Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Best and Worst Mario Levels

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Mario is a gaming icon, has been ever since his humble beginnings on the NES. Since then so many Mario platformers have been released it can make one's head spin. 2D, 3D, a sort of mix of the two, Mario has had a lot of games.

With such a huge collection of games with an even bigger collection of levels, it makes me wonder, what are your favorite and least favorite Mario levels? There are a lot to choose from, so have at it! :)

I will say one of my least favorite levels ever: Roy's Castle #5 from Super Mario World. While that level is short, the reliance on that moving platform is so irritating and brings the pace down to a halt. The boss itself is also 'meh' as he can be defeated incredibly fast. 

• Brohoof 1

Favorite is probably Egg Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy, there some feeling of awe I got when I played that level for the first time

Least favorite is definitely Secret of the Village Underside from Super Mario Sunshine, that level is some grade A bullshit

• Brohoof 2

My Favorite Level would be...any Level from Super Mario Bros 3 i think, i just love the Level Design and love the graphic Art and i played Super Mario Bros 3 the most.

I dont really have a Level i hate, but a particular Level in Super Mario World made me really frustrated, because i never figured out, where the secret ending was.

It was that one Red Level on the Bridge on the Over World Map.

• Brohoof 2

I dont really have a Level i hate, but a particular Level in Super Mario World made me really frustrated, because i never figured out, where the secret ending was.

It was that one Red Level on the Bridge on the Over World Map.

*Gets on his Wii U just to confirm.*  Cheese Bridge Area.  The secret exit is past the regular exit.  There are two ways that I know of to get behind it:

1. Yellow cape Mario can fly over the obstacles to the left of the first exit, dive at the last moment (under the bar that ends the level), and then bob back up and continue to the right.

2. Yellow cape Mario with Yoshi; this is a method that sacrifices Yoshi. xD  Get Yoshi past the obstacles near the first exit by flying / floating / bouncing Yoshi's invincible feet off the weird obstacles.  Float under the level ender and jump off Yoshi as soon as you get past it.  Continue to the right - and to the second exit.  If there's a way to do this with a blue Yoshi, I've never done it (I didn't see any swallow-able shells in the level).

• Brohoof 2

*Gets on his Wii U just to confirm.*  Cheese Bridge Area.  The secret exit is past the regular exit.  There are two ways that I know of to get behind it:

1. Yellow cape Mario can fly over the obstacles to the left of the first exit, dive at the last moment (under the bar that ends the level), and then bob back up and continue to the right.

2. Yellow cape Mario with Yoshi; this is a method that sacrifices Yoshi. xD  Get Yoshi past the obstacles near the first exit by flying / floating / bouncing Yoshi's invincible feet off the weird obstacles.  Float under the level ender and jump off Yoshi as soon as you get past it.  Continue to the right - and to the second exit.  If there's a way to do this with a blue Yoshi, I've never done it (I didn't see any swallow-able shells in the level).

Wow, than its really official my least favorite Mario Level.

I mean, how was i supposed to find this out?

Every other Red Level before this, had a Key you had to find and then you had to find a lock...why is it different on the Cheese Bridge ?

Thats really just cheap. Stupid Level.  :okiedokieloki:

But thanks for telling me.  :)

• Brohoof 1

I've played the hell out of every major Mario platformer since Super Mario Bros. on the NES, and there are a lot of levels I've really enjoyed (or were at least quite memorable):

Super Mario Bros: Stage 4-1.  It introduces that !@#$% Lakitu, flows nicely if you're speed-running (though the All-Stars remake messed with that somewhat), and it's a necessary stop on the quick Warp-reliant path to 8-1.  I'm also fond of any "flying fish" levels.  And, honestly, 1-1 and 1-2 are special stages for me.  They were the first two Mario levels I ever played, and the apparent contrast and change between the visuals and background music really stand out.

Super Mario Bros. 2 (JPN): Though they can be a pain, I like the levels with the crazy winds and leaves that give Mario a super long-jump assist.

Super Mario Bros. 3: Any "sinking city" levels with Big Boss.  I used to dread those as a kid; now I appreciate them.  Worlds 4 (Giant Land) and 5 (Sky Land); especially 5-3 (for Kuribo's Shoe) and 5-6 (for the fleet of ride-able Para-Beetles).

Super Mario World: Everything to do with the Star Road.  And I used to enjoy Ghost Houses far more back then; they were a novelty at the time.

Super Mario 64: Bob-Omb Battlefield.  Yes, I realize it was accessible at the very start of the game, but that's the level I played on the Nintendo 64 in a display at Sears.  Music is catchy as all get-out, too.

Super Mario Sunshine: All of the "Secret of the [something or Other]" levels.  They took your precious FLUDD away (though I still think FLUDD was a clever tweaking of the Mario formula), and they expected you to contend with some of the trickier platforming challenges in the game.  Also: Ripping tentacles off of Gooper Blooper in Ricco Harbor.  What the hell kind of Mario game am I playing??!? xD

Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2: I can't even.  These games were actually too good and set the bar too high.  Gusty Garden Galaxy and Toy Time Galaxy (SMG1) come to mind, and Throw Back Galaxy (SMG2) recreated Whomp's Fortress from Super Mario 64.

Super Mario 3D World: This game was creatively brilliant.  Beep Block Skyway (with the blocks that disappear or reappear and the Double Cherry items that duplicate whoever you're playing), the trains and circus levels, Hands-On Hall (the one with the clearly Asian-inspired theme)...  Not since Super Mario 64 has there been a Mario game with near as much variety to its levels.

Least favorite levels?  Just about any underwater ones.  I don't like being slowed down that much in a Mario game.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Jolly Roger Bay has been my favourite for a very long time. It carries this indescribable sense of adventure and that's accompanied with a really beautiful song. I generally hate water levels in video games, but that's mostly because this level set a very high standard.

Least favourite has to be those rolling ball levels in the Galaxy. The controls are hot garbage. I don't mind motion controls, but they do not work with the ball.

My favorite Mario level (of course assuming ftom platformers) has to be Bob-Omb Battlefield. I really think it's a great first level and does it's job well. It has plenty of easy stars, though there's some complex enough so it doesn't just give you all its stars for existing. Plus the theme is CLASSIC. Though I really like Jolly Roger Bay as well. 

My least favorite Mario level has to be... I'll just say EVERY SIDE-SCROLLING LEVEL THAT FREAKING KILLS YOU WHEN YOU GO TOO FAR TO THE LEFT. That whole mechanic is extremely frustrating and I found it killing me a LOT in Super Mario World.

My favorite..... Honeylune Ridge Escape. It’s unusual for a Mario game to finish with a level instead of a boss. But damn, what a way to end a game. That’s some epic Stuff, specially when this good shit starts playing :mlp_icwudt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-kHwRuk9U0

My least favorite..... it’s not a single level, it’s an awful concept spamming several levels in both Galaxies. Forget the no fail lilypad and boat in Sunchine, forget 8-3 and 8-4 in Lost Levels, forget the use of WII’s trademark gimmicky controls with the ball and ball, forget Luigi’s Purple coins; no there’s a greater evil than any of those: ideas recycling, mainly in the form of Prankster Comets :dry:. Worse than battling a bad design, it having to repeat a same level, with only a form of handicap as a difference, and it was another evidence that Nintendo focused on gimmicks more than making your money’s worth full-priced games :unamused:

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

For my favourite, that would have to be Freezeflame Galaxy from, of course, Mario Galaxy:wub: It's so satisfying to skate around!!

As for my LEAST favourite, well, uh...Rainbow Run from 3D World or literally ANYTHING from Mario Bros. Wii:dry:

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, ToastedScone said:

For my favourite, that would have to be Freezeflame Galaxy from, of course, Mario Galaxy:wub: It's so satisfying to skate around!!

Freezeflame had the only Cosmic Mario race that I legitimately enjoyed. Now that I think about it, Galaxy had some really amazing and creative stages.

• Brohoof 1

Super Mario 64 contains both my favorite and most dreaded.

Favorite: Dire Dire Docks, I love the aesthetic and the music; I could totally get lost in that level 

Hated: That last Bowser hole before the final encounter. There's SO MANY THINGS trying to kill you and there is no room to screw up. It just stresses me out 

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Pastel-chan said:

Super Mario 64 contains both my favorite and most dreaded.

Favorite: Dire Dire Docks, I love the aesthetic and the music; I could totally get lost in that level 

Hated: That last Bowser hole before the final encounter. There's SO MANY THINGS trying to kill you and there is no room to screw up. It just stresses me out 

Pah. Getting through The last Bowser hole is easy. It's letting go of Bowser's tail at the right time to send him flying to a bomb, that's the actual worst part

I like 8-6 in New Super Mario Bros. DS, a rising lava volcano level, because it is the only level that uses screen horizontal wrapping. A very unique effect that has its root from the original arcade Super Mario Brothers where if you run over the edge of the screen, you will show up on the other side of the screen, and so will the enemies.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 years later...