Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What did you think of the Daring Do books? (no spoilers)

Muffinnz

@Muffinnz Your thread is discussing the Daring Do books, and isn't a fit for General Discussion seeing as it is discussing ponies in some shape or form. General Discussion is for all things discussion-wise that are not related to MLP in any way. Therefore I have moved your topic to the Comics and Books section of Sugarcube Corner 

Thanks! :)

I read through them a while back, so I’m a little rusty.

I’ll try to remain vague, but it’s hard to say what I like and dislike without saying what happens.

I’ve read all of them. Each had fun moments, but also flaws. I remember being disappointed by the characterization of Ahuizotl in the second book. He wasn’t nearly as over the top hilarious as he has the potential to be. Nor did they make him as threatening as you’d think Daring’s most powerful foe should be.

And there’s this moment where they mention this fear Ahui has at one point, and Daring disparages it as him being a coward, except that it’s a perfectly rational fear and is a fear that one of the Mane 6 in the show has demonstrated. So I found that weird.

The third book might be my fave, but it starts off with this plot with Caballeron and his goons, but then just trails off into a different plot and they’re never mentioned again.

First book is just kind of meh. Nothing super good, nothing super bad. Just blah.

Daring overall is portrayed as even more harsh and gruff than she is in the show. I have a particular headcanon for that, but others might have a different opinion one whether it’s a good or bad thing.

Things I like:

• Worldbuilding
  • Potential headcanon hooks
  • New culture we don’t see in the show
  • Daring having to do things that are out of her rough-and-tumble comfort zone
  • We get introduced to an important character from Daring Do’s life in the second book

OVERALL: I don’t regret getting the collection, but the stories are not mindblowing. They gave me some cool character and headcanon inspiration, but don’t go in with really high expectations.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

I've only read the first one (and Rainbow Dash Rights the Ship which is basically a Daring Do book)I thought they were overall fun, better than most of the novels but kinda had that problem a lot of junior fantasy I've read where their idea of world-building is just naming tons of random places and things, which can get kinda overwhelming if you're like me.

It was really wild to see the books so thoroughly referenced in Equestria Girls though. For those unaware, the film throughout Tales of Canterlot High/Magical Movie Night/The Series (why does that special have so many alternate names?) was actually a recreation of the plot of the first book. It was kinda cool, but G.M. Berrow stuff in general gets referenced in the show more than other secondary media.