Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP's box office compared to other films

FirePuppy

Recently, the movie has just barely reached $51 million worldwide. That's less than how much money more than 40 movies released in 2017 have each grossed domestically! To make matters worse, at least seven of these films were released after My Little Pony, such as Disney's "Coco", Paramount's "Daddy's Home 2", and Lionsgate's "Wonder".

Within worldwide box office grosses, there's even a few "grade F" films that also grossed more money than My Little Pony did (so far). For instance, "Monster Trucks" grossed over $64 million, and yet Rotten Tomatoes gave it a lower score than that film.

If the box office continues to deflate and doesn't gross enough money by its close date (expected to be either December 8 or 15), it may likely not make it to the Top 100 Worldwide Box Offices of 2017, and worse yet, have even grossed less than the Top 50 movies since 1999.

Edited by FirePuppy

Context is everything. 

No, it hasn't grossed much due to the niche market and limited release, but you also have to account that movies exist to make money, without loosing it preferably.

There are no hard facts on the movie's budget. But it's estimated to be $5 million on the low end and $30 million on the high. Even if the latter ends up being the case, rule of thumb for a movie to be considered a succsess is for it to make back 1.5x it's budget. 

With a $51 million world wide gross, the MLP has done that and more. And that's not counting the ongoing toy and eventual DVD sales. 

• Brohoof 2

36 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Context is everything. 

No, it hasn't grossed much due to the niche market and limited release, but you also have to account that movies exist to make money, without loosing it preferably.

There are no hard facts on the movie's budget. But it's estimated to be $5 million on the low end and $30 million on the high. Even if the latter ends up being the case, rule of thumb for a movie to be considered a succsess is for it to make back 1.5x it's budget. 

With a $51 million world wide gross, the MLP has done that and more. And that's not counting the ongoing toy and eventual DVD sales. 

And example would be another movie that was hyped and launched at the same time as ponies. It grossed over 60 million, which is more than what ponies made, but it bombed because it's budget was WAY bigger with 100 million or so. We don't know if pony movie was commercially successful or not, but there's no way it's budget was that high. I think the movie grossed almost it's budget at worst, and over four times over it's budget at best. And that's not counting that's it's tied to toys, where's the real cash is for Hasbro, and with the bearded guy in red going in chimneys left and right soon....

• Brohoof 2

13 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

And example would be another movie that was hyped and launched at the same time as ponies. It grossed over 60 million, which is more than what ponies made, but it bombed because it's budget was WAY bigger with 100 million or so. We don't know if pony movie was commercially successful or not, but there's no way it's budget was that high. I think the movie grossed almost it's budget at worst, and over four times over it's budget at best. And that's not counting that's it's tied to toys, where's the real cash is for Hasbro, and with the bearded guy in red going in chimneys left and right soon....

And it was also better promoted right? I only saw in the last week before the movie commercials appear. :grin:

6 hours ago, The Gobok said:

And it was also better promoted right? I only saw in the last week before the movie commercials appear. :grin:

I think so. People where very excited for the return of an old classic, which I can't recall the name