Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there even a point to trying to post about any MLP topic?

user unknown

I hate to sound so pessimistic here but is there even any point in trying to create any "new" MLP posts on any forum?

I ask because with as many on and as long as this site has been in existence someone has probably already posted any possible question or point I could ever hope to make about MLP.

So,  yes at this point am I just better off just replying? 

If this is about your thread being closed, I explained the reasoning: duplicates of large and currently active threads are, for the most part, disallowed. It is a way to keep MLP Forums organized. It doesn’t make sense to make a brand new thread on the exact same topic of an already existing, in action one when all of the discussion is taking place there.

To help avoid a similar scenario, I recommend you execute our search feature:

8C6E7ED5-9AFD-41ED-9462-83B048362709.jpeg

But is there a point in making threads about topics that have already been explored from long ago? I’d say so. Reviving a discourse is a way to bring attention to something that may have been forgotten. As far as your thread receiving replies? That is obviously not guaranteed. If someone doesn’t want to respond, they won’t. If they do, then they do.

It is ultimately up to you to formulate threads or stick to replying standing ones yourself. I would argue that most of us here adhere to just answering extant threads considering how long this site has been up. There are over 160,000 after all.

Edited by The Wife of Law

2 hours ago, Star heart 777 said:

I hate to sound so pessimistic here but is there even any point in trying to create any "new" MLP posts on any forum?

I ask because with as many on and as long as this site has been in existence someone has probably already posted any possible question or point I could ever hope to make about MLP.

So,  yes at this point am I just better off just replying? 

Try to search for the topic first, so you can avoid making more duplicates. Also, imagination is the limit here. So, as long as you are creative enough. Otherwise, there is no problem with being a beta replier. Or an omega, like myself. For, example. My answer was gonna be. "I don't like duplicates, they make me very confused and angry". Just for the chuckles. But then I decided to be the better person, and give you the moral support you need to become an alpha creator. After all, someone has to work here, and that isn't gonna be me. *Cough*, *cough*. I am a little sick, after all.

7 hours ago, The Wife of Law said:

If this is about your thread being closed, I explained the reasoning: duplicates of large and currently active threads are, for the most part, disallowed. It is a way to keep MLP Forums organized. It doesn’t make sense to make a brand new thread on the exact same topic of an already existing, in action one when all of the discussion is taking place there.

To help avoid a similar scenario, I recommend you execute our search feature:

8C6E7ED5-9AFD-41ED-9462-83B048362709.jpeg

But is there a point in making threads about topics that have already been explored from long ago? I’d say so. Reviving a discourse is a way to bring attention to something that may have been forgotten. As far as your thread receiving replies? That is obviously not guaranteed. If someone doesn’t want to respond, they won’t. If they do, then they do.

It is ultimately up to you to formulate threads or stick to replying standing ones yourself. I would argue that most of us here adhere to just answering extant threads considering how long this site has been up. There are over 160,000 after all.

No, I understand the reason why you did that and this post isn't about contesting that at all nor "protesting" it at all.

As far as searching the site goes that is a worthless gesture. 

Here is why let's say for a small example before I posted my MLP dream post I decide to first search for it. If I search for the terms pony or dream or both I will always find 8000+ responses for every stupid little time ANYONE has EVER used one or both words in ANY sentence. (Example: I really love my little PONY it reminds me of a DREAM I had...)

Now, I know  what you all will say "Do 'x' trick to narrow it down then.

I can tell you right those don't work if you attempt to be more specific unless the search engine just happens to find EXACTLY what you are looking for you will likely get a bo results found causing you to falsely believe it doesn't exist.

And Id rather avoid getting flagged and in trouble because I mistakenly made a post I didn't know someone else made however many  years ago. 

I mean I know of topics that I guarantee no one in here has ever posted  and aside from myself will ever post about MLP but that's because I'm only one here that holds interest in such areas.

In other words there aren't talked of because no one cares about such subjects.

I mean overall it is what it is and can't be helped by anyone just frustrating is all.

• Brohoof 1

@Star heart 777

This concern from you has been moved to the Feedback section.

And Id rather avoid getting flagged and in trouble because I mistakenly made a post I didn't know someone else made however many  years ago.

It is quite difficult to find a perfect match for a specific topic made in the past. The search system likes to show the recent used words, but eventually brings up a large thread if one exists. Some of the big ones are known to older members and staff and it takes some effort to dig them up. If one search result ends up not bringing a similar thread to your own idea to the surface after going through at least 2 pages of search result, it would be safe to assume that your thread would be unique to give some interesting conversations going. And we really like good MLP conversations here :rarity:

Example: Search for the word random, and see how many search results until you will find the thread known as Say something totally random!
Because it has been popular to post there lately, it is probably going to show up just a few entries down on the first search result page. But a few months ago, it was as far down as 3 pages. And most of the replies in that thread has been more like tweets than random stuff, addressing members, thoughts on things, the actual thread topic allows for so much more than just silly random lines of text. This is of course in Forum Lounge and not in the MLP section. The other thing about MLP is that there are so many threads, new and old, that can serve as an example how to create a successful thread in the first place.
Nothing can stop a thread from being unique, even if it brings up similar topics to old threads.

Why create threads when there are so many threads to reply to in the first place? Threads give the same points as a reply. In fact, replying to old threads will still bring those to attention on the front page, as if you would create your own, only it has more replies already to bring more attention to it.

It is of course okay to post new threads. It is just good to think about all the current options available.

@Star heart 777

When I first joined this forum back in 2014, what drew me in at first was the thoughtful posts by the community, whether it was an in-depth character analysis, insightful theorycrafting, or well intentioned critiques of plot point. The site can absolutely benefit from more of that. While others may have posted about those items, unless it is a mega thread, you can make a fresh topic about it. These new posts usually have a different angle because the entirety of FiM has aired and been written. New content is also great for SEO. 

I totally understand the annoyance you feel with having your topic locked for such reason, and personally I know well the search engine tends to find literally everything unrelated but not the thing you're actually looking for making you be like e-bigangery.gif.f46e3888b42483d4fbc643247a93206a.gif. It's not your fault and it's not a crime anyway, so if you're concerned about getting flagged/troubles because of that, then don't worry, it would be quite ridiculous to punish members because of that and effectively most of the users would probably refrain from posting anything if deep research would be required first to avoid problems if that was the case.

So yeah, if it happens, it happens I guess. It is irking indeed, that's understandable, but try to not take it personally.

Anyway, I'm writing because I'd like to address this:

On 2023-03-17 at 8:26 AM, Star heart 777 said:

Here is why let's say for a small example before I posted my MLP dream post I decide to first search for it. If I search for the terms pony or dream or both I will always find 8000+ responses for every stupid little time ANYONE has EVER used one or both words in ANY sentence. (Example: I really love my little PONY it reminds me of a DREAM I had...)

Now, I know  what you all will say "Do 'x' trick to narrow it down then.

I can tell you right those don't work if you attempt to be more specific unless the search engine just happens to find EXACTLY what you are looking for you will likely get a bo results found causing you to falsely believe it doesn't exist.

While there are still no guarantees nor anything, there are actually few tricks you could try if you'd happen to search for something in the future.

2023-03-18_18-09-38.png.20a5b10440d3fe5b9dfdba31054cd07b.png

Searching for "pony" and "dream" yields 365,953 results at the moment, obviously ain't no one going to check them all e-twiwth.png.5878ad773cfe0efaf9dc8dc75763160a.png, but you can greatly narrow the search with few clicks:

2023-03-18_18-13-40.thumb.png.a139ae470484c129690e81b72ce4cee0.png

Open more search options, and since we want to find a topic...

2023-03-18_18-19-25.thumb.png.d72ec0d2053d5e2e2832b0efe4d2e54d.png

We now must pray for it to find something relevant e-worshipping-extreme.gif.4565905cb654636d740761cce3d845d1.gif

...aaand, not too bad:

2023-03-18_18-20-18.thumb.png.5ad9b1e2812bebef20445388fc180400.png

As it turns out .... there actually are some "duplicates" already.

1. what was your fisrt ever pony dream
  2. Have you dreamed a pony related dream?
  3. Strangest pony dream?

Interestingly, the one you were pointed to in your topic (Pony related dreams you've had?) does NOT show in the results, despite clearly having "pony" and "dream" in its title, so yep, search engine be like

tomidk.png.fe6c3160aa5238c892ced0f31cb92ff3.png

Definitely one of these epic search moments where you're wondering if the search engine shouldn't be required to wear glasses. 

Alternatively, Google does the job better. If you'd search for

site:mlpforums.com "pony" "dream"

You'd get quite accurate results:

2023-03-18_18-32-53.thumb.png.3e2e55b5d8929a3b74002985506e3e32.png

So yeah, why the hay the forum's search couldn't find it, not even Twilight knows. e-twibigbrain.png.59f9651fa9ae93815fbd2e51e2fc697b.png

Of course, it is not to say, that you're required to do all of this before posting a topic, buuuuut searching isn't as pointless as it might seem, even tho it still kinda sux sometimes.

On 2023-03-17 at 12:24 AM, Gale Wind said:

Some of us are newer to the site so we may not have seen everything and still can find things to comment on 

I couldn't agree more to this! <3 

On 2023-03-18 at 1:44 PM, Rikifive said:

I totally understand the annoyance you feel with having your topic locked for such reason, and personally I know well the search engine tends to find literally everything unrelated but not the thing you're actually looking for making you be like e-bigangery.gif.f46e3888b42483d4fbc643247a93206a.gif. It's not your fault and it's not a crime anyway, so if you're concerned about getting flagged/troubles because of that, then don't worry, it would be quite ridiculous to punish members because of that and effectively most of the users would probably refrain from posting anything if deep research would be required first to avoid problems if that was the case.

So yeah, if it happens, it happens I guess. It is irking indeed, that's understandable, but try to not take it personally.

Anyway, I'm writing because I'd like to address this:

While there are still no guarantees nor anything, there are actually few tricks you could try if you'd happen to search for something in the future.

2023-03-18_18-09-38.png.20a5b10440d3fe5b9dfdba31054cd07b.png

Searching for "pony" and "dream" yields 365,953 results at the moment, obviously ain't no one going to check them all e-twiwth.png.5878ad773cfe0efaf9dc8dc75763160a.png, but you can greatly narrow the search with few clicks:

2023-03-18_18-13-40.thumb.png.a139ae470484c129690e81b72ce4cee0.png

Open more search options, and since we want to find a topic...

2023-03-18_18-19-25.thumb.png.d72ec0d2053d5e2e2832b0efe4d2e54d.png

We now must pray for it to find something relevant e-worshipping-extreme.gif.4565905cb654636d740761cce3d845d1.gif

...aaand, not too bad:

2023-03-18_18-20-18.thumb.png.5ad9b1e2812bebef20445388fc180400.png

As it turns out .... there actually are some "duplicates" already.

1. what was your fisrt ever pony dream
  2. Have you dreamed a pony related dream?
  3. Strangest pony dream?

Interestingly, the one you were pointed to in your topic (Pony related dreams you've had?) does NOT show in the results, despite clearly having "pony" and "dream" in its title, so yep, search engine be like

tomidk.png.fe6c3160aa5238c892ced0f31cb92ff3.png

Definitely one of these epic search moments where you're wondering if the search engine shouldn't be required to wear glasses. 

Alternatively, Google does the job better. If you'd search for

site:mlpforums.com "pony" "dream"

You'd get quite accurate results:

2023-03-18_18-32-53.thumb.png.3e2e55b5d8929a3b74002985506e3e32.png

So yeah, why the hay the forum's search couldn't find it, not even Twilight knows. e-twibigbrain.png.59f9651fa9ae93815fbd2e51e2fc697b.png

Of course, it is not to say, that you're required to do all of this before posting a topic, buuuuut searching isn't as pointless as it might seem, even tho it still kinda sux sometimes.

Exactly, Rikifive c: 
See? Now @EpicEnergygets to have ALLLLL the huugssssssss

• Brohoof 1

Yes, in fact any new activity is welcome. 

It's true that due to how long the forums were a thing vast majority of topics were already covered, but that doesn't mean You cannot talk about them anymore. 
If a thread about topic You wish to discuss is silent for few years then nobody will come to You and persecute You for not finding it. While, as @Rikifive has shown, deep search is an option, expecting everyone to do that instead of being active on the forums would be a ridiculous idea. 

The exception of course is making copies of threads that are currently active. 

Also - personally I believe making new threads for topics that weren't touched in years would be a neat idea if anyone is inclined to make these. That allows new users to freely express their opinions without having to look back on what was said before.

• Brohoof 3

Just to be clear, the current policy on this situation, and the only policy on this situation, and one of our longest standing changes is that duplicate topics are 100% acceptable. More to that they are encouraged

This was a change made in 2015, that was eight years ago. The only time we would act on duplicate topics is if one was literally just made, or if it’s a common topic that has a Mega-Thread. 

If there is a large 16 page topic buried in the site, you are not expected, as a user, to search for it. Most of the staff should want new content posted. Back then we used to tell users to “Just use the search” and that was an absurd response because the search is often unreliable. In fact Mods have the ability to use a tool to split off a overgrown topic because a large topic isn’t always a good thing. Most users won’t sit there are read a six years of history and then reply. Trying to direct people into these old topics sacrifices organic discussion, convenience, and fun for organization. 

Actually, that’s even a self defeating principle in some topics. In the FiM discussion there is a Best Pony topic that is pinned. It’s huge and the poll insufficient for an ongoing show with new characters always being introduced. 

We even have a Shipping mega thread, which is very curious because shipping is itself capable of being so many nuanced topics that while sharing the same proto idea of character romance, it almost stifles creativity by existing. 

@Star heart 777 post away! Be fruitful and multiply these honse threads. 

• Brohoof 5