Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Why was Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels) originally banned in the US?

FirePuppy

There is absolutely no sex, violence, horror, language, drugs, or gambling whatsoever in this game, and the ESRB wasn’t established until 1994. Nevertheless, the game was still banned anyway! How in Equestria did that happen?

I thought it was released, but (according to the box) only for super gamers!

That said, I was alive at the time, and I don't recall seeing The Lost Levels game anywhere---not until the Super Mario All-Stars game for the SNES, anyway!

For being too similar, and being much harder to the original, so they've skinned the game Doki Doki Panic with Mario characters and passed as SMB2. Some may get salty over it, but if not was for that we wouldn't be seeing Shy Guys, Bob-Ombs, Pokeys and Birdos as now classic Mario enemies 

Wasn’t banned, Nintendo just thought it was too hard for Americans, so they decided to repackage Doki Doki Panic instead, and honestly it was a much better game and List Levels felt like a shitty romhack

• Brohoof 1

As multiple other posters have said, the game was not banned. It just wasn't released outside of Japan. Now, if you want to legally get the game, it's included on the Super Mario All Stars compilation, which was originally released on the SNES and later ported to the Wii. That version actually isn't the original--it has improved graphics to fit the SNES.

I believe the original 8-bit version of the game is unlockable as part of the Game Boy Color port of Super Mario Bros., known as Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.

Honestly, if you want to play The Lost Levels, just play the All Stars version. It's easier to find, plus you get 3 or 4 other games (depending on which edition you buy).

• Brohoof 1

The Lost Levels was released in America as part of "Super Mario All-Stars" for the SNES. So technically it was never banned.

image.png.8836ba946ed7c9b64c11fbaaf915ae78.png image.jpeg.d07d0b95f31d33e3c63ae96f5b1a9012.jpeg

Just now, Prospekt said:

As multiple other posters have said, the game was not banned. It just wasn't released outside of Japan. Now, if you want to legally get the game, it's included on the Super Mario All Stars compilation, which was originally released on the SNES and later ported to the Wii. That version actually isn't the original--it has improved graphics to fit the SNES.

I believe the original 8-bit version of the game is unlockable as part of the Game Boy Color port of Super Mario Bros., known as Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.

Honestly, if you want to play The Lost Levels, just play the All Stars version. It's easier to find, plus you get 3 or 4 other games (depending on which edition you buy).

Hey, I was going to tell him about that! you Darn Ninja!:dry:

Edited by WiiGuy2014
Ninja
  • Brohoof 4

6 hours ago, Prospekt said:

Yes, mostly. The only differences are the environment graphics are reused from the original, instead of the new ones used by the original like the white multi-cap mushrooms in the background. Plus, if I remember well, the strong winds are absent as well. Dunno if worlds A through D are there though :huh:

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Yes, mostly. The only differences are the environment graphics are reused from the original, instead of the new ones used by the original like the white multi-cap mushrooms in the background. Plus, if I remember well, the strong winds are absent as well. Dunno if worlds A through D are there though :huh:

They are -- well, sort of. But only by using GameShark codes, of course, and the levels look like they’re unfinished.

9 hours ago, Prospekt said:

As multiple other posters have said, the game was not banned. It just wasn't released outside of Japan.

Originally!

• Brohoof 1

It wasn't banned, just never ported because Nintendo feared the game being too hard would hurt their reputation in America and other places. So they made a reskin of Doki Doki Panic which became the Super Mario Bros 2 we got in America, and I believe the rest of the world as well. Though The Lost Levels did surface outside Japan with Super Mario All Stars, and Super Mario Deluxe to name a few.

• 5 months later...

As other members have stated, the game wasn't originally released outside of Japan, due to it's jump in difficulty compared to the original Super Mario Bros..

Of course, it was given a vast improvement on Super Mario All-Stars on the Super Nintendo - Not to mention that the original game was released on the Virtual Console, several times.

• 5 years later...

It's good that it got released here regardless, but it's really for the best that we got Doki Doki Panic to SMB2 just the same.  Added Luigi's taller design, Peach's floating and various other enemies.

But also it was a good game.  A good licensed game and even ones based off the most recognizable properties don't get the same distribution amounts that iconic properties owned by a copy do.  Well licensed as far as those leads do.  So being made into a Mario game means it wasn't a good game that became a hidden gem.

Funny thing when you think about it is how both SMB2s are basically legit rom hacks so to speak.  The Japanese installment is the rom hack of the original made much harder, and the one alternatively Super Mario USA is the rom hack placing characters onto another.

• Sad 1

(edited)
22 hours ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

Played Lost Levels (SNES) in a hotel room, never got past 1-4:(  

For what it's worth, the SNES version the download on the 3DS virtual console is the only way I bother to play it due to saves.  Definitely don't have the patience or self-loathing to play it like the pros.

Oh and for fun, when I'm playing the USA Mario 2, this is the arrangement I use to get equal contribution credits for each character:
World 1: Toad (2x) and Luigi

World 2: Mario and Luigi (2x)

World 3: Toad, Mario and Peach

World 4: Peach (2x) and Mario

World 5: Luigi (2x) and Toad

World 6: Mario, Peach and Toad

World 7: Peach and Mario

Edited by Antiyonder

23 hours ago, Antiyonder said:

For what it's worth, the SNES version the download on the 3DS virtual console is the only way I bother to play it due to saves.  Definitely don't have the patience or self-loathing to play it like the pros.

Oh and for fun, when I'm playing the USA Mario 2, this is the arrangement I use to get equal contribution credits for each character:
World 1: Toad (2x) and Luigi

World 2: Mario and Luigi (2x)

World 3: Toad, Mario and Peach

World 4: Peach (2x) and Mario

World 5: Luigi (2x) and Toad

World 6: Mario, Peach and Toad

World 7: Peach and Mario

NSO version has a rewind feature as well

• Brohoof 1