Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How can Tempest regain her horn?

DivineMist1000

@DivineTempest1000
This thread is discussing an aspect of the film. As such, it has been moved to My Little Pony: The Movie.

I don’t think that there is a way for her to get her horn back. Not only did the Storm King lie to her about getting it back but Twilight also never brought up the idea of it returning (which I thought was interesting). It’s probably gone for good. I think that Fizzle Pop Berry Twist became truly content with herself by the end of the film so I don’t think her horn is as important to her as it once was anyway.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Bakugou is my Man said:

I don’t think that there is a way for her to get her horn back. Not only did the Storm King lie to her about getting it back but Twilight also never brought up the idea of it returning. It’s gone. I think that Fizzle Pop became truly content with herself by the end of the film so I don’t think her horn is as important to her as it once was. 

That's good because It just means she's not dwelling on the past anymore. She can focus instead on giving herself and everypony else a brighter future.

Realistically, outside of some sort of magical mazula, there isn't much hope of her getting her horn. That said I'm sure there's some interesting storytelling possibilities with that~

image.png

• Brohoof 1

I don't think there is a way but she seems to have learned to accept herself the way she is (which I'm happy with as she's one of my favorite ponies).

But thinking about it...the show said you can't even fix a mane with magic so I imagine fixing a broken unicorn horn is on another level :huh: 

or she could just use an ice cream cone...

large.png

• Brohoof 1

When a Unicorn of a suitably matched tissue type dies, the crash team at Canterlot hospital will go into action. They will harvest the horn, place it in cryogenic suspension, and then painstakingly map out Tempest's neurological pathways for reattachment surgery.

The doctors have been closely monitoring Rarity...Just in case!

• Brohoof 2

While you can apparently purchase horns,,,

Screenshot_2020-08-02-23-22-18-1.thumb.png.e722c7b11e56b43637ec28d725c08f2b.png

the issue really is one of attachment. I think @cuteycindyhoney actually has the right general idea despite the satire.

Tempest can still conjure raw magical energy, but she can't aptly apply it for spell usage. The horn isn't the source for magic, but merely a way of channeling it in a controlled manner. You can think of what's left of her horn as an electrical cord that's been split. You can plug it in but all you'll get is sparks and maybe light the cord on fire. I've seen it happen, oddly enough while in a hospital. You can fix the cord by attaching it and completing the circuit of another. This could result in ongoing adverse effects if done incorrectly. Not just any cord works and neither may the original because it's too far damaged. The same could be applied to horns.

So, two possible resolutions. The most obvious and boring one, have Discord repair it. Rules hardly apply to him. The other, actually repair it be reattaching "a" horn. The real issue is Equestrian civilization may not be far enough along for such a procedure. Creating an artificial limb as was done for Rainbow Dash in the alternate Sombra time line is one thing, specifically am engineering problem. Horn repair may be comparable to brain surgery. If just the right thing is out of order it can screw everything up.

Crystals could be used to channel a spell or a magical flow, but I think you'd be limited to a single type of magic. If you wanted a focused blast or telekinesis, you'd need a separate crystal for each. The amount of magical energy put through the crystal would determine how powerful the spell is.

Tempest isn't dealing with a life threatening injury and this would be considered an elective procedure. She'll have to wait till we've got this pandemic handled before trying anything.

• Brohoof 2

I could think of a few ways. 

Discord comes to mind. He's shown himself on multiple occasions to be able to alter the physical characteristics of ponies, removing and adding horns and wings on a whim. Hell he gives Spike a magical staff and Big Mac a horn on a whim for their O&O campaign. 

Even if you say it's not quite the same thing as a real horn, it's STILL a replacement. 

Another idea would be to perform a feat worthy of becoming an Alicorn. I'd imagine the transformation would heal her wounds along with granting her wings. Now WHAT she'd have to do to make such a thing happen I have no clue. We only have Twilight for an example, and we don't really know what Cadence did to ascend from a Pegasus into an Alicorn. 

7 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

While you can apparently purchase horns,,,

Screenshot_2020-08-02-23-22-18-1.thumb.png.e722c7b11e56b43637ec28d725c08f2b.png

164?cb=20110704151757

• Brohoof 1

I do wonder, perhaps it is possible, i dont think by any natural means, and i also dont think conventional magic will do. Perhaps some kind of artifact would work, as a replacement, or Discord as previously mentioned on this thread, but if she really wanted her horn back, i think its rather impossible by conventional means. 

There was a fan fic I read where some characters including Tempest Shadow get sent to the Pokémon World. It's this one, but the specific detail I'm about to refer to isn't until I think somewhere in the Chapter 80s, and the fan fic has 100 main chapters. In the fan fic, the Pokémon World's scientists and doctors use their much better technology to take a sample of Tempest Shadow's horn and DNA and use it to 3D print her a new horn, and the new horn works. I don't see Equestria getting that kind of technology for a LONG time, though, and there might have to be a few wars or other huge crises in there because war and other crises jump start technology and medicine development.

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2020 at 2:45 AM, SharpWit said:

Tempest can still conjure raw magical energy, but she can't aptly apply it for spell usage. The horn isn't the source for magic, but merely a way of channeling it in a controlled manner. You can think of what's left of her horn as an electrical cord that's been split. You can plug it in but all you'll get is sparks and maybe light the cord on fire. I've seen it happen, oddly enough while in a hospital. You can fix the cord by attaching it and completing the circuit of another. This could result in ongoing adverse effects if done incorrectly. Not just any cord works and neither may the original because it's too far damaged. The same could be applied to horns.

So, two possible resolutions. The most obvious and boring one, have Discord repair it. Rules hardly apply to him. The other, actually repair it be reattaching "a" horn. The real issue is Equestrian civilization may not be far enough along for such a procedure. Creating an artificial limb as was done for Rainbow Dash in the alternate Sombra time line is one thing, specifically am engineering problem. Horn repair may be comparable to brain surgery. If just the right thing is out of order it can screw everything up.

Crystals could be used to channel a spell or a magical flow, but I think you'd be limited to a single type of magic. If you wanted a focused blast or telekinesis, you'd need a separate crystal for each. The amount of magical energy put through the crystal would determine how powerful the spell is.

Tempest isn't dealing with a life threatening injury and this would be considered an elective procedure. She'll have to wait till we've got this pandemic handled before trying anything.

One would expect Equestria's medical community to have at least some research going in in that area - I doubt Tempest would have been the first unicorn to have their horn broken off like that.

It would be cool if it turned out that one of Tempest's childhood friends had dedicated her life to that sort of research - that not only had she not written Tempest off as defective, but had been busting her flank trying to produce the solution that Tempest had been so desperately searching for (fun idea for fanfic, perhaps?).

For what it's worth, the comics show Tempest using telekinesis, which she couldn't in the movie. No explanation was given, but the best I can think of is that Twilight had been giving her the magical equivalent of physical therapy, helping her get whatever non-violent magic she can out of what's left of her horn. Which would have tied in beautifully with the movie's message of friendship - it's not the same as a whole new horn, but it's WAY more than the Storm king ever did for her. 

Also: The plot to "The Cutie Pox" starts with Zecora cooking up a potion to fix Apple Bloom's chipped tooth - in essence, regenerating a missing body part. While here we're talking about regrowing a much larger body part (with magical properties that might present an additional challenge), it's not at all implausible that somepony could in time develop something that could achieve that. 

There's the problem with doing the "disability acceptance" thing from within speculative fiction if you're not careful.

Sending the message that people with disabilities shouldn't have to wait around for a cure before they can have lives worth living is good.

Insinuating that people with disabilities should have zero preference for being cured over not being cured, or that doctors and scientists shouldn't bother trying to find cures for things that are currently incurable? Not so good.

Edited by HedonismBot
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Sonic Shimmer said:

I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be the first unicorn ever to break her horn. Presumably there is no known way of fixing it or she wouldn't have needed to leave Equestria.

The hospital scenes in "Where the Apple Lies" include a brief shot of an unnamed unicorn with a broken horn. Judging from his expression, there evidently hadn't been much progress towards a solution there. Hopefully now that Equestria has a scientifically minded pony in charge, they can make a bit more headway.

Heck, Tempest knows her personally - one would think Twilight would happily direct a few extra bits towards prosthetics research if Tempest asked nicely.

I sometimes wonder if the comics will have a thing where some heretofore unknown magical discovery will present this possibility, to which Tempest would have to decide if that's what she truly wants.

Magic. *snort snort* Actually, striking a deal with the people who write her character arc. :Tempest:

All depends on the writer's intent, though the writer's intent so far is clearly to use Tempest's story as an example of why it's best to move on from what you've lost and accept yourself. :fluttershy: 

40 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Magic. *snort snort* Actually, striking a deal with the people who write her character arc. :Tempest:

All depends on the writer's intent, though the writer's intent so far is clearly to use Tempest's story as an example of why it's best to move on from what you've lost and accept yourself. :fluttershy: 

I think that's what people inferred happened to her while in the group shot in the final battle. Like she was contributing as well as the other unicorns.

Edited by Toastypk

On 2021-02-20 at 1:00 AM, Toastypk said:

I sometimes wonder if the comics will have a thing where some heretofore unknown magical discovery will present this possibility, to which Tempest would have to decide if that's what she truly wants.

Well, some have speculated that her signature magic blasts are possible specifically because there's no horn there to regulate the energy. Between that and the fact that she has her telekinesis back, it's quite plausible that she may conclude that she has enough magic to do what she wants to do with her life.

Though it would be awesome for her to get a prosthesis, come up against a villain, and dramatically yank the thing off to unleash her raw destructive power.

On 2021-02-20 at 1:03 AM, CloudMistDragon said:

Again, there's the problem with doing that kind of moral from within a universe that, by all logic, looks like it ought to be able to research a solution. For a culture so focused on friendship, using the line "You don't need to be not-disabled to be special" as an excuse to slack off with medical research is NOT a very friendly thing to do. Kerfuffle got a stylish prosthesis, why shouldn't Tempest?

And hell, look what they did with Scootaloo: Rainbow Dash gave her pet tortoise a propeller backpack with which to fly alongside her, but all Scootaloo ever got was a lecture from one of Equestria's top flyers about how she should have no preference for being able to fly over not being able to fly. But that's something for another thread altogether.

Unless of course it's just a matter of horn prosthetics/regeneration/transplants being a tough nut to crack, in which case, yeah, you ought to move on with your life.