Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Something I will never get

Discordian

(edited)

I have always regarded taste above anything else when it comes to food. Now when someone who's physically fit and only eats healthy foods comes to me and says they find this

Posted Image

More appetizing than this

Posted Image

For the simple fact that it's lower on calories, fully admitting that the taste of the latter is better, and then tries to tell me that I shouldn't eat food like the latter because it's fattening when I deliberately tell them I can't stand stuff like the former because the taste is so extremely bland in comparison....

I'll never understand why people like that insist on telling me I'm eating bad food when I've told them my reasons for loving it and that's that it tastes delicious.

If we were debating tastes and they find something like the grilled chicken better, I'd have no beef with them, but if they are gonna tell me I should like the grilled chicken more just because it's healthier I get a little annoyed.

Note: I have no problem with dieters or people who do eat healthy normally, but I hate people who try to tell me how I should be eating just because I eat fattening foods that I find to taste amazing when taste is all I ever care about in food. If I get fat, I get fat, nuff said.

I imagine this topic may not go over well but just keep in mind that this is not scrutiny of diets or healthy food. It's essentially dislike of people telling me what to do when I've already made my decision knowing full-well the ramifications of my decision.

Edited by Raronoopa

You choose your destiny. If you want to eat hamburgers all day, no one should have the right to stop you. They can advise you of the consequences, but it looks like you already know them.

(edited)

I imagine this topic may not go over well but just keep in mind that this is not scrutiny of diets or healthy food. It's essentially dislike of people telling me what to do when I've already made my decision knowing full-well the ramifications of my decision.

If you eat healthy, you will probably live longer. Aren't they just trying to give you helpful advice? Like don't smoke that cigarette because you'll get cancer or don't drive while drunk or don't buy Black Ops2.

I mean, your concept could be applied to.. oh idno, crossing the street.

mom: look both ways before crossing the street

little johnny: fuck you, don't tell me how to cross the street

*car hits little johnny*

Edited by Bohtty

The former looks delicious and the latter... lacks certain aesthetic appeals. Taste has many factors like appearance, nutrition, execution, smell, social context, etc, and people assign these factors values. Obviously the guy in your case values nutrition, but you value the physical taste more, and conflict is born. It's a fair argument to say that the former is better because its the healthier, because its true, but if you told the guy you knew that already and liked the former for the taste, then bringing up the health argument again is just ad nauseum, broken record rhetoric. He should be able to get the message that your the guy that eats food for eating, and realize that the health argument would likely just annoy you. So, I guess its your win, although personally I dislike the latter very much.

If you eat healthy, you will probably live longer. Aren't they just trying to give you helpful advice? Like don't smoke that cigarette because you'll get cancer or don't drive while drunk or don't buy Black Ops2.

Agreed :)

I mean, your concept could be applied to.. oh idno, crossing the street.

mom: look both ways before crossing the street

little johnny: fuck you, don't tell me how to cross the street

*car hits little johnny*

That's a parent/child thing. A child might not fully understand the consequences of crossing the street without looking, but there's no reason why somebody older wouldn't understand the consequences of eating less healthy foods. Especially with the government shoving it down our throats all the time.

Yeah sorry man, I think if people are advising you to eat healthier its not to insult you or anything. They probably are just trying to help you to live a lot longer ^.^. As eating a ton of greasy foods like hamburgers and such will end up a detriment to your lifespan in the long run. That's not to say you shouldn't indulge in those foods every once in awhile though ;) (just like you shouldn't indulge in liquor all the time too, but to do so sometimes is a-okay :lol: ...woops....you didn't hear that from me... :blink: )

Oh see, I would understand if it was a one time thing or maybe twice but there's a few people that will try to pound it into me regardless of what I say. It annoys me that people practically try to force me to eat healthy when I have no interest in eating healthy. Life will be long enough as it is, I don't really feel a need to live a full 80 year life just to suffer through it because I can't eat what I want. I know the ramifications and I am fully aware I'm probably cutting my lifespan by at least 20-30 years at hte very least but dammit it's gonna be a tasty ride. Longevity can suck it, pleasure comes first in terms of food. That's my philosophy and when people try to force me to change that philosophy because it's "better for me" that's when it gets annoying and what this topic is essentially about. I don't mind advice, it's the constant nagging that gets at me.

(edited)

People have a huge bias against people who are overweight. I'm not saying you are, but it's to the point where people pass judgments on the food you you eat, even if you -are- perfectly healthy. There's a certain level of stuck-up-ed-ness that people assume when they fit into a certain category. Not all people who are part of that category, of course, but people assume they can be a certain way just because they fit into a certain group of people. This applies, as well, for people who eat healthy. I think many of them think that they put the time and effort into selecting certain food, weighing it, counting calories, etc, that they think that they have the right to tell other people how to eat and that their way is the best way. Really, though, at the end of the day, you gotta eat. It doesn't matter if it's skinless chicken, or a burger constructed solely out of bacon. It's your decision, and really, unless you're eating, like, a pound of pure grease every day, or something stupid like that, it doesn't really do that much to harm you. Not nearly as much as TV would have you believe. Again, your choice, and nobody should really have a say in a choice that's solely yours. So, why it's any skin off their nose is beyond me, too.

Besides which, for the most part, it's about how much you eat, not what you eat. So if you stop when you're actually full, and don't stuff yourself, you can maintain a healthy weight -and- eat the foods you like. And even if you do wanna stuff yourself, again, that's up to you, and by doing so, you accepting the possible ramifications of over-eating, and that you might gain weight. Again, how that puts anyone else out, I have no idea.

Edited by Duchess_Clover

I agree with the Quality better then quantity thing.I am the last person to give out Health Advice. Everything I eat is either some rich pizza or something smothered in cheese etc.etc.etc. But , that Burger doesn't look very appetizing to me. My friends eat just as badly as I do, so they never really give me Health Advice. The only one that does that right now is my dad. It's all about Moderation. It's never a good idea IMO to quit anything cold turkey. I mean the Burger etc.etc. should be like a Once a week kinda treat. I mean if you have something good for you like 5-6 days a week you can feel proud if you wanna treat yourself to a Burger or a Pizza. Like I said it's not really about quitting something it's all about Moderation......................Wow, I guess I'm better at giving people health advice then I thought. Now, if You excuse me I have a whole box of Twinkies that I gotta devour. ;)

What? I can't even eat hamburger meat. It's just... Ew. I like grilled chicken, though, so the first looks much better to me.

To be honest, I wouldn't even be able to get that burger anywhere near my mouth. It would make me gag.

how the hell are you even going to fit that monstrosity of a hamburger into your mouth? :blink:

also that chicken-thing-whatever in the top looks far more edible than that hamburger, despite me being not that fond of veggies, and despite me eating not exactly-super-healthy, myself.

In my opinion, I prefer the chicken over the burger, because I just prefer chicken over beef (what can I say, it's my favourite meat)

Posted Image

best burger of all time. and yeah, I'd probably enjoy this more than the chicken posted above. my figure however... let's just say when you start to get a little older, bad eating habits catch up with you, and now I'm looking to lose about 20 pounds. it kind of sneaks up on you.

• Brohoof 1

everytime i go to a fast food joint, i always get the biggest burger they have,

i make sure to eat some health foods too, i love grapes, blue berrys, and apples and ive been told i eat watermelon like a black guy

i dont care what i eat, as long as it tastes good, i do excersize every now and then to balence my constant eating(im serious, im always snacking, on crackers or chips and yet im still not fat)

I must say there is a lot more to food for me than just the taste. If I ate that burger I would feel kind of crappy the rest of the day. That greasy feeling coming through your pours. eww. Even if I did like the taste of burgers better than the healthy option, I would probably still pick the healthier option just because of the after effects of the food. That could be one of the reasons you're friend would also pick the same.

The grilled chicken dish really looks MUCH more appetizing than the hamburger. The chicken is grilled, elegantly presented, has plenty of protein, and full of healthy vegetables on the side. Meanwhile, the hamburger looks completely disgusting. Sitting in a plastic tray/box, greasy, soggy, and with bleached flour.

While the hamburger may taste better, there's also the guilt because of it being cooked over a gas, pan-like grill and full of vegetable oil. Combine that with the cheese, it may give you the satisfaction, but there's the psychological consequences of feeling guilty. That's where the healthy variety of the grilled chicken comes into play. It looks like chicken with gravy on the side. Then there's the vegetables—a good side order.

As someone who used to be hideously overweight, quality over quality. The hamburger is disgusting junk food. Looks a lot like an oversized McDonald's Big Mac with dead lettuce for "nutritional values." There are plenty of healthier burger alternatives compared to the one in the picture that can satisfy me but not feel guilty. The people who are calling you out on it want you to have a longer life so you enjoy the food in the long run. Quite frankly, I don't blame them.

Taste > Everything

It's food. Jeez...

Not true one bit. Many manufacturers put flavor enhancers, simple syrups/oils, and a ton of extra crap in "food" to increase shelf life (sometimes resulting in food not expiring at all such as Hostess Twinkies and the McDonald's fries) at the expense of people's health. In the U.S., a simple sweetener called high fructose corn syrup can be found in approximately 80% of all the products in a simple supermarket.
  • Brohoof 2

Personally, I find that the chicken in the first pic looks much more delicious than the burger. But yeah, in general taste is the most important.

There has to be some limits though. I love the taste of McDonald's. But I wouldn't eat it everyday because I know it's bad for me. You jyst have to balance everything.