Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Best/worst Christmas songs.

CastletonSnob

The only one i have in my Memory right now, is the...uh...forgot the Name...that one Christmas Song, used in old Coke Commercials, thats a good one.

And " Last Christmas, i gave you my Heart " is probably the worst for me.

I like most Christmas songs, one of my favourites is:

(I don't think it's well known outside of Britain and Ireland)

I don't like:

Something about the kid just pisses me off. I don't really like the song either.

• Brohoof 1

Best - Carol of the Bells by the Trans Siberian Orchestra

Worst - That Justin Beiber one posted above, or that one by Ariana Grande

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 5

I think the best christmas song is "Silver Bells" or "It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas". I couldn't pick one, they're both really heartwarming.

As for the worst, I've never been a fan of the little drummer boy regardless of who's singing it. I'm not sure why, I think it might be too repetitive for my liking.

I'm not the biggest fan of Christmas songs so I won't write down any that I dislike, since I don't want to look up any of them.

That said, I never get tired of "Fairytale of New York" by The Pogues and Kirsty Maccoll. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

I pretty much like any of the centuries old Christian Christmas carols.

Brass ensembles playing them are great, too. They remind me of my childhood.

I suppose my least favorites would be contemporary gospel-pop like "Mary Did You Know?". My mom loves that song, but I think it's boring and generic. Modern pop covers of the classics can also be terrible. Including Taylor Swift's cover of Last Christmas which is incredibly dull, no emotion to be found in any aspect of that performance. There was also a really bad cover of John Lennon's "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" that I had the misfortune of having to hear every five minutes at work last year. I don't even remember anything about it, except it was really bad. >.>

• Brohoof 2

I actually have heard very few Christmas songs, but from the ones I know, I guess Winter Wonderland and It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas are my favorites.

I've never really had any least favorite Christmas songs, but if I had to choose, then it would be that Justin Bieber one mentioned above.

• Brohoof 1

My favourite Christmas song is Band-Aid though it's the original 1980s version that I love to listen. As for a least favourite one... I don't really listen to enough other Christmas songs to be able to come up with an answer.

All of them are the worst, at least in my opinion. Christmas music just irritates me.

Well, I say all of them are the worst... there is ONE that is worth my time: Reuben's "Christmas Is Awesome". Too bad it isn't as well known as other songs of similar ilk.

Edited by Vocal Analyst

My favorite, by far, is "Somewhere In My Memory" by the inimitable John Williams for the immortal Home Alone. The vocal performance is stirring, the instrumentals are powerful, and the melody is classic and is sprinkled throughout the film. I'd also give mention to "Believe" from The Polar Express, and "It Doesn't Have to Be This Way" by Jim Croce, a relatively low-key Christmas love song. The best standards albums, IMO, are by the Ray Conniff Singers and Phil Spector, although I'd love to hear more Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Red Army Choir, and I'd list Burl Ives' "Holly Jolly Christmas" from the original 1964 Rudolph as a guilty pleasure. I find it to be a nice kitsch piece, and though I'm not a big fan of the '64 Rudolph as much as I used to be, this song definitely puts pretty much any track from the '98 version to shame and back again. Honorable mention also goes to Bryan Adams' Christmas Time, great sound even if the lyrics are a little cheesy.

As far as the worst;

• "Baby, It's Cold Outside". The male part in this song is a flippin' creep.
  • "Santa Baby". Blind materialism and possible sexual undertones.
  • "Last Christmas" (Wham!). Nothing says Christmas cheer like an upbeat 80s synth-pop song about heartbreak. Just leave the damn guy already.
  • "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas". I personally find the melody annoying and the lyrics horribly dated.
  • Most of Mannheim Steamroller's album. It sounds like the soundtrack of an instructional VHS.
  • "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus". Eww.
  • "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". Why was this song popular?
  • "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer". The only thing worse than that song was the incredibly lazy 2000 TV special it inspired, and the only thing worse than the TV special is the fact that the CW and Cartoon Network continue to show it every year.
  • Most instrumental performances of "Sleigh Ride". The fake horse noises make it worse.
Edited by Fifty Grinches
  • Brohoof 1

I love Christmas music. My favorites are the older "classics" such as the songs performed by Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra as well as the more traditional songs such as Stille Nacht etc.

All that needs to happen is for it too snow, It's been too warm  :blush:

Edit: How could I have forgotten this album?  :please:

Edited by Brightbart
  • Brohoof 1

every song from the muppets christmas carol!!!!

but now i live with a real scrooge (somebody isnt keen on christmas), my fave christmas song is his least fave XP and thats the typical Fairytale of New York.

I also love

Last Christmas, 2000 Miles, (nobody wants to be) All alone on Christmas, Christmas time (don't let the bells end), a spaceman came travelling, santa baby (the original) and proper crimbo.

least fave ones ummm... lemme think..... oh i know, like all the reboots of Band Aid. the original one is the only one worth listening to. 

can I also point out that every Christmas album and playlist HAS to start with John and Yoko's Christmas song. "SO THIS IS CHRISTMAS"

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Nostalgia mode activate! One of the most wonderful holiday songs that I looked forward to every single year, was 'The Very First Christmas' from the first Spongebob Christmas special. The amount of joy I feel when I listen to this always gets me in the holiday mood, even if I am feeling down. Shame that immediately after this song, the episode goes downhill drastically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg7Dbwft9Wk

That one is my absolute favorite Christmas related song.

As for least favorites, I was in choir in High School, it was enjoyable for what it is, but some of the songs were soooooo damn preachy, it was annoying. Some of the songs were still composed very well but the lyrics were...ugh. Very pro-christian, pretty much anti-anything else.

• Brohoof 1

There are a lot of Christmas songs I really enjoy, there are a few bad ones out there, but none that I can recall off the top of my head (probably a good thing).

I like the non-Red Army Choir ones too of course. :P

Just about any Charlie Brown song is also a nostalgia trip. 

On the satirical side,there is the Payday 2 Christmas stuff, though I'll admit there is only one I rather enjoy from that. (Disclaimer: Contains Vulgarity).

"Baby, It's Cold Outside". The male part in this song is a flippin' creep.

Somehow I completely forgot about that song. Yes, it's awful! It's entirely built around violating consent, and then there's the drink line... But don't tell that to anyone that loves the song, they'll make excuses. >.>

I'm going to have to disagree with you in regards to Wham's Last Christmas and Bryan Adams' Christmas Time. I understand that maybe "Last Christmas" doesn't exactly feel like a Christmas song, but it is a nice, memorable song in its own right. And I say that being a very outspoken individual in disliking most 80s music. Bryan Adams' Christmas Time is just boring. It's just a bland song with a very bland instrumentation and sound overall that feels like Christmas is slapped on as an afterthought.

But that's just my opinion.

Anyway, an unpopular opinion incoming: I'm not really fond of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Their music has never done anything for me. The same goes for Pentatonix.

Mannheim Steamroller gets a pass from me (at least on some songs, not others lol) because I do find some of their arrangements to be pretty and interesting. I'll make it no secret that I'm no fan of synthesizers and Mannheim Steamrollers uses them aplenty, but they do also use live instruments such as brass instruments and oboe and English horn.

Their rendition of Veni Veni is particularly interesting:

• Brohoof 1

Best Christmas Song? That's a tough one, I'd have to think about that for a while.

Worst Christmas song on the other hand, I'd have to go with "All I want for Christmas is you." It's just SO ANNOYING!!!!!!

Best:  Is...

"Simply having a wonderful Christmastime

Simply having a wonderful Christmastime
The choir of children sing their song
Ding dong, ding dong
Ding dong, ding ooo
Ooo ooo toot toot toot toot toot toot
We're simply having a wonderful Christmastime
Simply having a wonderful Christmastime!"

Worst; Santa baby. god somebody get rid of it. 

Edited by Satrox

• 6 years later...

For me the best is the song about Santa that Insane Clown Posse did. The one Steel Panther did is pretty funny too. I like that one as well lmao. Uh….Eric Cartman’s version of O Holy Night was pretty funny I liked it. 

Everything else I pretty much don’t like. I can’t even pick a worst. Not a fan of Christmas music unless it’s funny.