Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

searching [OOC] Ambition for Ascension

Loud Opinion

(edited)

I had planned to have Octavia do some things before Fuchsia catches up, but I'm feeling like dropping that so everyone can be on the same page again. How do we all feel about that?

@abrony-mouse

That being said, I have a something to clear up. I'm @'ing abrony-mouse, but this is something everyone should keep in mind. The setting is pre-industrial. Earphones are harmless, but are not on theme. Please keep this in mind to avoid confusion. You don't have to be perfect. This is another world that could have focused on different technologies. If it uses electricity or gas (that includes steam), don't imply its existence. I'll update the OP accordingly.

Edited by Loud Opinion
  • Brohoof 3

@Loud Opinion

Sounds good, I've kinda been waiting to be entirely honest. :blush:

As for the technology level, there are light bulbs and Vinyl Scratch has rather modern headphones or speakers. It just seems like it's less common.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

That being said, they also use candle light, quills, thatch roofs, and parchment scrolls.

Most of the modern technology shows up after season 3.

Also the theater could easily be candle light.

Edited by Loud Opinion
  • Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Loud Opinion said:

That being said, they also use candle light, quills, thatch roofs, and parchment scrolls.

Most of the modern technology shows up after season 3.

Also the theater could easily be candle light.

Sounds good to me. What extent of technology will we be using here? 

• Brohoof 1

Pre-industrial: Steel is expensive and requires a competent smith. Gunpowder is exotic. Electricity is exclusive to storms (Electromancy is nonexistent). The only 'automation' you're likely to see comes from rare clockwork devices that need to be manually cranked.

• Brohoof 2

@Loud Opinion

I like that idea. Pre-industrial is a setting I quite enjoy.

Unrelated, have some other things to show you but not related to this roleplay. Changeling hives. I have more in the works, but these are the ones I have s ofar. 

Blue Hive.

Spoiler

Hive Name: Assan (Blue)

Queen Name: Queen Quaralos

Queen Personality: Queen Quaralos' emotions change unexpectedly throughout the day through a range of bravery, cautiousness and sympathy. She is sensitive about what her victims think about her and her hive, and so generally treats others with respect where she can afford it. Despite acting strong when in the presence of her hive when they need it, the thoughts of the creatures that she preys on gets to her sometimes, which leads to her spending much of her time simply relaxing in pools of water. Other people's appreciation of water and the way it works can bring a smile to her face, especially if they show respect to her personally at the same time.

Hive Goals: To keep things moving like they're supposed to, and deal with anything that tries to stop it. This can mean anything like magic that holds things in place like a stasis spell or a time spell, but can extend to keeping things captive.

Environmental Features: The place around where the hive has been set up has ponds, lakes and rivers everywhere, resulting in very high humidity in the air. Some of the hive's chambers include these features in them as well.

Changeling Appearance: The Assan changelings are slightly slender then normal changelings, and look far more flexible as a result. The holes in their bodies also appear to slightly droop towards the ground as if they were drops of water falling in a rainstorm. Their tails and manes are a carolina blue shade that almost looks like rain falling down.

Emotion Drain: Incautiousness and impulsiveness.

Abilities: Alongside their ability to shapeshift into other creatures, the Assan changelings can also use their magic to change their molecular structure into what appears to be a more solid version of water. In this form they retain their ability to think and feel, but any sight or hearing they might have is lost until they turn back. They are also about to slide around on the ground to move, or lunge out to latch on to things. In this form it is also harder to kill them with most regular attacks, however it leaves them vulnerable to being split apart, and should they run out or have their magic locked they risk being permanently be stuck. Their slender bodies allow them to move faster in water and maneuver around easier while their wings can be used to thrust them forward, but at the cost that they are easier to knock around and have less protective armour and flesh before hitting a vital spot. Queen Quaralos has the ability to visualize images of her memories in the reflection of water, showing others what she's seen.

Intruder Method: Using the large number of water pools that lie around the location of the hive, changelings who guard the entrances will often turn into their water forms and lie in waiting, looking unsuspecting to intruders so they don't investigate further, and if they decide to explore they can easily ambush them for capture.

Other: Queen Quaralos has a 'free speech' and voting system for the important decisions on what they should do. Some Assan changelings are given opportunity to input their ideas alongside decisions if they feel the current plans suggested by Queen Quaralos needs improvement. The rest of the changelings can approve or disapprove of these suggestions. Sometimes if the votes are so one-sided, Queen Quaralos will stop her plan altogether.

Red hive.

Spoiler

Hive name Ignacious (Red) 

Queen Name: Verilicor

Queen Personality: Queen Verilicor is a very passionate queen. She is extremely clear in her orders and commands and has a way of enunciating specific points of her verbage. She is easily snappish, brutish and easily frustrated or annoyed. She makes it clear that she is in command of the hive and expects total obedience from her subjects. There is little leeway in her desires, and points. When she wants something, she gets it. When she does something, she does it. She means what she says, and those who do not make way for it are in great trouble. She has a great interest in fire and flame, and her horn and eyes can sometimes flare up with flame when angered.

Hive goals: The Ignacious hive is fairly power hungry and dominant. They have clear interests in expanding their territory into all uninhabitable lands to ponies. Most notably around volcanoes and areas of geological activity. However they are not limited to these lands, as changelings they must drain emotion in order to survive. They sometimes would start conflicts between ponies and towns in order to gain energy off of the fiery and fierce debating or conflict.

Enviromental features: They reside in a large area of volcanic activity beyond the borders of Equestria, because of this activity they aren't well known by most because their lands are far too dangerous. Their lands resemble the dragon lands, but with added lava and fire. The changelings themselves may also create firey tornadoes for fun, as well.

Changeling Appearance: They have deep red eyes, their carapaces are extra tough and sturdy. Their red wings have no holes in them and are wider than that of normal changeling and are rather triangular in shape. The holes of their body are somewhat smaller, more triangular shaped. Fangs are longer. The color of the changelings themselves matches that of their landscape which makes them hard to spot. Almost of a pure black, almost obsidian color. A fully matured changeling will have an obsidian layer covering over their normal hide, and the Queen has that as well.

Emotion Drain: Any emotion as long as it's strong enough.

Abilities: The changelings here have an innate ability to manipulate fire into weaponry and submerge themselves within lava without getting harmed. They can fire strong red lasers and create strong red barriers that are hard to break through. They themselves can often turn into fire and blend in with the landscape. As well as turning into lava. When ponies enter within their lands they often hide within the lava and flame and then suddenly strike at any intruders. They are extremely weak to water attacks and water based magic, and being in other forms leaves them vulnerable.

Intruder Method: Using their ability to blend in with fire and lava they can suddenly strike hard, and fast with large barrages of lasers and fire based attacks. If intruders are dangerous enough, they will kill them. Leaving intruders alive is dangerous for them, as they can come back and tell others where the hive is. They would usually drain on sight, and then kill if needed. 

Other: All of the changelings in this hive wear armour made from obsidian and dried lava rock. They often have very pointy armour that can resist extreme heat. The Queen rules with absolute authority and those who resist or attempt treachery are killed off or left for dead. The Queen can give rather emotional, passionate speeches that can rally all of her troops. They are rather small in numbers, hence their aggressiveness and toughness.

Orange hive.

Spoiler

Hive Name: Inclise (Orange)

Queen Name: Umossta

Queen Personality: Will protect her kingdom from any possible threats. Umossa is rather show offy with her kingdom and loves seeing the reactions prisoners have to their kingdom. She is very protective of her subjects, and goes to great lengths to ensure the security of her hive from any possible threats. She herself is a skilled artist and craftsman who can make beautiful paintings, not only that, she is a skilled craftsman and can craft ornate statues out of rock. She is not only a leader, but someone who seeks to entertain and work alongside those she rules over. 

Hive Goals: The goals of their hive are mainly security and defence based. They themselves enjoy seeing art and architectural constructions and Umossta sends out a small selection of her changelings every now and then to observe the artwork and infrastructure of ponykind for inspiration. They also send some of their changelings into cities to show off their art and they can gather up the emotional reactions drawn from this to feed the hive. 

Changeling Appearance: They appear more of a tan-yellow color with orange eyes. They are of a more normal stature, the color of their carapace looks more like sandstone or sand. The Queen herself is much similar to that but her mane looks much like flowing sand. When she is well fed, and energized her mane even flow like an alicorn's with sand. To outsiders however, they make themselves look more like normal ponies and can even invite other ponies to their hive (as long as they are under watch) to show off their hive. Their armour is more of a golden-ish color covered in a thin film that gives it the impression of gold but is just a normal armour. 

Environmental Features: Beautifully carved tunnels and chambers in the desert beyond Las Pegasus. They are rather active in the city of Las Pegasus and even have members of their hive within high command positions of the city to ensure the hive's safety and continued feeding of the ponies in that area. 

Emotion Drain: Awe, or reactive emotions. 

Abilities: The Inclise changelings are very defensive changelings. Using things such as shields, barriers, etc to ward off intruders or keep ponies away from sensitive areas of the hive. They prefer to merely walk with barriers in front of them to push possible threats away from their land.

Outsider Method: Capture, and then keep within the hive. The Inclise hive will try its best to satisfy prisoners, and ponies even serve among their ranks if they are especially trusted. Only kill when needed. 

Other: The changelings love showing their prisoners their non-vital architecture. The throne room of Umossta has the sun's light shine in through yellow stained glass above the ground and the hive itself functions as a practical underground city with large expansive spaces, and well designed layouts and architecture. The changelings here live good, to average lives.

In the future, if you don't expect it to be related then use discord. I don't want go off topic.

That being said, do you mind if I incorporate the Blue changelings into the lore?

• Brohoof 2

45 minutes ago, Loud Opinion said:

In the future, if you don't expect it to be related then use discord. I don't want go off topic.

That being said, do you mind if I incorporate the Blue changelings into the lore?

You can. I don't post much in the discord since I don't see you online much? Might not go noticed that way. But tell me how you'd incorporate them into the lore? 

• Brohoof 1

I see everything on discord. If I don't have a good response then I won't.

As for how I would use them, I'd say they're long-gone, but what they left behind could be of use.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Loud Opinion said:

I see everything on discord. If I don't have a good response then I won't.

As for how I would use them, I'd say they're long-gone, but what they left behind could be of use.

Hmm, I don't really think that'd work. I have other lore for them in the works, and I have not had the other hives fully constructed yet. I'm not really sure if I'm interested in one of my creations being "long gone", defeats the point of my ideas.

• Brohoof 1

I understand. There's really no pressure. I just thought it would have made for a good environment and some extra flavor.

To explain, they wouldn't have disappeared. I'm thinking I'd look like a frozen over marsh. I already had an alternative though.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Loud Opinion said:

I understand. There's really no pressure. I just thought it would have made for a good environment and some extra flavor.

To explain, they wouldn't have disappeared. I'm thinking I'd look like a frozen over marsh. I already had an alternative though.

Perhaps it could have been an abandoned hive colony that they had attempted to branch out to and it didn't really go well. Frozen over Marsh, that is more in line with what I have for the green changelings. The Assan hive is primarily based somewhere along the ocean, where the waves sort of crash over caves along the coast - that is where they reside inside of. 

If you are interested, I'll come up with a full detail for the green changelings and show you.

• Brohoof 1

Nevermind. You were right. Now that I think of it, the story doesn't have anything to do with the Changelings. Having a lost civilization of them would dilute the rest of what I'm going for.

• Brohoof 2

16 minutes ago, Loud Opinion said:

Nevermind. You were right. Now that I think of it, the story doesn't have anything to do with the Changelings. Having a lost civilization of them would dilute the rest of what I'm going for.

Yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking. I'm not sure of any suggestions I'd wanna add to the story. Maybe however, the Sparkle Family is descended from those who founded the unicorn tribe. Or something is special about that line of heritage. In the show Twilight became a princess, Shining Armour became the prince, among other things. Just an idea, maybe. 

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Loud Opinion said:

I think the Sparkle family is believable enough. Making them any more special would undermine their achievements.

That's a good idea. Hmm, do you have any other ideas yourself? I do like where everything is going though.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Loud Opinion said:

Just waiting to see if everyone else is on board with Fuchsia's fast forward.

I feel like this sort of roleplay could only work with 3 or less players, like we have here due to the time it takes for it. If we ever are involved in or create a roleplay of this style that's something we'll have to keep in mind. A possible idea to mitigate this is side quests and 1x1 things (like we talked about) as stories involving multiple characters are rather slow to develop. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Sorry for the delay.

I've been meaning to clarify my last post, but kept getting distracted. Let me get that out of the way now. @abrony-mouse has been my get-out-of-jail-free card but their's really no reason to do that now that I've gotten a plan for how I'm going to handle it.

Anyway. I've been trying my best to word my sentences very carefully with my IC posts. The reason being that the events that take place are not intuitive. But my posts keep being misinterpreted.

@ExplosionMare

They all began synchronously skipping in an odd pattern. Starlight’s heart rate increased again, reminding her that her heartbeat was still irregular.

The first sentence is what I want to focus on. This implies that they are all skipping at the same time as one unit. The second one was perfect. I never said that her heart rate went down, so it didn't. This is what I want.

Their mundane traversal through the street was disorganized when their path brought them close to the balcony. Each and every pony within a few feet of her would abandon their stride to skip in line with Starlight's heart.

Then, just as suddenly, they would resume their mundane strut just as they left her range.

I used the word each to imply that everyone as an individual would skip and then stop depending on how close they are to Starlight. Imagine your on a side walk and every car that passes you up honked their horn as they did.

This case is harmless considering the point I want to get across was understood, but I'd hate for this to take away emotional impact from a scene. It's hard to get invested when people are confused as to what their characters are seeing. I don't know. Maybe corrections like these are fine. I know I didn't do a good job describing the houses everyone was staying at. Let me clear that up while I'm here.

download.jpg.c3c93f690b263eab6c982398dee5e05b.jpg

The houses are on the far side of the curve, and each character gets a small-medium house. The balcony (which I neglected to describe) overlooks the road behind it.

Edited by Loud Opinion
  • Brohoof 2