Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do People Read a Lot of the Posts on Popular Topics?

Overlord0909

To be honest, I think that big topics repeat themselves over and over again, because people say their opinion, get challenged, and then the cycle continues... then bam! It starts over with the same point brought up. Perhaps there are a few who have been following the whole time, but I doubt they could handle remembering 100 pages of text.

I've seen it where points are repeated on the same page too! This could be because they just didn't refresh, but still that relates to the topic's popularity.

Why am I mentioning this? Because I guess we could start a conversation about something; like why do we bother posting something that will probably never get read? Or is there exceptions to this?

I'm going to answer both those questions in my opinion:

Question 1. I think we do it the same reason anyone posts their status, to be noticed and commented upon, to maybe continue into a discussion... Yeah, not sure what else to put here.

Question 2. Yes. Roleplays and discussions revolving around one person's beginning interest (like a person posts a picture of his car or something and shows off). Although there are exceptions to these as well: If the topic is long dead for one, or the topic isn't really hot enough for people to care about anymore.

Yep, some things to discuss. I wonder if I'll get more than two pages of replies! :D

• Brohoof 1

This depends o the topic really. If the topic is a discussion that I am very interested in, then I like seeing what others say about it. That is unless the topic is nothing but negativity, then it could get tiresome. :P Usually I do casual reads, mainly taking a look at some posts and then responding.

• Brohoof 3

This depends o the topic really. If the topic is a discussion that I am very interested in, then I like seeing what others say about it. That is unless the topic is nothing but negativity, then it could get tiresome. :P Usually I do casual reads, mainly taking a look at some posts and then responding.

Same. What if you're a part of the badgering?

Also, the Pacific Glow character, she looks exactly like Pinkie Pie except for the hair XD

Oh, I meant if someone was being negative with you XD, but I guess they are technically badgering you :P

If that is the case, I usually just try to stay out of it, unless it is a topic I get really passionate about. Then I might never shut up. :P Not exactly a good thing in those cases. XD

• Brohoof 1

If that is the case, I usually just try to stay out of it, unless it is a topic I get really passionate about. Then I might never shut up. :P Not exactly a good thing in those cases. XD

Same, I bet, for me lol. But I seem to avoid that scenario quite a lot.

It really depends on the topic. If it's something like "favorite X" then I'll not even bother, If it's a debate though, it's usually worth reading a lot of the old replies

• Brohoof 2

It really depends on the topic. If it's something like "favorite X" then I'll not even bother, If it's a debate though, it's usually worth reading a lot of the old replies

So, you reply not caring if your post ever gets read?

So, you reply not caring if your post ever gets read?

Again it depends on the subject

• Brohoof 1

Over time a old topic gets bumped and new posts apearred. It's really intersting actually to read and compare years worth of posts from that specific time to what's currently new and depending on the subject matter, I'll post my own.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

To be honest, I think that big topics repeat themselves over and over again, because people say their opinion, get challenged, and then the cycle continues... then bam! It starts over with the same point brought up. Perhaps there are a few who have been following the whole time, but I doubt they could handle remembering 100 pages of text.

I've seen it where points are repeated on the same page too! This could be because they just didn't refresh, but still that relates to the topic's popularity.

Why am I mentioning this? Because I guess we could start a conversation about something; like why do we bother posting something that will probably never get read? Or is there exceptions to this?

I'm going to answer both those questions in my opinion:

Question 1. I think we do it the same reason anyone posts their status, to be noticed and commented upon, to maybe continue into a discussion... Yeah, not sure what else to put here.

Question 2. Yes. Roleplays and discussions revolving around one person's beginning interest (like a person posts a picture of his car or something and shows off). Although there are exceptions to these as well: If the topic is long dead for one, or the topic isn't really hot enough for people to care about anymore.

Yep, some things to discuss. I wonder if I'll get more than two pages of replies! :D

But isn't that what Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram and the like are for? To be noticed? The only thing anybody wants in our world of today is to be noticed and cared about so they keep such profiles on these sites in hopes that they'll have what anybody wants, an audience. And isn't that what our world of today wants? To be noticed? All you want is to hope that somebody out there cares about your existence among billions of people. All we really want is to be our own personal celebrities.

Man, I sound so old talking like this. Things my generation learns, eh? But is this not what you meant?

But opinion wise, I go for the topic that interests me most, popular or not. Also, I never read through all the pages of posts. Just like one or two. And I reply because I like to reply. I don't care if it ever gets read. And I find that my replies usually get read whether in this week or next year.

Edited by Espurr
  • Brohoof 1

Wow, I'm actually getting replies. :) And yes @Espurr, what you said at first is exactly what I believe. But everyone is different, so I would never a blanket statement either. I have Facebook, but I never use it to post my emotions or status. In fact I hardly use this site's either.

So, it really depends on people.

• 3 years later...

I only read topics that are interesting. With a little spice of drama involved.

The 100+ posts I don't really read through are those forum games, like the banned game.

(edited)

I actually read them haha I mean that's the point of a forum if you are just posting your thoughts not reading the other posts you should rather be writing a blog or something.

That said though I do read the most recently posted ones if they are many pages you know but I do always read though not necessarily every post. Yet like if I wasn't reading them why would I be posting really. Like if you don't read others posts you can bet they won't be reading yours haha.

Yet you know most people are not, something you realize when you actually do read the posts on the topics. Some don't even read the OPs posts so I don't know I think people should do what they want. Though a forum is for discussion.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

• 2 years later...

People change opinions all the time. It is easier to just scroll to the recent post to see the current opinion, than read through the entire topic