Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv 2021 could be the end for the Simpsons

SaburoDaimando

And you can blame Disney on this one

The beloved cartoon airs on Fox, which renewed the show for another two seasons taking it through to 2021.

However Fox recently merged with Disney, and there are some concerns the company could cancel shows it doesn't see as 'family friendly'.

Yeardley Smith – who voices Lisa Simpson – has revealed that The Simpsons creators would rather "cancel" the show than allow Disney to alter its legacy.

Speaking to the Hollywood Reporter, she said: "When you're dealing with something that is still so culturally relevant, and sort of such a pillar of our culture...

"If you're going to mess with that, that's some pretty risky territory.

“So my feeling is — and I could be completely wrong — is that they would cancel it before they would change it [creatively]."

Disney has yet to comment on its plans for The Simpsons, which first aired in December 1989.

Earlier this year, the creators axed a classic episode from circulation as it featured the voice of Michael Jackson.

The episode, called Stark Raving Dad, first aired in September 1991, but was ditched following the controversial Leaving Neverland documentary about the late singer.

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/8803128/the-simpsons-cancelled-30-years/

So yeah.  It looks like after 32 years on TV, DIsney could pull the plug on the Simpsons for good.  On the one hand, the series has gone on for so long, and some people wonder if it needs to be put out to pasture.  On the other hand,this...may not be a way to go out.

(edited)

Frankly, I don't care if this is the right or wrong way for the series to go out. It NEEDS to GET OUT and has needed to for at least a decade. This is one of VERY FEW times that I'll stand by Disney on the properties they take over. The Simpsons needs to end. :dry:

Edited by Dusky, the Boy Queen
  • Brohoof 2

I don't even care anymore.

The Simpsons were one of my favorite shows up until S12. I still make lots of references to their dialogs and scenes with my old friends and that's not gonna change whether they keep getting worse, they come back to life or they finally end its suffering.

3 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

I don't even care anymore.

The Simpsons were one of my favorite shows up until S12. I still make lots of references to their dialogs and scenes with my old friends and that's not gonna change whether they keep getting worse, they come back to life or they finally end its suffering.

Frankly there's no suffering to end here. The show is basically a rotting corpse at this point. Though I agree it is a shame because from season 2 until about season 10 the show was absolutely  phenomenal.

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, Dusky, the Boy Queen said:

Though I agree it is a shame because from season 2 until about season 10

Yeah, a lot of people say season 9 was the dropping off point, and I disagree; seasons 9 and 10 were flawed, but not bad.

So we are saying oh look what could maybe one day possibly happen cause one person said maybe something could possibly happen? Sorry but I hate the chicken little sky is falling conjecture here. The reality is nothing really supports this idea. All we have is the words of one voice actress about what could happen if Disney wants to do something. As far as I am concerned this is a bunch of fear mongering clickbaity nothing from a rag like the sun whose decency and honesty in reporting is somewhere around tabloid quality. 

But do you know what I hate worse than chicken littling? The sour oh it needs to die cause it changed and this fixed number of seasons ( insert childhood watching years here ) seasons was teh best. Nah sorry I love the new episodes and think they have been doing great. But so many people want to see an icon die the second it does not fit some arbitrary level of their own personal entertainment. Because if they dont like it no one can. 

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

Yeah, a lot of people say season 9 was the dropping off point, and I disagree; seasons 9 and 10 were flawed, but not bad.

I think the series began its decline in Season 9 after a specific episode, and by the time Season 13 started it was well on its way to the garbage it is today.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

In my experience, different people rate seasons 9 through 13 differently. Most of us agree S9 was when decline was evident, but some of us still praise the next few seasons because they still had that feeling. Sure they sometimes overdid the jokes and some episodes were downright boring or cringey, but their essence was still there. I don't know when they lost it completely but it was definitely after S13.

Why the hell would Disney cancel shows just because they're not family friendly ? I can't find any examples of them doing so. Plus Disney's subsidiaries have released r rated films in the past so I don't see why that would change now.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Gestum said:

Why the hell would Disney cancel shows just because they're not family friendly ? I can't find any examples of them doing so. Plus Disney's subsidiaries have released r rated films in the past so I don't see why that would change now.

Yeah, Disney did R rated movies but released them under Touchstones.

Such as: 

• Ruthless People (1986)
  • D.O.A. (1988)
  • Garry Marshall’s Pretty Woman (1990)
  • When a Man Loves a Woman (1994)
  • Con Air (1997)
  • Paul Verhoeven’s Starship Troopers (1997)
  • Snake Eyes (1998)
  • Tony Scott’s Enemy of the State (1998)

(edited)

Say what you will about modern Simpsons, but Not being family friendly seems like a really flimsy rumor and reason to axe the show given

a) that hasn’t stopped them from pushing adult oriented content under a different guise

b) they bought Fox full well knowing they have a ton of adult aimed content like Aliens and Die Hard

C) they’re proudly airing Family Guy on Freeform, a much much much less family friendly show than the Simpsons 

and d) it’s the goddamn Simpsons, one of the most iconic animated shows ever, i’ll be surprised if they don’t milk that series for all it’s worth 

expect a Disneyland addition sometime soon

Edited by This Whomps
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)
22 hours ago, This Whomps said:

Say what you will about modern Simpsons, but Not being family friendly seems like a really flimsy rumor and reason to axe the show given

a) that hasn’t stopped them from pushing adult oriented content under a different guise

b) they bought Fox full well knowing they have a ton of adult aimed content like Aliens and Die Hard

C) they’re proudly airing Family Guy on Freeform, a much much much less family friendly show than the Simpsons  

and d) it’s the goddamn Simpsons, one of the most iconic animated shows ever, i’ll be surprised if they don’t milk that series for all it’s worth 

expect a Disneyland addition sometime soon

We all know it'll end up renewed, but if it ends, then what would go in its place? Cops? Peeping it Real? King of the Hill: The Next Generation? A Reboot of Futurama, with Donald Trump's Head running for President against Richard Nixon's Head? Of course, I unfollowed The Simpsons on Facebook, so I won't have to put up with berating comments. Great, now you've got me into wanting to put The Simpsons: Bart vs. The Space Mutants on the NES Classic Edition!

Edited by YoshiAngemon

On 4/6/2019 at 8:08 AM, Dusky, the Boy Queen said:

Frankly, I don't care if this is the right or wrong way for the series to go out. It NEEDS to GET OUT and has needed to for at least a decade. This is one of VERY FEW times that I'll stand by Disney on the properties they take over. The Simpsons needs to end. :dry:

I actually can't help but smile or exhale slightly from my nose when I see comments like this, which is often. The hostility toward the simpsons not ending is like a meme in of itself, as though the simpsons broke into your house, stole your expensive shoes, and took a dump in your cereal on the way out. 

I think it's amusing that it's still on. It'd be even more amusing if it just continued indefinitely. They could replace the actors with other actors who sound like them, and keep the show running for centuries. 

Should be, would be, could be. Hearsay and speculation from one voice actor is not enough evidence to make such a claim. There's also a direct contradiction in the article. Why would the creators have the Michael Jackson episode axed if they wouldn't have Disney alter the show's legacy? :maud: As someone who has sworn off watching The Simpsons since that stupid Apu controversy and that even stupider banning of the iconic Michael Jackson episode, I respect that there are people who still enjoy the show and have accepted the fact that it's always going to continue so long as it turns a profit. 

Edited by CloudMistDragon
Adding pointing out that contradiction

"The Simpsons creators would rather "cancel" the show than allow Disney to alter its legacy."

That's funny since the show is best known for going on for far too long.

Edited by Twilight Luna

Even though The Simpsons should've ended a long time ago, a decision to pull the plug for not being family friendly seems completely out of order. Even so, we don't really have enough to truly debate whether it's going to happen or not.

Edited by Cash In

I get so sick of hearing about "when did it start getting bad" that I often hate to discuss the show at all. But I'll just say fuck Disney if they're going to try to make everything "family friendly"and I'm more worried about The Orville and Bob's Burgers.

Edited by Fluttershutter

17 hours ago, Cash In said:

Even so, we don't really have enough to truly debate whether it's going to happen or not.

Yes, we do. The fact that Disney is gonna include all the episodes of the Simpsons on their new streaming site pretty much confirms that this was a bunch of nonsense.

• Brohoof 2

39 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Yes, we do. The fact that Disney is gonna include all the episodes of the Simpsons on their new streaming site pretty much confirms that this was a bunch of nonsense.

I wasn't aware of that when making the post.

16 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

ALL of the episodes? "Stark-Raving Dad" won't be on there.