Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you read the MLP comics?

MidnightDawn

I stopped reading them early last year because they started getting a bit too expensive for me to order physical copies online and shipped to my location. But, I still keep tabs on them out of a sense of curiosity, wondering where they will take the series next.

• Brohoof 1

@MidnightDawn

I hid the image in the spoiler tag. Please be careful with that as that series is still ongoing.

Thanks. :)

• Brohoof 1

I only do so when there's a good story arc. As example, the recent one I'm reading  is The Nightmare Knight series. 

• Brohoof 1

I swear I saw plenty of them at the local bookshop, but I just didn't have the courage to check it out, mainly because I was wondering if that was a weird thing to do (a teenage boy wandering around the little girl section)

• 5 months later...

I read the first 20 or so, but the deviation from the show's tone and logic made me lose interest. The alternate dimension thing in "Reflections" was enough for me. I really enjoyed the art style and the hidden features in each panel. But the stories just don't mesh well with the show. And sometimes the comic says "I happen around this time" but then less than a year later the show says "that's not possible." At that point, what's the point of reading them?

@Brony_2A I only read through Reflections. But in that comic series in particular, Starswirl is present before and after Celestia banishes Luna, whereas in the show, he disappeared long before that. It's also implied that Celestia was "young" when she banished Luna, but later the show reveals she'd been alive for at least 100 years before that.

In the one with flashbacks to Shining and Cadance's high school, which is said to be one year after Canterlot Wedding, the setting is supposed to be at the same time as the comic where Big Mac tries to find some tools for his gazebo, which is during "summer wrap up." But Canterlot Wedding has to be way before late summer for various reasons.

They're good stories with great art, but since they don't entirely line up with the show, it's hard to enjoy them alongside the show, as opposed to being their own thing. I've heard they've tried to be more consistent recently though.

Edited by Zestanor

I’m on and off with them. Their early run was pretty good but then they got really high off their rocker and thought they could do no wrong which led us to crap like The Good The Bad The Ponies, Reflections and The Root of the Problem. Nowadays I enjoy their small Slice Of Life stuff but I think the epic adventure arcs are crap. Their micro series were really hit and miss and kinda disappointing overall, but I liked Friends Forever for the most part and I really wish they’d bring it back 

Edited by This Whomps

I still read the comics and like them. The only arcs of the main series that ever struck me as truly mediocre/bad territory were The Good, The Bad, and The Ponies and The Root of the Problem. Everything else in the main series is either okay or just lacking at worst in my eyes, speaking as someone who is up to Tempest's Tale, one of the best arcs to me. Haven't read any of the side series though, with the exception of the slightest bit of Friends Forever and FIENDship is Magic. Nightmare Knights does sound really cool though, I have to confess. 

• 3 months later...

I do! I actually like them because they're weird and willing to do bold, out there stuff. I love the show to death, but they would never do something as crazy as, say, Reflections. The aforementioned Reflections, along with Siege of the Crystal Empire (and Fiendship #1, which to me is a crucial part of the story) are my favorite of the major arcs. There was a period in my life where I was kind of obsessed with Siege and Fiendship #1, and read them, like, 10 times. Okay, well, I'm still kind of obsessed with them, to be honest.

Of the smaller arcs, Tempest's Tale is easily my favorite. It's a fantastic little character study with some of the best dialouge in all of MLP. It's a small part of the story, but the Tempest/Cadance dynamic fascinates me. And that kind of loops me back around to what I like about the comics in the first place; where else would you see Tempest and Cadance interacting? IMO, they do so much unique stuff that adds so much to the world. Do they have problems and bad issues? Of course. When you're doing off-the-wall stuff all the time, not all of it is going to land. That's just the nature of it. For me, the fun, interesting, unique stuff is worth it. (And that's not even getting in to the art! It's always so good!)

Other favorite comics: Friends Forever #8, (Hilarious. The Applejack expressions alone are worth the price of admission) FF #10, Legends of Magic, Nightmare Knights.