Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think the inclusion of the student six is a political statement?

Sepul-Coloratura

The School of Friendship had no real function and brought nothing of interest to the show.

Season 5 brought the cutie mark friendship missions, and had a dictator as a bad guy. That could be considered more political than season 8. Also, I think many of us can say the most memorable episode was Sound of Silence, which had nothing to do with the school but rather the old friendship missions.

• Brohoof 3

No only political in the sense of diplomatic ties and the fact it affects ponyville in that way dealing with others. Not like political relating to some agenda or events. Yeah there might be a bit of diversity celebrating and of differences fitting in that kind of thing but it really only just builds on the same themes as before and more characters.

I did like the episode about the hippogriff guy who felt their home was in two places though i'm sure that's relatable for some people.

No, unless the statement is that the writing staff didn't feel they had enough material to sustain a series with just the Mane Six or even the Mane Six, Starlight and Trixie anymore.  

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

As much as I don't like the Student Six, it's hard to say whenever or not they're a political statement. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for diversity and inclusion. I love Zecora. I love Autumn Blaze! I love Little Strongheart! Those were diverse characters. I would love to have a diverse group of characters as long the characters are interesting and well-written. The problem with the Student Six is that they're not all that interesting. They're bland, annoying, and boring as characters. They're just carbon copies of the Main 6, except with different species. That's it. It also doesn't help that the students taking too much screen time of the main characters and in other episodes like Non Compete Clause making the Main 6 look completely dumb and have the Student 6 do the task for them. It's like, no? Why is that necessary?

I might be going on a tangent, but the Student Six remind me about Carter from the 80's Ninja Turtles cartoon during it's final seasons. Keep in mind, I'm not a Ninja Turtle fan, but this is for what I've heard from general consensus. For the final seasons of Ninja Turtles, Carter taking too screen time from the titular characters and have Carter to be the hero who saved the day when the Turtles gets in trouble, despite the fact The Ninja Turtles were supposed to be the heroes in the first place. Plus, Carter wasn't all the interesting as a character. The reason why that character existed was because it was corporately mandated by network executives just to gain ratings. Make it that for what you will.

Student Six does fell into that category a little bit, except that from I've heard the leaks and I'm not sure if this it's true or not, but they're done by Josh Haber and the writers themselves since Season 6. If it is true if this their intention, then I find it a complete slap in the face to not only Lauren's concept of the show, but to My Little Pony in general, especially when the franchise had celebrated it's 35th anniversary, and this is what we get? The My Little Creature Show?

Now, that's not to say that I don't want the Student Six to be included in every episode. It's okay to have them once in a while as long as they serve a purpose to the story, but not to the point where they taking over half of the season featuring them and the school because at that point, you making me miss Flurry Heart. I'm dead serious.

Overall, it's hard to say that the Student Six were a political statement since they're younger versions of the creatures Main 6 befriends with throughout the entire show. As for their characters themselves? They left a lot to be desired.

Then again, the Student Six does have their fans, so who am I to judge? By the way, if you guys are fans of the Student Six, please tell me why you liked them? I'm legitimately curious.

• The topic was locked