Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How expensive is it to have pet dragon

BronyTrucker

Recent topic gave me this idea. We see Spike eating gems all the time. We know gems are pretty common in Equestria, just look how many can Rarity or Maud find in short time, so nobody probably thinks much about it, but in Just for sidekicks we saw Spike giving just a small fragment to CMC and they were able to buy huge industrial blower for that. So what do you think, how much does Spike aet, and are other dragons most wealthy beeings in Eguestria? 

Slight deviation, but you've reminded me of an idea I had soon after seeing Spike eating gems - which is, that at one time say in our own world gems were plentiful, and so were dragons, BUT eventually they ate almost all the gems, and so died out, and is also why gems are now so rare and valuable.

The gems and dragons link seems quite common - there is a Moomintroll story where one of the characters (Sniff I think) finds a cave full of garnets, tries to collect as many as possible to take out, but also wants the two extra big ones glowing in the dark at the back, unfortunately these are not garnets but the eyes of the dragon whose hoard this belongs to. Obviously Sniff has to make a run for it, and without any garnets. The dragon does not pursue, instead scrapes all the garnets back together again and climbs onto the pile to guard it. Which also reminds me weren't there loads of gems in the dragon's cave in Season 1 ep 7, Dragonshy?

It does bother me that gems can be used as currency, but at the same time dragons eat them. So like, the value of the surviving ones keeps going up?

Edited by Tropical Melody
Typos!