Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E08 - Frenemies

FlareGun45
Message added by MangoFoalix

Remember, this thread is full of spoilers. If you click on this thread, you should know what you are getting yourself into.

Episode Poll  

114 users have voted

1. 1. What did you thing!

• Grogar too OP pls nerf - Hated it
    • Chrysalis changes into your waifu and drains you - Not a fan
    • Grogar reads 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' and falls asleep - It was okay
    • Tirek chills while all of you vote - Liked it
    • Cozy casts "Adorbs" -- It's super effective - LOVED IT

There's a Bell that could spell doom if it rings on Grogar's neck again. And I thought the Bell of Ruin in Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney was dangerous.

An episode focusing just on villains?  That sounded pretty interesting, given that we haven't had anything like that in the show before.  So when I first read the synopsis for this episode, I was intrigued to see how it would play out.  Plus given that I rather liked the dynamic they had in the season premiere, this was one that I was looking forward to see.

With all of that out of the way, I thought the episode was pretty enjoyable.

I really liked the interactions between Cozy Glow, Tirek, and Chrysalis as I found their petty squabbles to be pretty funny.  I was surprised that there was a song in here, but it ended up being a decent one.    Also Cozy Glow is really growing on me as a character, with both the premiere and this episode she has been a lot of fun to watch.  And I am interested in seeing how the events of this episode will play out in the rest of the season.

• Brohoof 6

I liked the episode. I would give it a 9/10. One point off though for making fun of Twilight because that doesn't fly with me. :angry:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Best episode of the season thus far. It's funny, entertaining, unpredictable, it progresses the main arc, and it's refreshing in how it focuses solely on the villains. 

2 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

I think Grogar anticipated Tirek, Chrysalis and Cozy Glow turning on him, and already has a plan for it.

Will definitely be interesting to see how it plays out later.

Edited by TheAnimationFanatic
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I liked this episode because

1. It's about different character's interactions.
  2. It's about characters changing throughout the episode.
  3. It's about relationship between characters changing throughout the episode.

We haven't had those kind of episodes for a very long time. It's a shame that Sombra was such a wasted potential.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 6

Instant hit; one of the best in the show. Very simple plot, so there were no pacing problems.

Grogar probably knows what happened, since, presumably, he can summon them to his lair at will. He needs to be able to see if, say, Cozy decides to call it quits and go home.

• Brohoof 5

I think Grogar is smarter than those three give him. He will see past through this deception. I'm calling it now.

• Brohoof 7

Just now, TheTaZe said:

I think Grogar is smarter than those three give him. He will see past through this deception. I'm calling it now.

My prediction is that it will play out like the last two episodes of "Justice League Unlimited", wherein there's a squabble between the other villains and Grogar.

• Brohoof 1

This is easily one of my favourites of the season so far! It was very, very funny. Cozy's anger issues, the song, and her chemistry with Tirek and Chrysalis is so priceless. And all three are actually competent too. They realised that they work so well as a trio and decide to use that against Grogar. In the premiere my thoughts were one villain would get sent to fight against ponies then lose to the Mane Six and rinse and repeat, so I was pleasantly surprised by the ending. It makes me all the more excited for the rest of Season 9.

Really, this episode was an absolute delight. Looking forward to rewatching it again and again :mlp_laugh:

• Brohoof 9

4 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Despite the narrative, Tirek, Cozy, and Chrys are already better friends than Mane 6, and more interesting ones at that.

Friendship founded over a common interest is the least laudable kind. As they said, if they succeed in defeating their enemies, they intend to part ways. The Mane 6 are friends for each other's sake, which is a much more permanent engagement.

• Brohoof 3

4 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

My prediction is that it will play out like the last two episodes of "Justice League Unlimited", wherein there's a squabble between the other villains and Grogar.

Most likely. We will have to wait and see for that though.

• Brohoof 1

Poll posted

This actually may be the best episode of the season. Really loved this one. 

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Poll posted

This actually may be the best episode of the season. Really loved this one. 

I would almost say that but I really enjoyed Episode 200 more than this one. :P

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

all three are actually competent too

That was probably my favorite part. For the first time since their initial appearance I actually felt they could be a threat. 

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

All in all, I can't help but think of that Brooding Loner Boom Shadow, but then, those three are being Starscreamy, betraying the Unicron Grogar, something Galvatron never had the bolts to do!

Edited by YoshiAngemon