Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did season 6 drive a lot of people away?

Drunkfrank

2 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

I wouldn't say it drove at least me away, but I can say it was barely advertised. Also, it was really underwhelming.

I would say a combination of Starlights redemption, a lackluster premiere, some awful episodes, and the changeling change drove people away, and the lack of any real advertising.

• Brohoof 1

42 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

I would say a combination of Starlights redemption, a lackluster premiere, some awful episodes, and the changeling change drove people away, and the lack of any real advertising.

You get the impression that Discovery Family was lazy in terms of advertisement.

As for the premiere, I think the lack of a real antagonist might have something to do with its underwhelming nature. Granted, some good stories don't have antagonists. The Crystalling is not one of them.

Edited by heavens-champion

12 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

You get the impression that Discovery Family was lazy in terms of advertisement.

As for the premiere, I think the lack of a real antagonist might have something to do with its underwhelming nature. Granted, some good stories don't have antagonists. The Crystalling is not one of them.

Discovery Family is the definition of not giving a shit.

I would agree on the premiere, one of the biggest issues was the two plots weren't balanced that well and the stakes were extremely forced.

30 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Discovery Family is the definition of not giving a shit.

I would agree on the premiere, one of the biggest issues was the two plots weren't balanced that well and the stakes were extremely forced.

You get the impression that it should have been about Starlight and Sunburst.

Just now, heavens-champion said:

You get the impression that it should have been about Starlight and Sunburst.

Or at least be separate episodes, one where we try to get Flurries magic under control and one where we see Starlight and Sunburst reconnect.

• 4 years later...

My interest in new episodes of MLP died out initially because i found Season 6 mediocre. I loved some episodes in the season (Saddle Row Review, Stranger Than Fanfiction, the finale), but I found the season dull overall and far worse than Seasons 1-5. I still watched parts of Season 7 afterwards but after that my interest in the show was gone completely until I came back to it years later.

S6 is definitely where the show went downhill for me. I can actually pinpoint the exact moment where my love for the show started tanking

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Megas said:

S6 is definitely where the show went downhill for me. I can actually pinpoint the exact moment where my love for the show started tanking

The Cutie Re-Mark is for me the moment when MLP went permanently downhill and was never consistently great again for the rest of its run. I still consider Season 1-4 as the golden era, Season 5 as the transitional era (still good and most qualities of golden era are still there, but things have still clearly changed), and Season 6-9 as inconsistent with many good and bad qualities evening out. Where do you pinpoint the exact moment the show tanked for you?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
9 hours ago, Lone Traveler said:

The Cutie Re-Mark is for me the moment when MLP went permanently downhill and was never consistently great again for the rest of its run. I still consider Season 1-4 as the golden era, Season 5 as the transitional era (still good and most qualities of golden era are still there, but things have still clearly changed), and Season 6-9 as inconsistent with many good and bad qualities evening out. Where do you pinpoint the exact moment the show tanked for you?

Newbie Dash, was watching the show for 5 years wanting to see RD eventually become a WB and twas punished for it, it was the first time where I came out of an episode thinking the writers hated the audience and the show they worked on. After that as the show went on it was getting more and more difficult for me to keep watching as I was skipping more episodes as it went along

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 3

Season 6 wasn't that great, IMO but Season 7 made up for it in my eyes. The transition from Season 8 to Season 9 was what made me lose all hope. 

• Brohoof 4

I've heard from quite a few people that the lost interest in FiM in and due to season six. I don't know how many exactly, but yes it seem like season six did that. In my opinion season six isn't that great either compared to the others before it, but season 8 was weaker than six.

• Brohoof 1

Probably. I know a lot of people who actively dislike Season 6 because of certain episodes and the things they tried to do with it. I like S6, but I definitely feel that it's one of the weaker seasons.