Rat Race. But you don’t want to see MLP turn into Dragonball, do you? And most of the time, comedy movies miss their mark, don’t they? It all depends on how well it is done and how well it fits into the pre-built universe.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

Visually? General design aesthetic. What works for them is seen in other non human animation ... most notably large eyes and expressive features.

That we can all agree on.

42 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

Are ponies in MLP technically considered anthro? I know they talk and stuff, but anything Anthropomorphic walks on two legs, and well, ponies don't walk on two legs. Unless it's equestria girls. 

While they are indeed anthropomorphic, they technically aren't conventional anthros (the ones that walk on two legs).

• Brohoof 1