Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Is there a good movie based on a game?

Sepul-Coloratura

You have to like the style of the game/jokes to enjoy it, but I think Mortal Kombat (the very first movie) just did it correctly. Some costumes I didn't like, but it just played on the stupid basic story, and had some great action! A great low budget movie to watch while enjoying your Pringles®

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, Super Splashee said:

You have to like the style of the game/jokes to enjoy it, but I think Mortal Kombat (the very first movie) just did it correctly. Some costumes I didn't like, but it just played on the stupid basic story, and had some great action! A great low budget movie to watch while enjoying your Pringles®

MMMMMMMOOOORRRRRTTALCCCOOOMMMBBBAT!!!!!

But, seriously, what's up with fighting game movies? Fighting gmaes turns out to be the worst movie. Tekken, King of Fighters, Street Fighter.

• Brohoof 1

If we are taking about successful video game movies then the Sonic the Hedgehog movie has done well. I would second the Mortal Kombat movie. The fight scenes are cool and still hold up well. 

• Brohoof 2

Sonic and Detective Pikachu are legit decent movies. Mortal Kombat one is also one I can at least recommend to fans

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, Lord Valtasar said:

i quite liked the first two tomb raider movies personally

There are movies? :o

I guess when I have never played the games, I don't pay attention to Tomb Raider.

3 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

There are movies? :o

I guess when I have never played the games, I don't pay attention to Tomb Raider.

there are two from the early 2000s starring angelina jolie,(and james bond in one) and one new-ish one that's meh

• Brohoof 1

detective pikachu and the first silent hill movie are okay (but the second silent hill movie is truly awful). havent got around to sonic yet but it seems to have a nice reception so that too

Let's see... There is the first Mortal Kombat movie, Sonic the Hedgehog, the various Pokémon movies with Detective Pikachu being the biggest example, Final Fantasy: Advent Children, and a couple of Tomb Raider movies. I'm probably forgetting some however.

Personally, I didn’t totally dig Detective Pikachu but I know plenty of people who loved it. If you’re into Pokémon, you may want to give it a chance.

• Brohoof 1

• Resistance Evil series. Although I have to say, the first one  I saw as a kid seem a lot better or cooler than watching the rest as I got older. Nevertheless always enjoyed watching it whenever my dad is watching it. 
  • Tomb Rider:  I also like the reboot one too
  • Silent Hill
  • Assassin Creed.
  • Jumanjii (yes board game counts)
  • Rampage
  • FF: advent children
  • Need for Speed. 

I heard they're going to make borderline movie, so I cross my finger it will be good! I haven't seen Sonic yet, and I don't really like Detective Pikachu. Too much focus on the human and not enough focus on showing the power of the pokemon. 

• Brohoof 1

As a few people have said, Detective Pikachu is not only a good movie (not amazing, but still a good watch) but better than the game it's based off of.

Detective Pikachu's creators say the game's real mystery is why ...

My personal favorite video game movie is actually the 2016 Assassin's Creed film. It's not perfect and I have some issues with the script and felt like they cut out some important stuff, but I really enjoyed the overall story, Michael Fassbender's performance, the lore, Jed Kurzel's score, etc. It made me a fan of director Justin Kurzel (Macbeth 2015 and the upcoming True History Of The Kelly Gang).

I also enjoyed Detective Pikachu, the 2003 and 2018 Tomb Raider films, the 1995 Mortal Kombat (Hopefully the new reboot is good/fun), and the 2006 Silent Hill. Haven't seen Sonic The Hedgehog yet, but it looks like it could be fun.

• 2 months later...
Spoiler

Hate to be picky but everyone listing anything but the Detective Pikachu movie for Pokémon: Those movies are based off the anime Pokémon universe. Which is different than the Pokémon games. So by technicality they aren’t video game movies.  

But Detective Pikachu, Sonic(kinda counts I mean green hill zone exists in it so I guess it does), the first Mortal Kombat movie. Street Fighter for guilty pleasure purposes.