Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cheap or Expensive

Swift Marquis

For me, it's not about cheap or expensive.. It's about whether or not I can eat what they serve or not, and seeing as there is an excessively small amount of food I can actually eat, that poses quite a bit problem.

I've never done casual dating, though. I think that's for the best. I think I'd lose them immediately on this factor alone. T.T The poor individual who dated me extensively... "Where do you want to eat this time?" "Um... Well, you'll only eat at these two places..." "Right... =("

(edited)

I'm of the mind that I'd rather not pay $200-$300 for "atmosphere" when I could just as easily get as good, if not better food from eating in a small place that doesn't charge an arm and a leg. Especially on a first date, since not only is that just as likely to scare her away by making you look pretentious, but if things don't go well, then you've just burned a hole in your wallet for nothing.

Going to a place like that once in a blue moon with someone you've been seeing for a while, especially if it's to celebrate something makes more sense. 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 2

My first date with my wife was at a cheap diner, and I was a douche and let her pay...somehow she still married me. 

First dates are about getting to know the person and should be a bit more casual...but that's just me;

you can save the expensive stuff for during the relationship and special occasions. Even now, we have a mix of both...a cheap pizza date we had last week, or the $300 dinner we had a few months ago (it was worth it...but it was a once in 10 years kind of experience).

Anything that is beneficial to my date and my wallet is good in my book. I'm not too picky on any cheap or expensive places going out to eat or staying side and order pizza, my route goes towards ordering pizza. :grin:

I generally don't like expsensive restraunts. They're usually too formal. I prefer a meal at the pub down the road, It's nice, the food's lovely, it's not that expsensive and the pub is nice and clean, but still a pub.

I'd enjoy the less expensive option. Usually somewhere in between is a perfect date spot, like breakfast at a diner. Give me 24 hour breakfast food and I'm a happy gal! Things are less formal at those places so I feel you can get to know each other better. Although I am a sucker for dressing up real nice and playing 'rich' for a night though. :nom:

I had my first date with my girl, sitting at home, watching Ferris Buellers day off and fear and loathing in las vegas, while i ordered a pizza.

Sometimes, less is more people. ;)

(edited)

I'd be happy doing it a cheap but comfortable pizza parlor. I probably wouldn't even wear makeup. It just seems unnecessary do have a first date be at a fancy restaurant and besides I've never been to a fancy restaurant so I wouldn't know what to do with myself, if it's at a cheap place and the date goes bad, i can run away faster. XD

Edited by vivishy
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheap.

I mean, I'm a cheap and easy date to begin with. Sure an expensive restaurant sounds nice, but I'd much rather go to somewhere like Kelsey's or Smitty's. I'd feel less guilty as well eating at the less expensive restaurants..Heck I'd even more rather go to an A&W or Tim Horton's for a date. I mean, so long as we can talk or whatever I'm happy.

Sure they may be able to afford an expensive restaurant the first time, but then, a normal person would expect similar stuff while going out with them..expensive gifts, other expensive dates..etcetera. I'd rather go to a cheaper place to eat and just be used to average stuff.That way when/if they do "spluge" on me...I'll actually appreciate it more because it was just something out of the ordinary. Where as expensive stuff all the time, you don't really appreciate it as much.

Edited by Flutter Baby <3

It would depend on what companion I'm with, I wouldn't mind going to either one but I tend to not be hungry after two hours after going to the Pizza place.

If I were going out on a date with somebody for the first time, I'd save up money to go to somewhere elegant and gourmet. I don't want my date to think I always go to cheap restaurants, because that'll affect my impression on said person. I want her (I'm straight) to think that I'm not cheap when it comes to going out to eat. Though, it is alright to have some good ol' McDonalds from time to time.

• 4 years later...

It really depends, but I'm a fan of steakhouse dates. They're right in that middle range of cheap vs expensive, usually a steak dinner isn't gonna run you more than $80. It doesn't feel like you're being cheap, but it also isn't overly fanciful and proper or whatever. It's a steakhouse. :p

Plus steak is excellent.

At an expensive dinner, you feel more obligated to act politely and with good manners. At someplace cheap, like a pizza place, it really doesn't matter as long as you're not a slob, so you can focus more on actually having fun together, which is kind of the whole point of a date.

Then again, for something like an anniversary that's special and only comes around every so often, I can see the appeal of a more expensive restaurant. I'd still prefer something fun, though. Maybe skip the dinner and see what else there is to do in town. Maybe go to the fair if it's the right time of year? Someplace like that is my ideal date. Lots of fun, decent food, great time for bonding.

Sometimes an upmarket restaurant is a good place for a date night - even if it isn't the first date. Dress up a little, good food and maybe a fancy wine. There was a really nice curry place I liked to go with my last special somepony; it isn't so much about the price/cost, as making a special occasion out of it, and going to a pizza place wouldn't feel the same.

I think I’d always pick cheap cause what’s the point in luxurious sure it’s fancy and all but that just feels greedy to me

• Brohoof 1

I like to impress the girl, so everywhere that’s really nice and fancy. But not too expensive like 5 stars. I would never take my date anywhere cheap as a fast food on our first date. I don’t want her to think I'm cheap and rather someone who put in the effort to make this date at least nice. To me, it's not about me or how much I want to save money. It's about making it worthwhile. 

• 3 years later...