Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When you think of Outer Space

heavens-champion

• 3 months later...

I think of the unimaginable size of it and wonder how big it is, specifically in relation to the observable universe. I'm of the mind that the universe can't be infinite, that it must end somewhere. And then I wonder what it looks like at the very edge of the universe.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Sherbie said:

That the LORD was able to make so much beauty in only 7 days

The Bible says it was in 6 days :yay: (and that he rested on the 7th, hence the sabbath).

Edited by Methuselah

If you think about it hard enough you actually freak out! I've actually had panic attacks just thinking about how truly insignificant we truly are in the grand scope of the universe, the fact that in comparison to the massive size of the universe we are but a quirk (smallest form of matter). 

On 1/8/2019 at 2:28 PM, heavens-champion said:

What comes to mind when you think of Outer Space?

How infinitely small we are compared to the cosmos. :wau:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I literally cry sometimes just from all the thoughts if the unknown! I mean think about the possibilities! I have literally almost made myself pass out before just trying to get my mind to comprehend it all! 

Star wars is what I thought. Fascinating space is I am determined in getting our species into outer space is why I am going to devote my neet time to discovering an anti gravitational matter if you have a lot of free time you have no excuse not to.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 4/14/2020 at 8:16 AM, Sherbie-kun said:

That the LORD was able to make so much beauty in only 6 days

And even then - He could've just done it all in a millisecond, but presumably chose to take His time because symbolism.

Edited by Antagonist

2 hours ago, Antagonist said:

And even then - He could've just done it all in a millisecond, but presumably chose to take His time because symbolism.

Setting an example for the week and all that.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Planet 7 has the unfortunate fate of a name that is easily interpreted as a one-word pun in English. I wish its name would be changed to Ouranos.

Which is weird. Why do we keep the name Uranus? We badly pronounce a bad German transposition of a English transliteration of a Greek name. A more direct modern English transliteration of the name would be Ouranos (Oo-ran-ohs ).

Now you'd think this isn't a big deal. Who cares?

Well for one thing, the IAU has demonstrated before that they care more about technically good science than they do about popular perception: they were willing to demote Pluto in order to define "planet".

For another, there is a disproportionately smaller number of scientific papers about Uranus than there are about literally every other planet. Some people think that's because of its name. Even the smaller number of papers about Uranus also contain puns and jokes, like probing, and methane coming from it etc.

I don't exactly know. I like to watch the stars at night though. If you think about it, looking at the sky at night you are looking directly into infinite, when the atmosphere is transparent enough for it to show the true endless above. They are so far away and is still the closest things we have. 

I like to see the moon and how round it is. How "3D" it looks. And how small it looks like being so big thinking how far it has to be to look so tiny and still look very clear despite all that. How it can have a shadow like that. 

I think of how we are always moving in one of our galaxy's arm and I think of the massive black hole that is at it's center. How there's so many weird things out there.