Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Things you hate in texting?

Oblivion

So one of my biggest pet peeves is THIS!!! 

When someone says K or even kay or ok with no further explanation it just really REALLY peeves me. Like come on someone cared enough to send you an entire paragraph explaining their day are all you have to say to that is "K"?? Anywho what's some of your biggest texting peeves? 

k-text-message-image-3.jpg

• Brohoof 4

11 minutes ago, Blivy said:

When someone says K or even kay or ok with no further explanation it just really REALLY peeves me. Like come on someone cared enough to send you an entire paragraph explaining their day are all you have to say to that is "K"?? Anywho what's some of your biggest texting peeves? 

But in this instance, what are they supposed to say? You said you’d meet them. Do they just not respond? And if so, how do they show you that they read your message?

I don’t know any texting social cues. :twi:

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Cagey said:

But in this instance, what are they supposed to say? You said you’d meet them. Do they just not respond? And if so, how do they show you that they read your message?

I don’t know any texting social cues. :twi:

Welllll, id respond with "AWESOME, I'll be there in a little bit! Thanks for letting me know!" 

• Brohoof 3

Granted I don't have a phone for texting. But this one specific peeve of mine probably floods over into that territory. Responses or general messages that consist of 80% acronyms. Some of which are entirely new to the point you have to either activate your magic decoder ring or look them up in the nearest available search engine to find out what the bloody hell has been said to you.

Edited by Treeglow Flicker
  • Brohoof 4

The one word responses. I had a girl I was fiends with in high school. Every time we would text each other she’d respond with one word. It was nearly impossible to carry a conversation with her through text.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Operetta said:

The one word responses. I had a girl I was fiends with in high school. Every time we would text each other she’d respond with one word. It was nearly impossible to carry a conversation with her through text.

I...also dislike when people just respond with one word in almost any text, it just shows a lack of interest and depending on what was said can also be somewhat disrespectful, especially if you typed a whole paragraph explaining something and they just respond back with a single...word.  

• Brohoof 3

Pretty much text speak abbreviations though I think it's less of a problem now than it used to be, I've always texted in full English including punctuation just because it winds some people up. Texting in itself can be an irritation if it ends up being a long conversation over multiple texts though if the same conversation could be had in one short phone call instead.

Edited by Rainbow Cloud
  • Brohoof 1

I’m not very good at sensing emotion through text, so I guess it just bothers me when people don’t make it clear. Because there are many times when someone isn’t mad but the way the type makes me think they are, if that makes any sense? :mlp_huh:

• Brohoof 2

Just now, applesjck said:

I’m not very good at sensing emotion through text, so I guess it just bothers me when people don’t make it clear. Because there are many times when someone isn’t mad but the way the type makes me think they are, if that makes any sense? :mlp_huh:

It does make sense, it has happened to me, its really annoying.:yeahno:

• Brohoof 4

Posting so many topics in a row is a good way to get them buried by the way.

My phone isn't currently capable of texting, but I basically don't message one friend of mine at all unless we're making plans to gettogether which happens maybe twice a year now? And it's because he has such short responses and doesn't communicate well with my if we're not in person, or at least that's what I think.

I also dislike it when people say they're doing nothing. I can go overboard, so fully understand that we don't need to know every little detail, but give me something, tell me what you've actually done with your day! Anything at all!

• Brohoof 1

54 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Posting so many topics in a row is a good way to get them buried by the way.

My phone isn't currently capable of texting, but I basically don't message one friend of mine at all unless we're making plans to gettogether which happens maybe twice a year now? And it's because he has such short responses and doesn't communicate well with my if we're not in person, or at least that's what I think.

I also dislike it when people say they're doing nothing. I can go overboard, so fully understand that we don't need to know every little detail, but give me something, tell me what you've actually done with your day! Anything at all!

Ah well, they can always be revived with the help of a friend. ^^

And I agree with you! :kindness:

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Blivy said:

k-text-message-image-3.jpg

Depends on the context. Like the first first person that replied said: there's not much to be said in response to someone giving you a statement like "i'll meet you later".

Or if someone is like "ok, so ill meet you at three", what would you reply with hmmm? Would you repeat back what they said to you or something? It's not a lack of energy or commitment, its not really knowing WTF else to say other then just acknowledge they texted you. Would you rather they say nothing at all in response?

Sorry if that seems rather aggressive, but its true; typing entire sentence responses to someone for something that only requires a simple "okie dokie" is rather...silly.

ANYWAY

I hate when people keep texting you over and over until you respond to them. Like...what if I'm in the bathroom or in an area of no cell reception? It gets really annoying coming back from going for a walk or something to a giant wall of angry texts and missed calls because you dare not bring your phone with you at all times.

5 minutes ago, fare67t said:

Depends on the context. Like the first first person that replied said: there's not much to be said in response to someone giving you a statement like "i'll meet you later".

Or if someone is like "ok, so ill meet you at three", what would you reply with hmmm? Would you repeat back what they said to you or something? It's not a lack of energy or commitment, its not really knowing WTF else to say other then just acknowledge they texted you. Would you rather they say nothing at all in response?

Sorry if that seems rather aggressive, but its true; typing entire sentence responses to someone for something that only requires a simple "okie dokie" is rather...silly.

ANYWAY

I hate when people keep texting you over and over until you respond to them. Like...what if I'm in the bathroom or in an area of no cell reception? It gets really annoying coming back from going for a walk or something to a giant wall of angry texts and missed calls because you dare not bring your phone with you at all times.

"Okay' I'll meet you at three"  my response would be!!!! "Awesome, I look forward to it, see you then!" Or "I'll meet you later" my response would be "alright man see you then, look forward to having a few drinks together and catching up" stuff like that, not that hard to come up with a mutual response that conveys what you'll be doing. 

• Brohoof 1

I really dislike texting in general. With my old phone (which I otherwise like for its simplicity), I often have to press a key three to four times just to type one letter, and it's so easy to mistype (and the whole thing will take even longer then). I'm a fast typist on a computer, which makes it feel even more frustrating. :unamused: So I practically never send text messages – only replies to messages I receive from others (such as birthday wishes), otherwise I always call the people I want to talk to.

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 3

When people don't use proper capitalisation and punctuation when they type, I mean it's not the worst thing in the world if I can at least read and understand what's being said, and I get why people wouldn't care as much when it comes to simple, quick messages, but... still. :P

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, Blivy said:

Like come on someone cared enough to send you an entire paragraph explaining their day are all you have to say to that is "K"??

I, on the other hand really dislike too long texts that do not add any information. In the situation shown in your screenshot, "K" or "OK" are appropriate in my opinion. What else should I write?

This? "After careful consideration, I have accepted your proposal as to the time of our meeting and as of this moment am in the process of preparing for said meeting. Assuming there are no unplanned emergencies, I will be present at the location you specified in 30 minutes as well"

To me, texts come in two types - questions and notices. A question requires an answer, so I answer it. A notice does not require an answer, however, I send an "OK" or a smiley face as a reply to indicate that I have read the massage and have nothing more to add to the topic. For example "I'll meet you in 30 minutes" is a notice, presumably the meeting was planned before and this is just a confirmation (something that I do a lot), so nothing else is needed, only an acknowledgement that the message was received.

15 hours ago, Blivy said:

I...also dislike when people just respond with one word in almost any text, it just shows a lack of interest and depending on what was said can also be somewhat disrespectful, especially if you typed a whole paragraph explaining something and they just respond back with a single...word.  

Depends on the topic. It could be that your wall of text does not pose any questions that need to be answered by the recipient. If you are just venting about some problem (that you know the recipient is unable to solve), what should the reply be? 

I dislike having long conversations over SMS (more than, say, 4 messages each way). Unless there is a reason one of us cannot talk right now, if you want to have a long conversation - call. It will be done much faster and with fewer interruptions - one of the reasons why I dislike having long conversations over SMS is that after I send my message I do not know if I should just stare at my phone waiting for reply (what if the reply comes in 30 minutes?) or should get back to doing whatever I was doing (what if the reply comes in 2 minutes and I have to interrupt whatever I was doing to reply?).

1 minute ago, Pentium100 said:

I, on the other hand really dislike too long texts that do not add any information. In the situation shown in your screenshot, "K" or "OK" are appropriate in my opinion. What else should I write?

This? "After careful consideration, I have accepted your proposal as to the time of our meeting and as of this moment am in the process of preparing for said meeting. Assuming there are no unplanned emergencies, I will be present at the location you specified in 30 minutes as well"

To me, texts come in two types - questions and notices. A question requires an answer, so I answer it. A notice does not require an answer, however, I send an "OK" or a smiley face as a reply to indicate that I have read the massage and have nothing more to add to the topic. For example "I'll meet you in 30 minutes" is a notice, presumably the meeting was planned before and this is just a confirmation (something that I do a lot), so nothing else is needed, only an acknowledgement that the message was received.

Depends on the topic. It could be that your wall of text does not pose any questions that need to be answered by the recipient. If you are just venting about some problem (that you know the recipient is unable to solve), what should the reply be? 

I dislike having long conversations over SMS (more than, say, 4 messages each way). Unless there is a reason one of us cannot talk right now, if you want to have a long conversation - call. It will be done much faster and with fewer interruptions - one of the reasons why I dislike having long conversations over SMS is that after I send my message I do not know if I should just stare at my phone waiting for reply (what if the reply comes in 30 minutes?) or should get back to doing whatever I was doing (what if the reply comes in 2 minutes and I have to interrupt whatever I was doing to reply?).

If I dont get anything else from this post you have gave me some great ideas to mess with friends! :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 1

If you at least want to talk to me, take the time to actually type out words instead of $#!+ like "lol" or "k." That always bothers me.

Though I always do it back to these people. Otherwise I pretty much only use them for the sake of sounding like an idiot who only knows abbreviations.

Edited by Dustleeshus
  • Brohoof 1

54 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I hate when people use nothing but abbreviations. I cant understand it :laugh:

That is the only time you allowed to just respond with "k". 

• Brohoof 1