Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Opinion on bionic prosthetics in future?

Vefka

So let's say we're at the point when bionic body parts became more functional than natural body parts. What would you think about that? Would you "change" your body parts for cyber ones or you're against it?

I have a thing for bionic prosthetics, they're one of my passions, in fact I even wanted to develop them in future! (but I realized that this job has a very risky way to get to) So I would (and will if I live up to this point) change at least my arms and eyes:yay:

Edited by Vefka
  • Brohoof 1

I would remove all the imperfections of my body. Then I would not have to worry about a thing, since I know I am so popular and non annoying, everyone will love me! *uses just the perfect annoying tone of my perfect voice*

10 minutes ago, Vefka said:

you're against it?

I am not going to complain to god about it, so I am not against it.

There are risks involved, like everything else. But I think the worst part about adding hardware to your body, is the software that automatically installs and tells you to go to Wallmart every odd minute. Popups directly into your eyes >_>

• Brohoof 3

I would want my toenails permanently removed. Have a thin lense over my eyes to offer better eyesight and adjustability to light levels. I would also want to get my teeth completely replaced without any adverse affects. 

• Brohoof 3

I'm a transhumanist. Of course I would like to have my brain somehow downloaded to a complete robotic body, and since my consciousness will be duplicated between my human body and my new robot brain I would just "end" my human self so they don't have to suffer the realization that they weren't the one that was transfered. 

Edited by Ittoni

To further the length of my life I would but I think I'd go more like iRobot where you couldn't really tell that Will Smith's character had had his arm ripped off, and maybe lower the strength settings while increasing nerve function so I can maintain normal rather than super human capabilities for the most part?

Sure I’m up for it! I have horrible eyesight; even with my glasses I don’t see well and I can’t drive at night for instance, so I’d like to get my eyes replaced. I’ll need laser surgery by the time I’m 50 anyway...

The big issue I see with bionic prosthetics though is the inequality they could cause. If they’re very expensive and only certain people could afford them, our society would divide even further among the haves and have-nots.

• Brohoof 2

I have seen the future. With technology today (mainly printers) come great advertising to high price.

I feel like nothing today, even bought all by itself without any competition, it trying to get those ads up your face. 

I will never trust technology added permanently to my face.

• Brohoof 1

More functional than natural body parts?

It depends how you define that. A robot arm might be stronger than your natural arm but it might break down and not repair itself like your meat arm usually does and it might lack a lot of sensitivity.

I recommend reading the book Electric State by Simon Stålenhag (it is an art book done). The entire world (USA that is) has gotten hooked by a helmet device that, once put on, becomes so addicting that society breaks down, and everyone are just zombies. The art is free, and can be seen at his website. Some fan animated the art as well:

Spoiler

(edited)
8 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

It depends how you define that. A robot arm might be stronger than your natural arm but it might break down and not repair itself like your meat arm usually does and it might lack a lot of sensitivity.

It can be quite more functional. Strength without need to attend gym, because it's technology you can do whatever you want to it and still be able to repair/replace it unlike the meat one, plus you would probably be able to set sensitivity threshold so you don't feel extreme pain. Eyes I think would be able to provide zoom, user interface, ability to stare at monitor for hours, etc

Sensitivity is only matter of time, nowadays prosthetics can already kinda "feel"

And overall esthetic of stylish cyber parts appeal to me more that normal body

Edited by Vefka

Maybe for people who have lost a limb I could see the benefits of bionic prosthesis. But for everyone else? I don't know I certainly wouldn't be interested in hacking up my body, besides injectable nanites for improved strength, sight, etc may well be not to far off to being a reality!

4 hours ago, Vefka said:

It can be quite more functional. Strength without need to attend gym, because it's technology you can do whatever you want to it and still be able to repair/replace it unlike the meat one, plus you would probably be able to set sensitivity threshold so you don't feel extreme pain. Eyes I think would be able to provide zoom, user interface, ability to stare at monitor for hours, etc

Sensitivity is only matter of time, nowadays prosthetics can already kinda "feel"

And overall esthetic of stylish cyber parts appeal to me more that normal body

You're talking about thousands of nerves. There are advantages to flesh that won't be improved on until we invent some kind of nanotechnology. Bionics could possibly be used to enhance eyes or create some kind of exoskeleton to enhance strength but there's no sense cutting off limbs for a long time.

29 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

You're talking about thousands of nerves. There are advantages to flesh that won't be improved on until we invent some kind of nanotechnology. Bionics could possibly be used to enhance eyes or create some kind of exoskeleton to enhance strength but there's no sense cutting off limbs for a long time.

Yeah true, but I was talking about future. Science is developing really fast and it will evolve to this point sooner or later

14 hours ago, Splashee® said:

I recommend reading the book Electric State by Simon Stålenhag (it is an art book done). The entire world (USA that is) has gotten hooked by a helmet device that, once put on, becomes so addicting that society breaks down, and everyone are just zombies. The art is free, and can be seen at his website. Some fan animated the art as well:

Reveal hidden contents

Dreamfall, the game, also has that kind of futuristic outcome. It's called like that because the people in the game's story are so depressed about their real lives that when they go into this VR social network/virtual world they can just loose themselves on it living their fantasies and they don't eat or sleep or take the thing away anymore because it's just better than reality. And of course the company that makes the VRs knows it and does nothing because it's just so profitable.

I think the game come out in the 90s or something and got a reboot

Dreamfall Chapters Review - Two Fates Bound Together As One

Edited by Ittoni

My antivirus program is constantly giving me all kinda of "cool and enhanced" warning about untrusty websites and trojans and all that. I think I already have found my winner that I want to merge into my body! Malwarebytes, here we go! :angry:

I've always thought living creatures (including humans) were disgusting, so given the chance and funds, I would replace as much of my body as possible. Having just a brain attached to a robot body would be cool. Not a pseudo-human body, but something that's obviously mechanical. If you're getting a robotic body, you should go all out instead of trying to make it seem like you're still human.

On the level of just prosthetic limbs, if they were at the point where they were just as good as natural limbs, I'd still love to replace as much as possible. Being able to repair broken parts in a matter of minutes or hours rather than wait and hope they heal would be convenient.

• Brohoof 2