Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I Suggest That The Usage Of Emoticons Should Be Restricted In Some Way In Debate Symposium

EpicEnergy

Before I begin I want to clarify that this is not an attack against any particular users who use emoticons in Debate Symposium.

In regards to the usage of emoticons in Debate Symposium, I suggest that it should be restricted at the least and outright banished at the most.

Support for a restriction is as follows:

1) Emoticons are being overused and abused in Debate Symposium.

2) It normally comes across as condescending when emoticons are used in a post there.

3) Emoticons often infuriate your opponents and overemphasize your points.

4) Emoticons are not essential to a debate. Although they can be used to emphasize your point, other options are available to emphasize your point instead, such as putting your text in bolditalicizing it, or underlining it. Therefore to restrict it would not hurt anything.

There are three ways I suggest to restrict emoticons:

1) You can create a Debate Symposium rule that prohibits the usage of emoticons in that forum.

2) You can change the code in the forums to where it is impossible to use emoticons (not sure if it's feasible though).

3) You can create a rule that prohibits a particular usage of emoticons, such as in a condescending or infuriating way, just like the "laugh" reaction.

With that said, there is one other thing that I want to address. I highly suggest considering whether to ban certain emoticons or ban all of them. Some emoticons do not necessarily come across as condescending and can be used to emphasize a point. For example, let's say Joe Biden wins the election. I respond by saying, "I am greatly worried about what will happen to America now with Biden in office! :worry:" or by saying, "This is not what I want to happen! The election was rigged! :unamused:". In both cases, my usage of emoticons do not come across as condescending and they both emphasize my point. Therefore, perhaps outright restriction emoticons is not the answer, but rather restricting them being used in a particular way or particular context.

• Brohoof 3

@EpicEnergy

Member mentioned has been removed.

Let’s not call out other users here. You may have not meant it in a harsh way but calling attention to them could easily result in others attacking them. 

• Brohoof 3

I don't mind emoticons used in debates, but you can tell when they feel normal or not, and the lengths I've been seeing it from certain users just make them come off as a sarcastic ass

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, You said:

Those who know me are aware that I fully agree with that.

There are - and this isn't my opinion alone, far from it - I have spoken with numerous other users about the use of emoji of someone pretty specific, and I have yet to find another debatee that defends this specific use. :dash:

Independent of intention, which I am not seeing a well-meant myself, it certainly doesn't come off nice for sure. :proud:

The usage in this post is not my honest writing style but rather to illustrate the point. :fluttershy:

If anyone finds this post offensive - You pretty much got the point. >_>

You and I may have our differences but I am glad that we agree on this point.

• Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, Scar said:

I definitely agree with that. I may have used one or 2 so I am guilty myself, but, I think they should be completely removed from it.

Same.   I used a laugh react like one time in the debate section but the person was clearly a troll, and is banned now so I don’t feel like I need to defend my reasoning there.  

But I think it’s best they be done away with in that section.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, AppleButt said:

Same.   I used a laugh react like one time in the debate section but the person was clearly a troll, and is banned now so I don’t feel like I need to defend my reasoning there.  

But I think it’s best they be done away with in that section.

I would rather the section be removed completely. I only interact there out of boredem.

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Scar said:

I would rather the section be removed completely. I only interact there out of boredem.

I’m neutral on that standpoint, but I haven’t actually browsed that section in ages. 

• Brohoof 2

Frankly I just want the entire section gone and some previous actions taken by the mods reverted.

This to me is just something that doesn't really matter in any way whatsoever. Removing reactions might be worth a look into but emotes? I honestly don't see the point. If anything I think that emotes actually go both ways. On one hand, they can be used for the sake of being passive-aggressive. And on the other hand they can also be used to communicate certain things that may not be as communicable in words like tone in particular.

Edited by Dusknoir

The issue is less the emoticons but rather their abuse  for the purpose of provoking a reaction which goes against the spirit of the debate symposium. Smugness plays into the positive competitiveness that occasionally occurs in topics but only so much can be tolerated before the discussion falls apart.

I don't think emoticons should be removed or banned from the debate symposium, but they should be used in moderation.

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Dusknoir said:

Frankly I just want the entire section gone and some previous actions taken by the mods reverted.

This to me is just something that doesn't really matter in any way whatsoever. Removing reactions might be worth a look into but emotes? I honestly don't see the point. If anything I think that emotes actually go both ways. On one hand, they can be used for the sake of being passive-aggressive. And on the other hand they can also be used to communicate certain things that may not be as communicable in words like tone in particular.

I want the section gone as well, but what previous actions are you talking about?

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Meson Bolt said:

I agree with @Dark Bun, it's a violation of free speech. Let the emoters emote.

I wouldn't say so. If you choose to debate there, you should be aware of the rules. It would just be adding a rule. If you choose to be there, abide by the rules.

• Brohoof 1

THIS THREAD AND ALL OF THIS SECTION IS MEANT TO OFFER LEGITIMATE FEEDBACK ABOUT THESE FORUMS. THIS NOT A PLACE TO DEBATE OR TO TAKE ANY SHOTS AT EACH OTHER. ANY AND ALL POSTS DOING SUCH WILL BE REMOVED.

DISCUSSIONS CAN BE HAD BUT PLEASE KEEP IT RESPECTFUL. 

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Scar said:

I've felt that way more and more as time has gone on. Seems it's outlived its usefulness. Maybe once upon a time it made sense to have it, but not anymore.

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

I've felt that way more and more as time has gone on. Seems it's outlived its usefulness. Maybe once upon a time it made sense to have it, but not anymore.

I agree with that. The section these days is a cesspool, I have reported at least 2-3 posts every day. I think its time to put our foot down on that section.

• Brohoof 3

I disagree with this proposal because I do not believe we should be encouraging people to get mad over smileys. I do not like the Debate Symposium anymore, therefore, I do not use it. People making fools of themselves in DS with snide, haughty remarks have the right to an opinion and are only hurting their arguments by having a bad attitude. Censoring/removing DS is, at best, a solution to an external problem, it won't change the internal problem of such people not having a good attitude. Just live and let be. 

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I disagree with this proposal because I do not believe we should be encouraging people to get mad over smileys. I do not like the Debate Symposium anymore, therefore, I do not use it. People making fools of themselves in DS with snide, haughty remarks have the right to an opinion and are only hurting their arguments by having a bad attitude.

That's assuming they even care if their arguments are bad. Some of the activity that is being called out was, IMO, indistinguishable from trolling.

Why are you more concerned about "encouraging people to get mad over smileys?" First I'm guessing that was poorly-worded, because there's no logical way banning emotes there would "encourage" anything.

Keeping it around, why don't we just rename DS to the "troll bridge" and be done with it?

Or just have it redirect users to 4chan.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, ExplosionMare said:

How about people actually be nice to each other? After, all, this is a Friendship is Magic forum :pistachio:

That is exactly the reason the debate symposium should be removed. I don't understand why we need a debate section on a pony forum. 

• Brohoof 2

The answer to why there is a debate forum is simple.

If it hurts you, don't go there, easy right?

No one is forcing anyone to watch that place, everyone is free to steer clear of it.

I have fun in it to be honest, I like discussing, if the people who are discussing with me get angry that's their problem, they shouldn't have gone to the place at all.

Back to the point, I support the idea of banning emotes.

Bureaucratic answer: they can be used in two ways, to communicate certain things or to be sarcastic and aggressive. Not everyone is going to be the latter but for the sake of those people who are I would ban the emotes.

Logical answer: Common guys emotes are only used in one way, I would have expected you to ban them long ago.

• Brohoof 2

not this again, we've had the same shit with reactions in the past, it's a classic case of blaming the tool, there is a place for debate and emotes are just a way to express yourself more clearly, if someone abuses them then they're the problem, not the tools and it all comes back to the most basic of rules "don't be an asshole"

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Lord Valtasar said:

not this again, we've had the same shit with reactions in the past, it's a classic case of blaming the tool, there is a place for debate and emotes are just a way to express yourself more clearly, if someone abuses them then they're the problem, not the tools and it all comes back to the most basic of rules "don't be an asshole"

If the reactions are enabling users to be assholes in that section, then that is the exact reason they should be removed.

• Brohoof 1