Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So what do you think of Sia (Songbird Serenade)?

Cirrus.

So I'm definitely not a fan of the current US Pop Scene (I know she's Australian). I don't live under a rock either though.

Even before the movie I've heard of her. She had already adopted her iconic 2-tone wig/bow by the first time I saw her.  I thought she was another name on the list trying to get more fame/attention by being a moron.:baconmane: (recalling Lady Gaga wearing RAW MEAT).

Other than that I didn't give her much thought until I saw that she would be in the MLP movie. I became more interested and looked up some of her bio/songs/interviews.

She seems to be A LOT like Tabitha St. Germain from what I've found, especially in interviews. They both seem to LOVE colorful weird stuff are both pretty much like Pinkie Pie in human form. :mlp_laugh:

As for the wig thing, the big reason why she started wearing it was due to her growing fame. She's actually kinda shy and has it so she can go out with it off and not get mobbed. Opposite of what I originally thought.^_^ This avoidance of fame also spawned her Mini-Me-Proxy portrayed by Maddie Ziegler (This I do think is kinda weird.) It's actually genius because Sia really isn't into the performing/fame aspect, so the arrangement works out. 

Overall I think she's is one of the more interesting pop stars at the moment. She also seems to be a genuine person.

As for Songbird Serenade in the movie- I thought it was kind of funny to put her in there, but the movie would have been exactly the same without her.

Her music is not the norm of what I usually listen to, but I think she has a great and unique voice. She is extremely talented in coming up with catchy pop songs and isn't shy about how easy it is for her:

sialivesm.jpg.e852c07a95604558077ceb4e37c3cbe0.jpg

My favorite thing she said is

"I just basically write pop songs for pop stars (in like 30 minutes), sit at home on my sofa with my three dogs, and like make a million dollars."

I LOVE IT:laugh::umad:

Some of her songs I like are Rainbow, Cheap Thrills, You've Changed, Clap Your Hands, Thunderclouds, and most of her Christmas album

So what do you guys think of any of the below?:

• Her personally
  • Her as a pop star
  • Her music
  • Having her in the movie
  • Her wig
  • Her Mini-Me
  • Does she like the show/movie? (I think she would- but I don't think she has much free time)

sia.png.0e35082693240e8cd2b9552141de6ee9.png

Edited by Cirrus.

Well, I do live under a rock, and I don't know anything about her beyond what we saw in the movie. Having her there was a crass marketing move, her songs  and general existence had nothing to do with the movie's plot, although at least they kept her involvement to a minimum. I'm not into pop, and I didn't care for her music in the movie.

Of course, the movie wasn't all that great to begin with.

Cute pony design, though.

I think she's a great singer, but she really didn't need to be in the movie. As others point out, her role was unnecessary to the plot and felt more like a marketing ploy.

I like the song 'Rainbow' itself, though. I'm sure it didn't ruin the movie or anything. It's just that the mood of the song didn't match well with the overall light-heartedness of the movie. The fact that Zootopia had a very similar ending didn't help either, as it kind of made it seem as if they copied the story. I'm quite sure that isn't the case as having a concert at the ending is nothing extraordinary, but it still feels weird when the ending is exactly the same as a super-popular movie made by Disney. :kindness:

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Cirrus. said:

Mini-Me-Proxy portrayed by Maddie Ziegler (This I do think is kinda weird.)

I think you do young Maddie a serious dis-service. She is a remarkable dancer. I like the fact that her dance is the visual focus in videos performed by Sia. Sia's voice and Maddie's dance complement each other nicely. I do admit that I knew virtually nothing about Sia until after I saw the movie. I have since become a bit of a fan. I really like how her pony persona wore the same wig and bow as Sia typically wears in public. I wish that they included a filly dancer as a Maddie analog in the movie, instead of a generic bunch of background pony dancers. That would have been wonderful! 

• Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I think you do young Maddie a serious dis-service. She is a remarkable dancer. I like the fact that her dance is the visual focus in videos performed by Sia. Sia's voice and Maddie's dance complement each other nicely. I do admit that I knew virtually nothing about Sia until after I saw the movie. I have since become a bit of a fan. I really like how her pony persona wore the same wig and bow as Sia typically wears in public. I wish that they included a filly dancer as a Maddie analog in the movie, instead of a generic bunch of background pony dancers. That would have been wonderful! 

I don't think Maddie is weird. I know she's a very good dancer and that Sia makes sure that the spotlight doesn't get too much for her. I just think think it's a little weird that Sia has her wig/bow AND a "SIa Jr." to boot. I'm not saying it's bad- just odd.

siajr.png.3833f79048f3cc6d9803a82d05465665.png

I like Songbird's design at the very least, it looks so dopey. XD The character obviously had no place in the movie whatsoever, but I doubt it would have been any better without her anyways. The movie simply had far too many problems. As for Sia herself, while I don't have much of an opinion on her being a musician, I do find her personal story a bit interesting. Apparently some years ago, she was hardcore contemplating suicide and was really depressed, despite her success, going as far to write a suicide note for her family. She somehow fought her way out of that. I don't know what it feels like to fight out of depression as it is a battle I am constantly losing, so I respect her for that at least.

I don't think she was bad, per se, but given we already had a "biggest pony popstar in equestria" in Coloratura, who's voice actress is known to be a pegasister and did very well indeed in her previous showing, I think it was wrong not to give her the opportunity to be in the movie.

But, as we saw with GlimGlam, it is fair to assume far too much was set in stone seasons ago to modify it to take into account the ever moving equestrian story....

• Brohoof 2

On 2/16/2019 at 11:18 AM, qwerE said:

I think she's a great singer, but she really didn't need to be in the movie. As others point out, her role was unnecessary to the plot and felt more like a marketing ploy.

I like the song 'Rainbow' itself, though. I'm sure it didn't ruin the movie or anything. It's just that the mood of the song didn't match well with the overall light-heartedness of the movie. The fact that Zootopia had a very similar ending didn't help either, as it kind of made it seem as if they copied the story. I'm quite sure that isn't the case as having a concert at the ending is nothing extraordinary, but it still feels weird when the ending is exactly the same as a super-popular movie made by Disney. :kindness:

Haha Sia is one of the writers of that Zootopia song :laugh:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Songbird didn't take away from the movie one bit. Sure, her presence was likely a little forced, but it didn't stand out to me as awful. I find her design unbelievably adorable and I think she should come back in a future episode. At the end, I rather enjoyed her. Seems I'm in a bit of a minority there... xD

16 hours ago, The Historian said:

Songbird didn't take away from the movie one bit. Sure, her presence was likely a little forced, but it didn't stand out to me as awful. I find her design unbelievably adorable and I think she should come back in a future episode. At the end, I rather enjoyed her. Seems I'm in a bit of a minority there... xD

I thought the parallel between her and her OC was too accurate. It was enough that it yanked me out of the immersion. I didn't have a problem with the general idea (though I would've probably been happier if Coloratura showed up again, especially since "Rainbow" feels a lot like a love song to the fandom in the same way that "Magic Inside" did). I like the song. Sometimes it's brought me close to tears. I have no problem with Sia. Just, it was really on the same level as that Aerosmith insert in Polar Express. It didn't seem like a ponysona at all and more like a direct "drag and drop." Comparitively, Cheese Sandwich didn't rub me the wrong way in the slightest; maybe because it felt like Weird Al was actually playing a character instead of... himself?

On 2/16/2019 at 8:13 AM, Cirrus. said:

So I'm definitely not a fan of the current US Pop Scene (I know she's Australian). I don't live under a rock either though.

Even before the movie I've heard of her. She had already adopted her iconic 2-tone wig/bow by the first time I saw her.  I thought she was another name on the list trying to get more fame/attention by being a moron.:baconmane: (recalling Lady Gaga wearing RAW MEAT).

As for the wig thing, the big reason why she started wearing it was due to her growing fame. She's actually kinda shy and has it so she can go out with it off and not get mobbed. Opposite of what I originally thought.^_^ This avoidance of fame also spawned her Mini-Me-Proxy portrayed by Maddie Ziegler (This I do think is kinda weird.)

Overall I think she's is one of the more interesting pop stars at the moment. She also seems to be a genuine person.

As for Songbird Serenade in the movie- I thought it was kind of funny to put her in there, but the movie would have been exactly the same without her.

I'm not a big fan of her type of music but I do think she has a very good voice and like "Rainbow" and 2 of her other songs: "Cheap Thrills" and "You've Changed"

It's interesting hearing that you're not a fan of pop, being that it's the most represented genre in MLP proper. Really that's even bothered me a few times because it's kept us from seeing Dash ever do Metal (she is so blatantly a metalhead, especially the EQG variant).

Lady Gaga though, really isn't that different from Sia as far as wacky wardrobe. Once you attain a certain level of power, you stop asking yourself "why?" and instead ask, "Why not?" Michael Jackson used to be like that too. I don't know much about Sia, but Lady Gaga is an incredibly down-to-Earth person, and very sweet. As an artist though, eccentric as all getup, and when she wants to make a point, she'll figure out a way to draw attention to it (that suit wasn't actually made of meat though, as much as the press wanted you to think otherwise - that would've been a safety nightmare, and it would've weighed a ton).

I agree though, it did very much seem like Sia was brought into the movie JUST to gain some meta-interest. Instead of simply being a set-piece/curiosity, I thought she was going to have some influence on the plot, even if was as simple as bucking Storm King in the groin at a critical moment. I would've liked to see her have a chance to do more. With the way Twilight was freaking out at the beginning of the story, as another character with experience in putting together extremely elaborate last-minute  productions and likely having panic attacks while doing so, it would've been cool if Songbird showed up and tried to get her to relax.

(edited)
On 3/15/2019 at 11:13 AM, BornAgainBrony said:

-It's interesting hearing that you're not a fan of pop. being that it's the most represented genre in MLP proper.

-I would've liked to see her have a chance to do more.

The music in MLP I find tolerable and think it is very well done for what it is- but It's not something i have on my iPod- LOL.

I do really like "Apples To the Core", "Seeds Of the Past", and the song "Days Gone By" (from some holiday album thing.)

I generally like the more rock/alternative side of pop and some random really poppy earworm songs (like You've Changed by Sia.)

It would have been cool if they would've done mote with her Songbird character. In interviews and by seeing some of her older music videos it seems like she is a goofy fun person.:mlp_laugh:

Edited by Cirrus.